“Unprofessional staff”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Superior
Brodhead, Wisconsin
“Unprofessional staff”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This trip was a celebration for my grandson's 3rd birthday. My daughter had stopped at the hotel twice making sure they had room for the party and was told NOTHING was going on this last weekend. We got to the hotel one hour prior to the start of the party and found both rooms filled! The manager attempted to get us another room at other hotels in the area...after each call she would look at us and call the person on the other end names (I won't even type them) BUT in her defense she bent the rules and allowed us to set up the party by the pool as long as we agreed to clean up when we were done. At this point we raised our eyebrows about her behavior and went about the party. Three hours into our party and a different manager and I was approached and told, "You have to leave now. You are impeding our other guests from using the pool." It should be noted we had paid for three rooms at $130.00 each. When I stood up to see who was talking like that I found TWO women with their hands on their hips. Both worked at the front desk. Again, this is a child's birthday party. When I told them we were paying guests she stated the tables had to be removed. When I turned to speak to my daughters one of the made a face behind my back. Needless to say we cleaned up, returned their tables and left the pool area. The pool had a sign for capacity at 19...the hot tub's capacity was 10. When I returned to get a towel I counted over 50 people in the pool and there were so many people in the hot tub another person couldn't have fit. There was a large group cooking in the hotel lobby for their group-it was a total zoo. My daughter lives in Superior so we stay at different hotels in the area often and I can tell you we will NEVER EVER stay here again and I will make sure none of our family does. If this is how holiday inn express runs I won't stay at any of them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jodie j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear jodie j,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Best Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've stayed at this HIX multiple times in the past year and usually am satisfied with the property. Just completed a two night stay and was very disappointed this time. Check in experience was good, now they are offering 500 bonus points or bottle of water and snack to Platinum Elite. Nice to see IHG implement a welcome gift. Room was clean, no upgrade for Platinum Elite, though not sure what room types are really available here. Had a nice view of the garbage dumpsters! Limited hot water in the morning. Shower temperature fluctuated between warm and coldish-warm. Breakfast was underwhelming - expired milk cartons and only fruit was two beat up tangerines. Staff was notified of expired milk but a few expired cartons remained the next day. The tiled section of the breakfast room must have had syrup spilled on it as it was very sticky. This was not resolved the next day either. Would have expected better cleanliness. The biggest problem I encountered is the COMPLETE LACK OF SECURITY AT THE REAR DOOR. I WOULD NOT LET MY WIFE STAY AT THIS HOTEL AND WOULD RECOMMEND ANY SINGLE FEMALES AVOID AT ALL COST. The rear door has nonfunctional key card access. Instead of fixing the door, they have simply put duct tape over the door latch to keep it open 24/7. This is completely unacceptable and should be remedied immediately. I will no longer stay at this property as they clearly do not have their priorities figured out. Guest safety should be paramount.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MUcyclist06
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear MUcyclist06,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 25 January 2014

After a comfortable night's sleep in a bed where the pillows were abundant and labeled "fluffy" and "thin," we awoke to the sun shining brightly on Lake Superior just outside our window. We'd head down to the breakfast bar where hot, tasty coffee and a beautiful array of breakfast items awaited us, kept stocked by a friendly host of individuals. There were items for every taste and interest, including fresh fruit, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and sweet stuff if that's your thing.

This alone should sell you on this place. But if it doesn't, here are some more details:

~Super friendly front desk staff.
~Nice lobby - and of all strange things to notice, the speaker music was always good. I would find myself singing to the music while I waited for the elevator. Yup - I was geeking out in the lobby of the Holiday Inn.
~Great pool area.
~Microwave available so we could eat leftovers one night - thank you very much!
~Modern bathroom with bright lighting for makeup application - super appreciated.
~Clean clean clean clean clean room!
~Clean hallways
~Quiet - and we were there during a hockey tournament so the place was filled with hockey families. Still - wonderfully quiet.
~Late checkout available - super appreciated.
~Convenient access to the main throughways in Superior.
~Safe (well, I mean, it's Superior: it's always safe - but that's still important!)
~Good nearby restaurants

This is a beautiful facility that anticipates your needs. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-facing room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Racine
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed for the weekend, Nov 15 & 16th. The inn is a little pricy for the area. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast bar was one of the best we have experienced. Two thumbs up to the morning staff. Pool area was clean and comfortable considering the amount of young people in the hotel. Will stay here again when in the Superior area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Marshfield
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Whenever I go to Superior I always choose those hotel mainly for it's location, definitely not by price which is a little high for the area. I am a rewards member, and they always recognize that and make sure I get the same room I always request. They seem to be doing a lot of changes, but should definitely consider changing their beds. They are not pillow top and sometimes it takes awhile to get comfortable. Other than the beds, everything else about this place is great! It's always clean and the service is just right.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara H
Waukee, Iowa
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Probably one of the best HIE we've stayed. Super clean, quiet, and well appointed rooms. Great location convenient to everything. The staff was outstanding; very friendly and helpful. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful. We will definitely stay here from now on when in the Duluth area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
holidayinnx, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your stay. Our main goal is guest satisfaction and we are excited we met your needs. Hope to see you back soon!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We really enjoyed staying at the HIE in Superior. We liked that it was not in the center of everything but only a 5 minute drive across the bridge to get into downtown Duluth. The room was modern and clean. The service at the hotel was pleasant and we loved being able to enter and exit multiple ways. The complimentary breakfast was surprisingly pretty good. We just enjoyed our stay overall and was also able to make it up to Betty's Pies in Two Harbours in about 20 minutes. It was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Croomism
Thank you for leaving your feedback for us to read! We are very happy you enjoyed your stay. Guest satisfaction is our main goal and we are delighted we met your needs. We are glad you enjoyed our easy access location and the breakfast as well. Hopfuly we'll see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
BEST WESTERN Bridgeview Hotel
Comfort Inn West
Comfort Inn West
#12 of 33 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!