“Basic But Well-Kept and Friendly”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
McGovern's Motel and Suites
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Sun Prairie
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Basic But Well-Kept and Friendly”
Reviewed 4 June 2007

McGovern's does a great job in providing a clean, comfortable stay. The outside appearance of this mid-20th-century motor hotel belies the property's renovations and upkeep. Don't expect terrific views, irons, free local calls, hair driers, or pool, but expect a clean, basic room with some nice touches... and wonderful staff.

I was issued a first-floor-teens room (11x) at the back of the property in the newer wing (built 1960). This section has locked interior corridors, unlike the originally built section. My room faced toward the parking lot, so I heard some of the restaurant/bar noise (which ended before 10) and overlooked a parallel-parked car, and, across the driveway, a collection of rental cottages. The rooms opposite (as well as the back window of front-section rooms) face a residential street and/or a declining strip mall, providing less potential for noise.

Notice: while the whole rear section is non-smoking, some rooms in the original section are adjacent to smoking rooms.

The light switches were a bit funky (master switch had be be on for any of the other lights to work, including the bathroom) and the bathroom was a bit tight. The sink was outside the shower stall and toilet. There was a combination fan/light for the bathroom.

Rates are very good-- my single was, with a AAA rate, under $42. Coffee, orange juice, and donuts were available and in a clean, appealing display. The owners and staff are dedicated to keep this older property in inviting shape.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Friendliness
  • Disliked — Distance From Main Highway
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Karras

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Racine
Reviewed 11 March 2007

I was at a club meeting in Cottage grove, For the Madison Sports car club and this hotel came up as the closest. I race a spec Miata, so Im used to staying at race tracks etc.

It looked a bit old on the net, and of course its not one of a chain of whatever hotels owned by non-locals. I read the reviews that were left for the hotel by others, and thought wth? I am alone this night (wife is a bit picky) and I'm not gonna be here all that long. So for the 45 bucks they wanted I would give it a try. (included a free drink next door to boot!

When I got there I was greeted by the sweetest lady, Bright eyes, friendly smile and silver hair. She was so cute, she reminded me of My Mom. I got the key (yep a key) hehe and went to the room kinda prepared for the worst. I too was VERY pleasantly surprised! The room was a tad small, but very adequate. In fact it surely was bigger than some Holiday inn micro hotels I have been in.

The bed was comfortable, the pillows were fine. Tv with cable was just fine, hehe even was able to find a wireless Internet connection for my new Laptop!

The Shower was a bit cramped, (I'm a 230 pound guy, and yes I fit in a miata <wink>) But the pleasant surprise of a GREAT water pressure and hot water made up for it! (I am so sick of showers that piddle water on ya anymore in hotels!)

All in all this was one of the best Hotel/motel experience's I have had in 4-5 years, and believe me, with my wife, they usually are 2-4 times the cost of this one!

Color me HAPPY!

• Liked — Cleanliness, and staff Freindliness
  • Disliked — size of the shower
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank willy1959
Madison, WI
Reviewed 5 June 2006

I stayed here as a result of the other tripadvisor review... had driven past it a million times and it's nothing to look at from the outside, but the room was big, VERY clean, and the queen size bed was quite comfortable. Made the reservation over the phone as they don't have online reservations. Was given coupons for two free drinks in their lounge/supper club which is just across the parking lot. Hotel is located near several other restaurants, grocery/pharmacy is within walking distance and the desk staff was very friendly. AAA rate was about 10% cheaper than regular rate - less than $50 a night for two people. I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
5 Thank b C
Reviewed 8 August 2005

Pulled into Sun Prairie at 11 at night with no reservations intending on staying at friend's house--but she had unexpected company with 7 kids already, so we declined her invitation and went off in search of a hotel. She recommended several chains--with prices from $79-$89 per night, but on our way, saw McGovern's Hotel, it was closer, and we figured it couldn't be any worse than some of the other places we had stayed that week, so...

Oh my, what a wonderful surprise! My husband and I had been traveling for a week, staying in a different hotel every night, and this was the largest, whitest, cleanest room we stayed in all week! They have recently refurbished, and we've stayed in Hyatts that weren't this nice!

No tub, but a tiled shower stall, with glass door, and so nice and clean! Plenty of big, fluffy white towels. Split bathroom with the sink outside the bathroom, and the decor of the vanity was a little dated, but again, really clean, with a nice small bottle of fragrant shampoo and numerous little soaps, etc. Instead of a dresser, there was a long desk--who actually puts their clothes away in hotel dressers any way? Nice comfy queen size bed, with new bedspread, that went well with the rest of the decor.

There is a small lounge and restaurant attached to the property for which we received 2 free drink tickets. No pool, continental breakfast, coffeemaker or hairdryer in room, but the price of the room was only $48, so who cares! We paid over $100 for the last room we stayed in this nice.

For our vacationing dollar, this was one of the best values we've ever received.

5 Thank Jess_Summers
Courtyard Madison East
#21 of 63 in Madison
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison
Fairfield Inn & Suites Madison East

Been to McGovern's Motel and Suites? Share your experiences!