“Tranquility on Earth”

Washington Island Stavkirke
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Washington Island Stavkirke (or Stave Church) is an absolutely spiritual and breathtaking experience that anybody who visits Washington Island needs to take the time to see. For those who don't know a Stave Church is a traditional Nordic styled church, rarely found in America. This stave church is a reproduction of one in Norway I believe, it is a tall and imposing all wood building with very unique wood carvings and designs.

When I first visited this past Summer, I was completely shocked that something like this was on Washington Island. It is set out in a very peaceful forest, a "prayer trail" leads up to it. Once you get to the site it is almost deafly silent, all you hear is the whistling of the wind and the occasional chirping of the birds. The day I went there was one woman also there, she told me she visits the island once a year and whenever she comes, she visits this site and meditates. I can see why! It is peaceful, surrounded by nature, and architecturally unique...it is a very special feeling that is hard to explain.

Whether you are Christian or not, this church is a unique gem and deserves a visit. To get to the Stave Church, head East down Townline Road from Main Road. On the right side of the road is a large Stone Church (this is not the Stave Church), I parked at this church...and across the street is the trail that leads to the Stave Church. There should be signs guiding the way. I have pictures of this church somewhere, that I will try to add if I can find them.

3  Thank CultureHunter