“Good location, awful service”

Country Lodge of Turtle Lake
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Lake
Country Lodge of Turtle Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turtle Lake
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I really don't like to say anything negative about a family owned and operated business. I'm usually of the mindset that if I have a less than stellar experience, it could be an aberration rather than the norm, or it could be a matter of personal subjectivity.

But with that being said, I feel obligated to make an exception in the case of the Country Lodge. Not so much as a forum for me to complain, but just to let others know about the issues that we had and let them come to their own conclusions.

The owner/manager was somewhat rude from the second we walked in the door, and although we never asked for or expected any discount on the room when we brought an issue to her attention after getting to the room, she then implied that we had sabotaged our stay in order to get something for free. This was never remotely our intention. We just wanted management to be aware of the issue, and we were surprised when her reaction was fairly paranoid and thoroughly unprofessional.

We stayed in the room regardless, once again chalking it up to a lesson learned.

The next morning, we checked out the continental breakfast. The room was open, so we went in and sat down a few minutes early (along with several other patrons). The gentleman who was getting the breakfast ready had an outburst because people were "looking at him". He made such a production out of it that we (and several other people) just decided to skip it. Before checking out, we mentioned how upset this young man was, and we were told that he is the owners son and that he is just shy. We were also told that we shouldn't have been in the room before he was done setting out the bagels and juice and such anyway.

For the most part, we were treated very poorly during our stay, as were the other guests we encountered, and it was primarily by the owner and her son as opposed to the average rogue employee.

Considering the unusual contempt that management seemed to have towards all of their guests during our stay, I couldn't recommend the establishment to anyone, regardless of the good location and decent prices.

• Stayed: November 2010
11  Thank Lesterstandish

Reviewed 29 January 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend get away and to be close to the casino. We should have listened to the review that is no longer on here. If any exceptions are asked of management they are not accommodating and flat out rude. The man talking care of the breakfast area became very angry that we were in the room 5 minutes before it was open and started yelling. After reading how one woman had an awful time dealing with the owner regarding bed bugs and our experience I would never stay here again. Spend the extra money and stay at the b&b or casino.

• Stayed: November 2010
12  Thank standishgirl
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We were glad to find a clean, convenient place to stay on short notice. We would visit again, but with a few things considered. First, we were told a room would be $76. but after children rates were updated to adult/teen and taxes applied, the room came to $96. Would prefer a greater clarification at the time a reservation is made. Secondly, the continental breakfast was not very substantial and left us thinking that we will take this into consideration if rates increased much more.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank jarjarbi
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I don't understand how anyone could say anything bad about the Country Lodge. We've been there many times. Thay have outstanding staff, wonderful management, everyone is very kind and helpful. Thay go out of their way to provide good food , for free, for breakfast, and do special, outstanding, free things for guests on holidays. The motel is always very clean and will get you anything you need. I think it's a dirty shame that some people can be so rude themselves and try to ruin someone elses VERY good business, staff and management. You should be ashamed.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leann43379
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I had reservations but had to change plans unexpectedly. When i called to cancel within 24 hours before check-in, I offered to pay a cancellation fee and they said it was the price of the room. When I told them I did not authorize them to charge to my credit card, they did anyway. After contacting my card company and management several times, I still ended up paying the full rate for nothing. I have never been so rudely treated in my life. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
12  Thank neoec
Reviewed 4 January 2008

My family, friends, and I have stayed at this hotel for the past four New Year's Eves. This year I did the same- reserved four rooms for us and gave them my credit card to hold the rooms with a $50 deposit per room. I made the reservations well ahead of time in September.

One week before New Years they ran my card and it was denied (afterwards I found out they wrote the wrong number down by switching 2 of the numbers). They didn't bother to look at what I used to pay the last several years or call back to check on the credit card on file for the previous rooms.

After canceling my room no staff called to notify me, so I had 12 people meet at the Country Inn to check in and start our New Years party- only to have no reservations and already having had driven 3 hours up. They did not even call to tell me that they gave away our rooms,

The staff was so rude and yelling at me telling me it was my fault and then started swearing at me. The staff person wouldn't tell me their name either. Nice treatment for a regular return customer doesn't matter- I'm sure they treat the first time guests even worse.

We drove around for a while, and found a great woman running a Bed and Breakfast- the Canyon Road Inn- who took us in- all 12- into her house. It was actually closer to the Casino anyway. She said this wasn't the first time people have had problems with that hotel and came to her as a last resort. I was just happy to have a place on the couch to sleep instead of doing so in my car or driving an all-nighter.

I will never return to that hotel again- I have never been treated so badly for something that was their error.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank Sqweeks
Reviewed 10 December 2004

My husband & I have stayed here several times to celebrate our birthdays. We always get suites. The staff are a joy. They always made sure to have balloons & champagne for us in our room when we arrive. The room themselves are simply the best suites I've ever seen. & if you like to gamble at all the proximity to the Casino, can't be beat. This is a place we start looking forward to going back to, almost as soon as we leave.

8  Thank jodylp1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turtle Lake
Amerivu Inn and Suites Cumberland
Cobblestone Inn & Suites Barron
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Va...
#1 of 2 in Saint Croix Falls
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake

Been to Country Lodge of Turtle Lake? Share your experiences!