“Nice restaurant with pleasant rooms”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holkham
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed just one night at the Victoria. The Inn, as this is certainly not a hotel, is certainly very pleasant. The room, albeit one of the tiniest I've stayed in (the bed filled the room to the extent you couldn't open the door properly to enter), was clean and comfortable. Bed soft, super shower, tea making facilities. The restaurant pretty much occupies the entire ground floor with little provision for overnight guests. There is a small room set aside for hotel guests but it's small and has about as much charm as a waiting room. Even the bar doesn't offer a decent place for a hotel guest to relax with a few wooden tables and chairs. Staff lovely and cheerful but a little clueless. We were told on arrival on Saturday that Holkham Hall was open, which it was not. Told that the gate to the beach car park was locked after 6 pm which it was not. For £200 a night we can do much better than this.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 at all costs! It's super tiny and the noise from the outside bar area on a warm ev...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wgoater
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback from your recent stay at the Victoria. Whilst it is pleasing to read that that you found the Victoria pleasant and the staff both lovely and cheerful it is disappointing to read that you did not find the layout of the building sympathetic to you as guests in the Inn’s accommodation. I am sure however that you will appreciate we operate within the constraints of an 19 century coaching Inn and have made every effort to make the space available to us as practical as possible for modern accommodation needs. Complementary port, brandy and whiskey are made available to guests in the residents lounge. Please be assured that the issues you raise around opening times of the hall and grounds have been addressed and accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just had to recommend the excellent fish n chips , we had sitting in the gardens of The Victoria on a sunny lunch-time. The fish was fresh, the batter perfect and the chunky chips to die for. Maybe the best 'fish n chips' ever !!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for a great review, I will be sure to share your kind thoughts with the kitchen team.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We holiday with a group of friends every year in the area. The Victoria is always on our itinerary for first lunch and pre walking lunch.
We have been a little disappointed in recent years with just OK food but good beer.
This year a very pleasant surprise, great good value lunches both in the outside courtyard and the dining room.
Service was excellent, friendly and relaxed. We are there three times in seven days. One small niggle, the crab/prawn rolls were very heavy on the bread and would benefit from a lighter touch. Overall thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for you kind review and continued support of the Victoria, It is pleasing to read that all the effort and hard work that the team have put into the new look Victoria has paid off and that you have see an improvement year on year. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We just spent our 30th wedding anniversary weekend at the Victoria and had a wonderful time. Food excellent, flexible around time for dining (traffic at Kings Lynn was terrible and a three of our lunch guests were delayed an hour). Rooms were immaculate, view out across to the maritime pines at Holkham beach. We had our dog with us and it's the only restaurant we've ever dined in where we've been asked what our dog would like for breakfast ! The staff are superb.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank farmer057

I am delighted that you chose to spend you anniversary weekend at the Victoria and that the team were able to make it a wonderful time for you both. We hope to see you back again in the future

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had a lovely family meal last night. Well looked after by the friendly staff, drinks out side then in for a great meal. Slight disappointment with a pudding that was dealt with very well by the girl serving us, so completely forgiven. Friendly, good food, put up with teenagers and reasonably priced. Well worth a visit, especially if you are visiting the estate's glorious beach.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience, I am pleased to read that both the service and meal met with your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I and my daughter visited today. What can I say beautiful building and inside, my daughter and I decided to have a lite lunch outside on the terraced. Limited seating area a kind family allowed us to sit on the end if there table. Children's menu very limited my daughter 4years wanted a sandwich which the choices were smoked salmon, crab, prawn and crab on asking if they could do her a simple cheese and ham I got we only do those, so I asked again if they could not do a simple ham and cheeSe sandwich the waitress huffed and said I will have to check with other kitchen, on returning they said it was ok. She poured my drink and walked off leavings standing there waiting to pay, the other girl on till asked who was next I politely asked if the other girl was going to finish my order she too mutted under her breath whilst chewing her gum and took money. The kitchens extractor fan blows straight into the courtyard making the smell of grease and smoke from the steaks whilst your eating not very pleasant

On food arriving my daughters sandwich was fine, but mine was half a baguette filled with not much tuna a small glass jar of coleslaw which tasted awful and a crab shell full of stale crisps ( why would u put crisps in a used crab she'll is beyond me and should state on menu as many people are allergic to shell fish)

All in all wasn't a nice visit to be treated like that. Won't be returning

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Barbara R

Thank you for thanking the time to share your experience with us, I am sorry to read of your disappointments on your recent visit to the Victoria.
Whilst I am pleased to read that you did receive the ham and cheese sandwich you requested I am disappointed that this request was clearly not handled as well as it could have been by a member of our team, although I would certainly suggest that checking with the kitchen that they indeed had ham for the sandwich was the right thing to do as ham is not something that kitchen would definitely have during lunch service as it does not feature on our lunch or dinner menu.
The kitchen extractor at the Victoria actually faces away from the courtyard to the west of the property to limit its impact to the smallest area possible. Regrettably one of the major disadvantages of running a modern catering business in such a beautiful old coaching inn is making the old building work with modern catering needs and unfortunately with the listed building status suitable solutions are not always possible to rectify such problems easily.
With regard to your comments on the tuna roll and presentation of crisps in crab shell, I am sorry that you did address the quantity of filling and coleslaw with a member of the team as this could have been easily addressed at the time. The crab shells used for the presentation of the crisps are purchased as a presentation shell and not used shells; this is done to fit in with the theme of the outside food offering “THE CRAB SHACK”.
Should anybody have a shellfish allergy and raise a concern with us regarding this presentation we would of course be only too happy to address the presentation of their food on an individual basis.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Service was ok on this hot busy Thursday - We were seated promptly and the restaurant was cool and refreshing with a nice relaxed atmosphere. Drinks were reasonably priced and were served promptly. The menu was limited in choice which indicated to me fresh cooked food - the food - My wife selected the Lemon Sole with Caper sauce. The sauce was far too greasy/buttery, in fact the plate was swimming in clarified butter, the Sauté potatoes needed crisping up to give them colour and texture. I had the fish and chips which was unseasoned and quite tasteless. More care should have been taken with the flavours and seasoning rather than fitting the chips into a paper bag. The salad was limp and unappetising. However, I would recommend the tartare sauce.

Would I bother again? I don't think so there is more to offer in Wells.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Victoria with us. Whilst I am please to read that the drinks pricing and service met with you approval I am a little surprised to read that you found our menu with 9 starters, 12 main courses and 7 desserts limited, although you are correct in assuming that all our food is freshly prepared to order. The sauce served with the Lemon Sole on our current menu is actually caper butter not sauce and is worded as such on the menu. I will be sure to address the issues you raise regarding the sauté potatoes, seasoning and salad with the kitchen team and I am sure they will use this constructively to improve upon your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holkham
The Hoste
13 mi away
Le Strange Arms Hotel
Le Strange Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hunstanton

Been to The Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!