“Excellent Experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washburn
North Coast Inn & Chalets
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Washburn
Eagan, Minnesota
“Excellent Experience”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband, dog and I stayed for two nights in a kitchenette. The price was great for our very limited budget, and since we travel with our dog we have to stay in dog friendly places. Kitchenette was really a full fledged kitchen, with a stove, normal sized fridge and dishes and counter space provided. Very accommodating and friendly owners, enjoyed conversing with them and it is very obvious that they have put a lot of work into restoring the property. I am originally from the area, so the location was excellent for us and within walking distance to shops and restaurants along the main street. It was also so nice to walk a couple blocks down to the marina and little beach with our dog every morning and night. Since this trip was mainly a family visit, it was wonderful to have a place to stay at night where we could have our own space and collect our thoughts. I particularly enjoyed the middle section of the 'chalet,' where there is a bit of a lake view. I enjoyed some of the most wonderful peace and quiet there to catch up on some work before resuming family visits. Overall, great value for the cost of a room. Staying there was a great aspect of our trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Shell Lake, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 April 2014

North Coast Inn and Chalets has clean rooms, comfortable beds and is very reasonable. Walking distance to a number of good restaurants. It is also across the street from a stop for the courtesy bus to Big Top Chautauqua shows. Owners are very friendly and helpful. This is NOT a fancy multi-star motel nor is it priced like one. We stayed there during summer months and liked it.

Room Tip: Didn't notice a big difference between rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Medford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2014

THE WORST!!! Stayed there for 2 days to see ice caves. The room was old, counters drawers stove top was all uneven to the point stuff would slide off. And the owners are the rudest motel owners I have ever met. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels all over the United States and have never seen such rudeness in my life. Never would I stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank harleyjean1
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Took my family to see the sea caves in Cornicopia and stayed here. Price was decent, the female owner was pleasant at check in. Went to our room, 18, it stunk, literally. The bed spreads were old and patched. The instructions on the wall ask you to clean up after yourself...wash dishes, take out garbage etc. In the morning the toilet clogged. No plunger in the room, no phone to call the receptionist so I called on my cell and the male owner answered. He told me to come to the office to get "the" plunger. Room 18 and others are not attached to the main building. It is -10 in February, bring it to me. Or better yet, splurge and have one in each room. All in all it is a dump, but you expect that for the price. Lack of customer vision / service is what really make this place a no stay.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Chucbo
Wausau
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

This is an older hotel but it's clean and everything in the room worked well. Within walking distance of a great brick oven pizza place and pretty much everything in Washburn. We had a comfy stay for a great price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 4 November 2013

this is my second visit and again I was happy. it's true what some of the other reviewers said that the place is kind of old, but the building is solid and comfortable...nicely decorated (different theme in each room) very clean, comfortable bed, responsive thermostat, welcoming colorful patio with comfy adirondack chairs and beautiful blooming flowers. when you look around you see little touches of care...and in the 2 times I was here, I didn't notice any foul smell. or even worse...there was not the heavy smell of air fresheners. it is true that the walls are a bit thin, some noise gets in, but I have experienced worse. as far as the price, you will not find a cheaper place to stay in the area. This is a very desirable vacation spot with many activities in all directions and Washburn is in the middle of it all. A really good value

Room Tip: I will be back and next time I will try a kitchenette like the others suggested
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kristina S
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Don't get me started on the 2 night stay (and inflated prices) policy that ALL the hotels have instituted for the Whistlestop races weekend. But this place is the worst! It's really a horribly run down motel with small, smelly rooms and hardly any sound proofing. We had to go buy Febreeze to try to get rid of some of the smell. Gross! The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. The bathroom is tiny and very old. Anyone talking in the parking lot - even at normal volumes is transmitted right into your room as you try to sleep. Even the lowest of expectations were not met at this dump.

Room Tip: Choose a room somwhere else, anywhere!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lungfruit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washburn
AmericInn Ashland
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield

Been to North Coast Inn & Chalets? Share your experiences!