“It's back - and much better.”
Review of Pine Isle Sports Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Pine Isle Sports Bar & Grill
Price range: US$6 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Description: At Pine Isle Sports Bar & Grill, we believe in old fashioned hospitality, great service and classic food—like char-broiled hamburgers, grilled tuna steak sandwiches or our mini beer battered brats. We also start every meal using real ingredients and prepare them following recipes. It seems so basic, but makes such a difference.
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Pine Isle recently reopened under new management. With chef Lori Dick in the kitchen it's a whole new place. The menu is less extensive than before, but perfect for what PI aspires to be, a sports bar, a stop on the snowmobile trail, a place to boat to for lunch or dinner, a place to meet friends for beers or Manhattans. Friday fish fry was very good, as was the walleye sandwich. The calamari appetizer was tasty, and they have tater tots. If they add pan fried walleye with jalapenos and capers, it would be heaven.

And the service is fast and friendly. Good luck to the new crew at the Pine Isle.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

One of the joys of being on the Three Lakes Chain, or boating any body of water, is being able to go out to eat. It's fun to arrive somewhere by boat, walk up the pier and enjoy good company and good food at a lakeside restaurant.

We have visited the Pine Isle several times over the past 5 years that we've vacationed on the chain. Last summer (2012) the lack of friendly staff was memorable to us all. With the Pine Isle being one of the only restaurants on the chain for dinner, we decided to give them another shot this summer (Aug 10-17th). Our first visit on this vacation was on Saturday, August 10th, and I'm looking at a receipt from 6:52pm. If your the owner reading this, please talk to your waitress who was working at this time, and further soured the reputation of your restaurant with us. Her attitude was cold, uncaring, and completely unwelcoming. It became apparent that our family of four was nothing but a burden to her during our visit. WAITSTAFF, you can really make someone's stay memorable with smile, and welcoming attention to your customers. This young lady would be fired immediately if she was part of my staff. It really is too bad because your hot wings were awesome!

I mentioned that the Pine Isle is one of the only restaurants on water in Three Lakes, and the hot wings were awesome. Sooooo, we decided to give the Pine Isle another shot (for the hot wings). We visited again on Aug 16 at 4pm. The bartender working at this time was very good and attentive, friendly and welcoming. I noticed miss pissy pants waitress was also working (again without a smile) for a private birthday party taking place. We ordered another great batch of hot wings as an appetizer, then planned to go to dinner somewhere else. The wings took so long to arrive that we had to cancel our dinner reservations, and decided to have a fish fry at the Pine Isle. For dinner, we were tended to by a young, new waitress who was very friendly and welcoming. She came out to apologize several times because the food took just over an hour to arrive from the time we placed our order. The fish was tasty, but after spending 3 hours at the Pine Isle listening to alternative rock blasting out of the outdoor speakers, swatting flies, staring at tables covered in empty beer cans and cups and dirty napkins, and watching pissy pants waitress serve the private party, we had enough.

We will likely be back to the Pine Isle next year, but only because of your hot wings and your monopoly on the lakefront restaurant biz. Waitstaff: putting on a smile and making someone's visit to the Pine Isle fun would probably get you some good tips, and make the restaurant a place to look forward to visiting.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I showed up to this establishment this past weekend with my wife and twin boys. We were out boating and looking to catch some dinner. We stepped in the door only to be greeted by extremely loud rap music. It was loud enough that my wife and I could not hear each other talk without raising our voice. The bar was full of people that were already drunk at 6pm. It was basically a northern night club. The bartender acknowledged us by saying hi, but then went back to watching television. We sat down at a table and waited for service. We were the only people at the tables. Everyone else was up at the bar. It was clear that we came to eat. We waited over 5 minutes, looking around the place waiting for someone to come to our table or ask us what we wanted. The loud music just kept playing, the drunks were swearing at the bar, and no one came to wait on us AT ALL! We stayed those 5 minutes and left. I have never felt so disrespected in my life. I felt embarrassed for my wife and two boys. To walk in and not be helped was absurd. Meanwhile, the bartender just sat back and watched TV while the people at the bar cussed and joked with each other. This was not a family environment, the service was ludicrous, and I will NEVER go back. I doubt anyone even saw us leave. They could've cared less that we came for dinner. I am utterly disgusted with Pine Isle and I do not recommend it to anyone for any reason whatsoever.

1  Thank Randy J
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We were sitting at the bar having lunch and a few drinks, the bartender who was a young guy went on and on about all his bar and restaurant experience. Bartender was approximately 25 years old, how much experience could you have at that age. It was apparent that he was the buddy of the "NEW" young owner who sat at the end of the bar with a bandana on waiting to cook a burger.I understand DADDY bought him the place so there is definitely a lack of experience and customer service. I also believe the bartender kid was trying to take credit for teaching the new owner kid how to run a restaurant. Quite the experience.

1  Thank horsey1230
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We used to go here regularly. The food was great, view is fantastic, fun to come in the boat. But after several ownership changes, it just has fallen apart. We went there last summer (2012) with a family group. There were flies everywhere, landing on our glasses, etc. We complained and the waitress said, oh well, it's the season for flies. It was very unappetizing. We won't go back again. We gave them several tries over the last 5 years because of the good history of the place, but it's just too expensive to eat out and just "hope" that this time it will be better.