“Beats sleeping in the car”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Viroqua
Vernon Inn and Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Viroqua
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Beats sleeping in the car”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Had to sleep over in Viroqua unexpectedly. The Vernon Inn was nearby and appeared nice enough. Unfortunately, our first room had.. umm.. business still in the toilet and the sink was plugged up. The second room was cleaner, but I almost fell off the toilet (it was not bolted to the floor ??) Also, the chain lock was broken off in this room (although it still had a deadbolt). Due to the two-room experience we were sort of suspect of the cleanliness and maintenance.. the "ick" factor spoiled the stay.
Otherwise, the room was comfortable and of a nice size and the a/c worked fine. The simple breakfast was good enough to get us going, and the price for a one-night stay was quite affordable.
The property could probably rate a 3 or even 4.. but I'll choose 2 for poor housekeeping and maintenance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Traveled to Viroqua for a wedding, We found the room to be quite spacious compared to what we were expecting, and the bathroom was quite large as well. Didn't spend a lot of time there, but I'd stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Very worn down hotel. The carpet in my room was worn to the floor with holes and frays. Bedding is terrible. The old, thin bedspread was hideous and scratchy. Blanket scratchy also. Walls need painting. "Decor" needs serious updating. Breakfast is cereal with toast or pre-packaged danish like you'd get in a vending machine. Only good thing is the beds are pretty comfortable. And its nice to have a small fridge and microwave in the room.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank dragonbythetail

Travellers are raving about these Viroqua hotels

Sun Prairie, WI
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Clean and convenient basic accommodations. A good value and we would stay again. Be reasonable in your expectations and you will be happy with this choice. Clean and comfortable. There isn't a lot more to say but TA needs to have more characters before I can go on to the next review.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frankee7
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We came to Viroqua contemplating a relocation to the area. It didn't start off to well. I was a little confused and concerned when I pulled up to the Vernon Inn. At first I thought I had pulled into a nursing home and not the hotel pictured on the internet. But no, this was it. When we walked in the girl behind the counter literally stared at me for a long time until I broke the silence. She didn't greet me, no "Welcome to the Vernon Inn", or ask, "How may I help you? How are you this evening" just a blank some what annoyed stay. She had a little trouble finding my reservation and asked how much my room was. I was tired from the last 9 hours of driving and said I wasn't sure. Apparently they never changed my reservation and had expected us the day before. As she fumble stoically at the key board disheveled guest shuffled by with no shoes and a laundry bag. The girl gave us our key and didn't tell us where anything was or that there was a free breakfast starting at 6am. However, the breakfast was worth missing, nothing hot, just cereal and store bought danishes. No tea or cocoa. I know this isn't a chain hotel, but still. I was really anxious about the establishment. However, our room quieted my fears. I had arranged to stay in the extended stay room, which is cheaper than the regular rooms, because of less house keeping. I've never seen the standard rooms, but the extended stay rooms are brand new with granite counters, full size fridges, a stove, nice beds, and a cute fake fire place. They put us in a handicapped room, either because they cancelled our reservation, or they just never asked if it was OK. That meant a weird shower and no tub, which was not going to work with a 4 year old. I called the front desk and asked the girl who checked us in if there where any King non handicapped rooms. She said "No". The next day I asked who ever was there and they said, "Yes", and moved us into the suite. The suite was sweet. It was like our own little apartment. With a separate bedroom, living room, kitchenette with bar to eat at. The booklet about the hotel and area stated there was a pool, but we didn't see it. I called up to ask about it and was told that the new extended stay rooms where on top of the old pool. Bummer, it gets dark early in Wisconsin, and having a pool to swim in would have helped to pass the time. Still, I enjoyed the view of expansive corn fields, just a few feet from the window, by day, and clear starry skies by night. The town was quiet and had cool stores like the Coop for wonderful local products. We had the best burger in a long time at the Viroqua Family Resturaunt. The children's cheese burger is the same size as the adult's! Bought Kickapoo Roasters Coffee at the coop (Harvest Blend), and played at the park. The town was quiet and peaceful. I don't know if relocating will be possible, but I'm glad we came and that the Vernon Inn turned out to be a real steal. Because either by mistake or who knows what, our bill was half of what I was quoted when I made the reservation. In the unfriendly girl who checked us in defense, I think it was her mistake because she printed up the bill I signed. Basically we got our extended stay suite for like $65 a night! You can be a little unfriendly for that price. Wow!

Room Tip: No pool. Extended stay rooms are great value and nicer rooms. Like having your own apartment. Breakf...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NeverBeenHome
Mount Vernon, Missouri
Reviewed 5 August 2013

For a small town motel, I thought this one was quite good. Our room was large, the bed was comfortable, and we had a fridge and microwave. Everything was clean. One nice touch was having several plug-ins for charging our phones and laptops. We didn't do breakfast there, but heard from traveling companions that there were not many choices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Iowa
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Traveled from Iowa to Wisconsin for a wedding. Vernon Inn is your basic hotel. No artwork of any kind in the room. Had trouble with key card, one worked, one didn't. Desk clerk was very good about trying to get it to work. Breakfast is 'continental' toast, bagels, packaged pastries, thawed donuts, cereal. Bed was comfortable, but did find a sock and hair tie under it, apparently not very good vacuumers, other wise I found the room clean. I would stay there again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joann F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Viroqua
No photo provided
#1 of 1 in Westby
Justin Trails Resort
Justin Trails Resort
#1 of 5 in Sparta

Been to Vernon Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!