“The suites are a spectacular value.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Village Inn on the Lake

Village Inn on the Lake
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Two Rivers
Wisconsin
“The suites are a spectacular value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

We have stayed at the Village Inn during visits to the area for years. Much depends on the type of room you choose. The standard rooms are small and very basic. But the suites in a separate building are spectacular for $99 a night. View of beautiful Lake Michigan out the front windows and a patio door on the other leading to paths in the woods. Fireplace and whirlpool. Full kitchen. Huge. Although not advertised as wheelchair accessible they definitly WERE accessible. Very friendly helpful staff. Pool / whirlpool area is family friendly - yet has a small bar and grill. Definitely not a 4 star hotel. It's a mom and pop operation with lots of small-town charm. Mini-golf on site. Bikes to rent for the bike path that goes for miles along the lake. Piles of family games by the pool.
For the small difference in price I would highly recommend a suite over a standard room.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mantygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2009

We stayed in this hotel two nights. The only thing we didn't like was how close it was to the busy road. We have a 3 year old who tends to dash away, as most 3 yr. olds do! We got 3 standard rooms(extended family trip) and one of their suites so that my Mom would have a kitchen to cook wonderful meals for us! It was clean. My kids loved the pool. The suite, especially was neat! I mean, we paid $69-79 for a standard room. What are you people expecting for that price? I am done with chain hotels. We have stayed in 2 Mom and Pops this summer and have loved every minute of it. I think people are a little too snobby nowadays. You all go pay $100+ for your generic chain hotel room. I'm sold on these little Mom and Pops!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bparker44
wi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

I would never stay at this hotel ever again. My son who was 9mo at the time was crawling in our room and ended up having a soiled sticky mouse trap stuck to his hands. We had preregistered, so the hotel knew that I had a child. I was extremely upset to say the least. They also did not have any cribs for him to sleep in. I plan on going to Two Harbors this weekend, you can be sure I will not go there!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tajdon
Vicky H, General Manager at Village Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
I am not certain that you actually stayed in our hotel. While your stay was before I joined the property, I can assure you that we have never used any type of mouse traps in our rooms, and we are located in Two Rivers, WI, not Two Harbors. While we do not have cribs, we do have pack-n-plays available at no charge. I hope you never have another experience, in any hotel, like the one you describe here.
Houghton, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

We were in Two Rivers, Wisconsin this past weekend for a wedding. I was quite reluctant to stay at the Village Inn due to the previous reviews, but, the other hotel choice was not available. I just wanted to express that for the $$$ the hotel was fine. The staff were very friendly. Beds were too soft for our liking, but overall felt the rooms were clean. The microwave and fridge definitely came in handy. The outside deck were a plus though the weather was not the best by far. We paid $80 + tax per night. Again, not a 5 star hotel, but, not a dump either.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

No cable, Wi-fi is unreliable. The promise to fix it don;t. Do not rely on what they say. Usually unreliable. They have a lot to do to make it a really nice place to stay.

Stayed June 2008
Chicagoland, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2008

We attended a funeral in Two Rivers and I had two six year old children with me. The pool and hot tub was extremely nice, but we could not tolerate the odor of smelly feet mixed with chlorine in the poolside rooms. We were upgraded to the building behind the main building to a "family suite" and it was nice. They needed to have more towels available for guests in the rooms. I also wasn't too crazy about all of sleeping in one big room, but it was clean. I thought the decor was very creative-- collection of teddy bears. The kids loved that! I think it would be a great place to have a party and just use the pool (crashing in the rooms later so that you don't have to spend too much time there).

• Liked — Indoor pool/hot tub, beautiful Lake Michigan view
  • Disliked — rooms, service (only one person handles everything!)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2007

We decided to stay at this hotel after hearing positive comments from some locals. We weren't expecting much, but still came away disappointed. First, the good: While showing its age, our room was clean and reasonably appointed. Also, the motel was in a good location with a great view of the lake. Unfortunately, those positives were canceled out by three main issues: One, the bed was possibly the worst hotel bed I've ever attempted to sleep on, managing to be both lumpy and severely slanted at the same time. Two, the continental breakfast was so ridiculous that they would've been better off not offering anything all. (It consisted of two kinds of cereal, warm milk, and really bad coffee.) And three, the heating system basically had two settings, boiling and "no heat whatsoever." We found ourselves alternating between sweating and freezing the entire night.

Through some connections we got a really good deal and paid much less than the standard rate. Even if we could get that deal again, we wouldn't stay at the Village Inn a second time unless it was clear that they'd made some substantial changes.

• Liked — Great location.
  • Disliked — Worst. Bed. Ever.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
#3 of 6 in Manitowoc
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#6 of 6 in Manitowoc

Been to Village Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!