“Great rates, food and close to Duluth”
Review of Barkers Island Inn

Barkers Island Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Superior
“Great rates, food and close to Duluth”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our family spent a couple of nights here with a couple of other families over MEA, and enjoyed it. The rates were very reasonable, and excepted pets! While this is not a 5 star hotel, you do get what you pay for, we very much enjoyed the pool, hot tub, and sauna and the fact that the pool front rooms were a perfect location. The bedding and room amenities are a bit older, esp the tvs. The restaurant and bar service/food were both good. We would have preferred to be in Duluth or the North Shore, but this was still an easy to and from, at half the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for a weekend in August. We brought our 2 kids & our dog. We chose this hotel because dogs are allowed and because it had openings for the weekend we were in town. It wasn't awful by any means, and I am not overly picky or anything, BUT I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again. The island itself and the setting is cool. The kids loved the pool. The hotel itself could definitely use some updates - I felt like I was in The Shining when I was walking in the hallway from our room to the pool. The beds and the pillows were not comfortable at all. The restaurant doesn't have free breakfast on the weekend, and it happened to be understaffed on the Saturday morning that we ate breakfast there. The food was fine, but I felt bad for the server. All in all, we had a great weekend in Duluth/Superior, but I definitely would not go out of my way to stay here again. I feel like it was overpriced for the value that we got. Next time we go to Duluth for a weekend, I will be sure to reserve our hotel well in advance so we have more options.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz C
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great! The rooms are. Nice size with a great view of the boats in the marina. There are bikes available to rent and you can get tennis rackets at the front desk to play at the court. There are nice bike trails around. Easy to get to the beach that's just down from the hotel and there is mini golf here too! While we were there we mostly swam in the pool, which was very clean. One of the staff members was spending lots of time steam cleaning all around the pool deck. It's nice to have a bar and restaurant right down in the lobby although service was slow. It was a glitch in there procedure and they gave us a discount to compensate for our wait. A special bonus for us is that they let small dogs stay there! I would definitely come again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank TheABSHtraveler
Savage, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed last night at Barkers Island Inn - the annual trek to Duluth, MN on Labor Day weekend. The big thing I like is the off the beaten path (from busy Canal Street in Duluth) and that the Inn is on an island so you have water to look at no matter what side of the hotel your room in located. The front desk people were very friendly. I had read other reviews of everything being outdated and was concerned. I asked for a room that had updated beds as I wanted a good night's sleep. The room was very clean and looked nice; it was a basic room with a small refrigerator and microwave (which is a good feature). Sadly, though, the "new" mattresses (if they are new) were cheap mattresses as you could feel every spring. The TV is an older, large back type TV; not a flat screen. The bathroom is spacious and nice, with a large area to put your items. Nice hair dryer unit is in the bathroom and they provide travel sized shampoo, conditioner, body and face soaps. The AC unit worked well (a plus on a hot day). This morning as I write this review I can hear the neighbor's TV very easily. Good thing I slept my hours already. Seems the walls are thin. Overall, not a bad place but the main reason I give this a 3 star rating is because of the beds.

Also, they have an onsight restaurant (typical American cuisine) that we did not try. The menu looked good though.

We did not try the pool area so I cannot write about that.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on top floor away from the elevator. With the thinness of the walls, I would rec...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

The rooms where out dated and everything was kinda off to the side.Pool area was neat but the hotub was closed.It had a sauna and showers.They had a little arcade.There was a bar and restaraunt there and looked good.We didn't eat there.I like the lobby theme.There is like mounts of deer and other creatures.They had a nice fire pit outside and a view of Lake Superior.Nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Minnesota
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Barker island Inn was a great location! The bay and marina view were superb and the staff was exceptional. The place needs to have the wallpaper put back onto the walls and the cleaning service to be retrained. No major problems but the old plastic liner was still in the ice bucket when we checked in and the in room coffee was only some decaf which we never drink. Had to go to the front desk to get these glitches fixed but they did so without a problem. Also, the jacuzzi was a comfortable temp but the jet action is very inadequate. We didn't try out the pool. The food was wonderful and the drink specials in the lounge were great. We definitely noticed the noise once the motel started to fill up with guests. However, I would go back here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room far enough away from the main and pool area to not hear noise from the bar or front...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I recently stayed at Barkers Island Inn on Lake Superior because it was the lease expensive hotel I could find in the area. I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel right on a marina, with a lovely patio restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful despite it being a very busy time of year. It was obvious that the rooms were well used, the carpet, the sheets and blankets. Everything was clean, just well used. For this reason I probably won't return, but for others to whom this is not a serious consideration I would say this is a great place to spend some time by the water and there is lots of space for children to play around the grounds.

Room Tip: Rooms at the south end of the hotel have their own entrance and are near the marina.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lightheart33345
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
Holiday Inn Express Superior
Super 8 Superior WI
Super 8 Superior WI
#1 of 9 in Superior
South Pier Inn on the Canal

Been to Barkers Island Inn? Share your experiences!