“Above Average” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Superior
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Above Average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Easy access location, good rates, clean rooms and courteous staff made for a very pleasant stay. I often stay at Holiday Inn Expresses and this location was clearly above average. Front desk folks were extremely helpful in providing directions and good local places to eat. I would definately stay at this location again when next in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
holidayinnx, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We are very happy to see you enjoyed our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. Positive feedback is a wonderful reminder of what we're doing well and how our hard work pays off! We are glad you enjoyed the location and breakfast and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Lake Ozark, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Even though this hotel is just a block from busy US2, it is surrounded by homes and it's very quiet. Rooms are comfortable and clean. I stay at HIE's almost exclusively and have to say that many of the Minnesota properties are a little bit above some other locations in location and quietness.

Room Tip: Except for the first floor, I'd think they're all pretty quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel. Wea re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we were able to meet your needs. Guest satisfaction is a main goal of our and we're happy to hear the hotel was nice and quiet allowing you to relax. We hope to see you the next time you're in town!
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I will start by saying, the manager tried. The first room we were given was poorly cleaned, there were spots of blood on the pillow and sheets. Maybe someone cut their finger while changing the bed and didn't notice. But it turned me off about the room and hotel. I talked to the manager on duty, showed her the bed, and she switched the room and gave me a discount. We did stay the night, but the beds weren't good like the other holiday inns I've stayed at. It's time to renovate some rooms and get some pillow tops.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichiganBenthere
holidayinnx, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave feedback about our hotel! We appreciate the time you set aside to forward your thoughts. We are deeply sorry to hear that your room was not the cleanest it could be. This review has been shared with the housekeeping staff and reminders to be extra careful making beds and paying close attention have been made. We hope to get the chance to host you at our hotel in the future and show you what customer satisfaction means to us!
Westmont, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here for a wedding over Labor Day weekend because the rates were slightly less than staying in Duluth which we should have because we had to pay to park over the 2 days everytime we went down to Canal Park for wedding events. Hotel was average and breakfast was below average.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving a review about our hotel! We are sorry to hear it was not completely up to your standards. The breakfast department has been notified of this critique and we are positive changes will be made for the better in the future. If ever you stay in the area again we hope to receive another chance to show you how much we appreciate our guests and their satisfaction!
Columbus, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We are frequent users of HIE and IHG chain when we travel. We thought this hotel would have a great view of Lake Superior. Did not. And if it had, it would have been at a distance. The ad did not directly claim lake views. But that is not the main reason for the "Average" rating.

We had the jacuzzi suite and expected one of the better mattresses. It was old and uncomfortable. The room itself was great and very spacious. It also seems that HIE has downgraded the breakfast menu as well.

We belong to the IHG points and are at a "high" level and the welcome was less than enthusiastic from the front desk.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreenLakerGA
Thank you for logging on to rate our hotel! We are sorry to hear your stay was not the way you expected it to be. We apologize for your discomfort with the bed and are sorry to hear the breakfast did not exceed your expectations. Your comments have been forwarded to managment and we are confident the necessary changes have been made to better ensure guest satisfaction. We hope you'll stay with us again and see!
Waconia, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

While swimming in the pool with my family, a homeless man came in and showered in the area. He stuck his hands down his pants and “cleansed” the area for an extended period of time on more than one occasion. I was thoroughly disgusted by the display and complained to the front desk and asked to have him removed from the area. After my second trip to the front desk to complain, the staff came to the pool area to speak with him. At that point, he was in the hot tub (3 ladies previously sitting in the hot tub vacated when he climbed in) when the staff came to speak with him. The staff member than motioned to me to come speak with her. I was advised that he pays for a pool pass to use the facilities and therefore she is unable to ask him to leave. My family and I then left the area and other families thanked me for standing up to say something. I reviewed the rate that I was paying for my room and became angrier still because my rate, I’m positive, was significantly more than he pays for a pool pass. I am livid that my family was not able to comfortably enjoy the pool facilities. It is a total disgrace that the hotel would allow that to happen considering that there were teenage girls in the area as well as other paying guests. We went as far as to research other hotels in the area that may have a vacancy because we did not even want to stay there. Unfortunately, everyone was sold out for the night so we were stuck. Upon speaking with the manager the following morning, I was told that they are not supposed to use those pool passes on the weekend. I explained to her that it would not have mattered even if it had been a Tuesday…a display such as that should NEVER happen and should certainly not be overlooked or dismissed by the staff because he is paying for a pass. He should have been removed from the area and if he refused, the police should have been notified to remove him. I considered calling the police myself but my husband did not think that was a good idea and talked me out of it. Apparently, his pool pass will not be renewed for the future but the damage is done for me and I will never return to this property.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Denise M
holidayinnx, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
We are terribly sorry to hear of your recent experience at our hotel. We take much pride in providing the best service and overall satisfaction to each and every guest and apologize for not meeting your needs. All staff were spoken to about this particular situation and were directed how to handle anything of the sort in the future. We are sorry to hear that this experience has eliminated our property from your list of places to stay while in the area and hope that in the future we may get another chance to show you how important our guest's experiences are to us.
Jenks, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

First room they gave us clearly had a mildew smell, but they were quick to find us a room without that problem. Then, we had to remember that all prices during the "season" are high...there is always a question of, "is it worth it?" In our case, we had to request more towels and washclothes than they stocked, the TV was out for a day before it was repaired (they did adjust our costs to reflect that), and personnel were often hard to find when they were needed. But, it was the roof we needed over our heads when it was needed. Still not sure it was worth the rate..

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
BEST WESTERN Bridgeview Hotel
Park Point Marina Inn
#2 of 33 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!