“Educational and interesting”

Rogers Street Fishing Village
Ranked #7 of 15 things to do in Two Rivers
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went with myself, my husband, our 12 year old and 5 year old. My husband and I thought that the information was extremely interesting. The kids got a tad bit bored, but not enough to make it a bad experience. We loved seeing inside the old boat and the fisherman's home.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"wisconsin"
"manitowoc"

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Our tour guides were members of families with a history of commericial fishing in Lake Michigan and were passionate about the subject. The museum has something for everyone, with a fishing boat, a lighthouse, a rustic boat engine, the restored home of a fishing family, and a building devoted to exhibits of artifacts from nearby shipwrecks. We spent two hours there, but my husband also asked a lot of questions. I live in Western Wisconsin and consider myself knowledgable about Wisconsin history, but this was a new learning experience for me. I think children fourth grade and older might enjoy this museum.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

I read other reviews of the museum complex and the whole experience, for my family, was kind of uneven. For an initial solid forty-five minutes, we were lectured to by Greg. The information was mostly interesting but kind of scattered. He started out talking about the 1600s and kind of explained how people ended up settling in Two Rivers but he never actually told us when the first outsiders built homes or anything about when or how quickly the initial white settlement developed. He also didn't cover anything about what happened to the harvested fish. Then he skipped to talking about the Rouse Simmons and other shipwrecks. Some other reviewers of this location have commented that they would have liked to have seen things self guided but they had to stay with the tour group. And while we were given a small laminated book that explained some of the features of the site, it would have been less of a learning experience if we hadn't had Greg to tell us about the fishing boat and give us an initial orientation. So it really was uneven.

I enjoyed seeing the inside of the fishing vessel and climbing to the top of the small lighthouse. Unfortunately despite Greg's teasing, we didn't see any ghosts. The stories of the shipwreck survivors were tragic however and we definitely gained a new appreciation for the rough life of Great Lakes fishermen and their families.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Learned a lot about fishing village life, shipwrecks, ice cutting and general history of the area. The staff who started us out were knowledgeable and helpful.

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2017

On your way to Door County, this is something you must stop to see. They even have a lighthouse you can go in to see how the lightkeeper lived. The museum has artifacts that are interesting and unusual...including something from the Titanic. Plan to wear your walking shoes and spend 1-2 hours because there is a lot to see in this small package. Admission was only $5 for adults and $3 for children. Parking was free.
We almost missed stopping here so I would encourage the visitor's center to promote this more! Open weekdays through October from 10am to 4pm and weekends noon to 4pm.

1  Thank scottymom01