“First time and will return”

Holiday Inn Express Superior
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Superior
Twin Cities, MN
“First time and will return”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Spent two nights at the HIE on a business trip to the Twin Ports. The front desk staff (Jane) was efficient and friendly. The room was nicely appointed and clean. I wasn't paying for a view, so the garbage dumpsters on the south side didn't bother me at all. The complimentary breakfast was above average - scrambled eggs sausage, pancakes, pastries, etc. I didn't use the recreational facilities so am unable to comment on them. All in all, I was quite satisfied and will return when business brings me to the area.

Room Tip: 3rd floor. Nobody above.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Calumet, Michigan
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We greatly enjoyed our stay, loved the hot tub, hot breakfast, rooms were nice, front desk staff was nice. However, I noticed I had left a pair of expensive slippers so called there to see if they had found them. At first they said no, but I called again with my exact date of stay and that person checked the lost and found and they had not been logged but she found them from my description. Since I live 5 hours away she said they would ship them if I pay the shipping. I gave her my credit card and address. She put the incorrect zip code on the package so it spent a few weeks in Colorado before I was able to send a message from my post office to Colorado and they corrected the error. When I received the slippers they had charged my credit card $2.50 more than it actually cost to ship, and I know it wasn't for packaging because they reused an old box. I had not agreed to an overcharge, seems dishonest. It was a good stay but that ruined the good impression I had of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Shawnandjessm,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Superior, WI.

Orlando A.
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Before I begin, let me say that I am not a complainer nor a perfectionist when it comes to hotel stays. I feel I needed to let others who are thinking of staying here what our experience was this past weekend. This Holiday Inn Express is convenient, clean & nicely staffed. But, the bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows were horrible and the walls are completely non sound proof!!!! We could hear absolutely everything from the rooms next to us, above us and below us! Let's just say, there are things happening in hotel rooms that one doesn't need to hear, let alone loud televisions and screaming little ones. The complimentary breakfast was fine. The food was pretty tasteless, but as my husband said, "it is something in the stomach". The pool area is also just okay. FYI, the hot tub is NOT a whirlpool. It is a small warm pool that allows children....even diapered children. Head the warning on this one!!! If we went to this area again, I am pretty sure we would pay the extra and stay in Duluth where there are many more choice places to stay for over one hundred dollars a night! Sad to say, we will not ever return to this hotel.

Room Tip: If I were to choose, I would choose the 3rd floor so that you wouldn't get noise from above and...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandykj
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Sandykj,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We truly regret to see the bed prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do appreciate your high scores for Cleanliness, Rooms, and Service. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2014

A problem too often seen. Saturday from 7 pm to 8 pm the hot tub was crowded as we expected the problem was that it was full of adults drinking alchohol. My 15 year old son and I could not find any room.

Room Tip: no shades since heater/ ac was right in front of the window
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Brodhead, Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This trip was a celebration for my grandson's 3rd birthday. My daughter had stopped at the hotel twice making sure they had room for the party and was told NOTHING was going on this last weekend. We got to the hotel one hour prior to the start of the party and found both rooms filled! The manager attempted to get us another room at other hotels in the area...after each call she would look at us and call the person on the other end names (I won't even type them) BUT in her defense she bent the rules and allowed us to set up the party by the pool as long as we agreed to clean up when we were done. At this point we raised our eyebrows about her behavior and went about the party. Three hours into our party and a different manager and I was approached and told, "You have to leave now. You are impeding our other guests from using the pool." It should be noted we had paid for three rooms at $130.00 each. When I stood up to see who was talking like that I found TWO women with their hands on their hips. Both worked at the front desk. Again, this is a child's birthday party. When I told them we were paying guests she stated the tables had to be removed. When I turned to speak to my daughters one of the made a face behind my back. Needless to say we cleaned up, returned their tables and left the pool area. The pool had a sign for capacity at 19...the hot tub's capacity was 10. When I returned to get a towel I counted over 50 people in the pool and there were so many people in the hot tub another person couldn't have fit. There was a large group cooking in the hotel lobby for their group-it was a total zoo. My daughter lives in Superior so we stay at different hotels in the area often and I can tell you we will NEVER EVER stay here again and I will make sure none of our family does. If this is how holiday inn express runs I won't stay at any of them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jodie j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear jodie j,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Best Regards,

Pam G
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've stayed at this HIX multiple times in the past year and usually am satisfied with the property. Just completed a two night stay and was very disappointed this time. Check in experience was good, now they are offering 500 bonus points or bottle of water and snack to Platinum Elite. Nice to see IHG implement a welcome gift. Room was clean, no upgrade for Platinum Elite, though not sure what room types are really available here. Had a nice view of the garbage dumpsters! Limited hot water in the morning. Shower temperature fluctuated between warm and coldish-warm. Breakfast was underwhelming - expired milk cartons and only fruit was two beat up tangerines. Staff was notified of expired milk but a few expired cartons remained the next day. The tiled section of the breakfast room must have had syrup spilled on it as it was very sticky. This was not resolved the next day either. Would have expected better cleanliness. The biggest problem I encountered is the COMPLETE LACK OF SECURITY AT THE REAR DOOR. I WOULD NOT LET MY WIFE STAY AT THIS HOTEL AND WOULD RECOMMEND ANY SINGLE FEMALES AVOID AT ALL COST. The rear door has nonfunctional key card access. Instead of fixing the door, they have simply put duct tape over the door latch to keep it open 24/7. This is completely unacceptable and should be remedied immediately. I will no longer stay at this property as they clearly do not have their priorities figured out. Guest safety should be paramount.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MUcyclist06
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Superior, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear MUcyclist06,

Krysllin G.
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 25 January 2014

After a comfortable night's sleep in a bed where the pillows were abundant and labeled "fluffy" and "thin," we awoke to the sun shining brightly on Lake Superior just outside our window. We'd head down to the breakfast bar where hot, tasty coffee and a beautiful array of breakfast items awaited us, kept stocked by a friendly host of individuals. There were items for every taste and interest, including fresh fruit, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and sweet stuff if that's your thing.

This alone should sell you on this place. But if it doesn't, here are some more details:

~Super friendly front desk staff.
~Nice lobby - and of all strange things to notice, the speaker music was always good. I would find myself singing to the music while I waited for the elevator. Yup - I was geeking out in the lobby of the Holiday Inn.
~Great pool area.
~Microwave available so we could eat leftovers one night - thank you very much!
~Modern bathroom with bright lighting for makeup application - super appreciated.
~Clean clean clean clean clean room!
~Clean hallways
~Quiet - and we were there during a hockey tournament so the place was filled with hockey families. Still - wonderfully quiet.
~Late checkout available - super appreciated.
~Convenient access to the main throughways in Superior.
~Safe (well, I mean, it's Superior: it's always safe - but that's still important!)
~Good nearby restaurants

This is a beautiful facility that anticipates your needs. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-facing room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
Best Western Bridgeview Hotel
Super 8 Superior WI
Super 8 Superior WI
#1 of 9 in Superior
Comfort Suites Canal Park

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!