“Family Visit”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Tomah
IL
“Family Visit”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Arrived where front desk was very helpful and checked us in with ease. Went to check out our room which was clean and spacious. Did have a few gnats and bugs sneaking in with us which did mention they said they would take care of this for future guests. Breakfast is ok you go to Perkins with an adult choice or 5 dollar credit and for kids a kids choice or a credit for them as well. Did have to pay for an upgrade due to a celiac who could not eat anything so .99 for hash browns. Pool area was great kids had a great time in there. Area for dogs is wonderful they can run stretch their legs and be happy. There is also a court yard for family to enjoy outside. Easy on and off to highway. Gas stations and stores very close. Great for us visiting family.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and your time with your family!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Pineville, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Thus hotel was very nice as was the staff. My only issue is the blatant racism I experienced from the Perkins restaurant and the stares from ALL the residents in the hotel as well as in the town of Tomah. I hated this place. As a soldier attending school at Ft McCoy I was unable to experience the fun things Wisconsin had to offer because of the looks and comments made by these bumpkins. If you are African American, stay away from this place.

• Stayed July 2014
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We here at the Best Western Tomah Hotel are glad to hear that you liked the hotel and that our staff treated you with the respect all people, especially our military deserve. We hope that if you find yourself in the area for additional training that you will stay with us again.
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I am not sure where to start. First impression of the hotel: old and dingy. The first room did not lock; upon exiting the room and checking the door, it opened right back up. My second room was musty and had the lingering stench of cigarettes smoked long ago. My third room was no better - it also smelled and the carpet was stained and the furniture worn. I gave up by that point. I called the other hotel in the area to check for an opening, but they were full. I went to the store and bought air freshener spray to make the room more tolerable.

My second or third night the smoke alarm went off at around 11 or 11:30 PM. It smelled like something was burning inside the air conditioner unit. I went down to the front desk and they sent a porter to my room. The porter was useless. He couldn't identify the cause of the smell and just cranked the temperature in my room down to run the AC to try and dissipate the smell.

Other downfalls: the walls and doors are thin. Be prepared to hear everything going on in the halls and rooms around you. I could hear the washer and dryer running from my room. The WiFi is terribly slow and it disconnects often. Smokers are encouraged to smoke right by Entrance C; the hotel has placed an ashtray right outside the door so smokers congregate on the steps and smoke fills the entrance and the hallway. Housekeeping isn't thorough - the comment card left in the room was already filled out by

The only nice thing about the hotel is the fitness center. The equipment is nice and in fairly good shape.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
We'd like to not only apologize for not meeting your expectations, but also let you know that we are correcting the issues that you encountered.
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Very clean, large clean pool and clean whirlpool; very comfortable beds; friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast voucher for the Perkins coffee shop - nice to have a hot meal - had to wait about 20 min. to be seated for b-fast on Saturday morning, but worth the wait. Nice fitness center. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for the review! We hope to see you again soon!
Spring Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The reviews I read on this hotel stated all wonderful things. Yes, it features breakfast at Perkin's in the same building; yes, the beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean; yes, it was located well; and yes, it had a great thermostatic temp control on the room a/c, which kept the fan going all night and the a/c kicked on and off very quietly. That's a real plus in my book.

However, let's have some balanced reporting here. This hotel appears to have been a Holiday Inn a long, long time ago. Our entrance door, Door C, was difficult to navigate with luggage, or even without luggage, as it was a high curb plus 3 or 4 steps up and an airlock entry needing a key card, hardly handicap accessible or even helpful. My elderly parents needed to be very careful, and I saw a teenager with a newly broken leg and on crutches have to struggle to get up the stairs and in. What bothered me more was that the hotel's hall carpets were quite dirty and worn, the entire hotel had a very musty, unfriendly, "old" smell to it, and lighting in the hallways was quite dark and depressing. Because of these issues, my first impression was that it was not going to be a good stay, though we were quite comfortable in our room. Still, it was hard to get over the "ick" factor from that negative first impression.

My shower in room 131 had issues: the flow from the shower head was not a nice spray, but rather a drizzle which could be adjusted from a hard drizzle to a light drizzle, and my 5-minute short shower ran out of hot water at the end -- at 6:30 on a Sunday morning!!! Really?!?! I notified housekeeping of the problem, as they were lining up their carts early that morning right outside my door.

I must say that the housekeeping ladies as well as the desk clerks are very friendly and helpful. Kudos to them!

We got a pretty good, not screaming good, deal on Priceline, but next time I'll try one of those nice-looking mom-and-pop places on the main drag through downtown Tomah.

Sorry, Best Western -- you're just barely making Average on this stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We'd like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We did convert from a Holiday Inn to a Best Western a few years ago.

I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience your family endured by using Entrance C. Many of our guests like to know which door is closest to their room, while some of our guests prefer to use Entrance B or D as they do not have steps like Entrance C.

We hope you'll decide to give us another chance the next time you are in the area.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

After checking on Trip Advisor for a reasonably priced hotel, we stayed here on our way back from Minnesota. The rooms were nice sized and very reasonably priced. I purchased the rooms on Price Line for a very reasonable rate. When staying at this hotel, you receive a voucher for the Perkins restaurant next door. Great food and service!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you on your next trip through the area.
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The hotel was clean and nice, the bed was comfortable, and everything was in working order---the real winner for us was the breakfast voucher for the adjoining Perkins Restaurant. It beat any continental breakfast at other hotels!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph R
Sara W, Front Office Manager at Best Western Tomah Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
We are so glad you were able to sleep well and get a good breakfast to start your day! We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area.