“Wish I Hadn't”

Findlay's Holiday Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Washington Island
Findlay's Holiday Inn
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had read previous reviews, but thought that at this point in time, the owners would have made positive steps. The good news: very good food in their lovely dining room; yard and view were pleasing to the eye; the water from the tap tasted very good. But....the bad news: the musty, moldy smell almost had us cancel and go to a different place at the last minute, and eat the cost of our mistake. The carpeting is filthy; the bed springs were very squeaky. I can handle the quaint atmosphere, but the odors were almost more than I could stand. We kept the windows open for help, but there was no relief. I'm sorry, but I would not recommend this place, I'd rather sleep in my car.

Room Tip: Find a different place, or ask to see the room before booking.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ruth B

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

This motel had a beautiful view from our room. It was a little dusty. My biggest complaint is the bed. Worst. Bed. Ever. It was impossible to sleep soundly when every movement made an incredibly Loud squeak, squeak, squeak. Not worth the price we paid.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank jbuckles4
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Nice clean breakfast visits over the years. Honest food, service, and prices. Friendly staff. This is an easy walk fronm the ferry dock and close to a few interesting and eclectic shops.
We have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Surfdeep
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Bad place to stay if you have a desire for cleanliness or have bad allergies. The hotel is older as well as the furnishings. It smells old and musty. My dust and mold allergies were greatly aggravated to the point of a sinus infection. The ownwers seem to work hard and be dedicated but the place is lacking. Most likely due to the staffing of the locals which is unfortunately their only choice. The locals great adversion to work is truly apparent at this establishment. The food has a greasy spoon diner sort of appeal and after 8pm there is little to nothing offered as far as entertainment options.

Room Tip: a room with a lake view distracts from the overall appearance.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank kes206
Reviewed 1 December 2011

The hotel is a friendly family-run establishment with beautiful grounds, but there are some negatives. The rooms are rather outdated; especially the bathrooms and bedsheets could use updating...some stains/holes on bedsheets/pillowcases and old shower curtains are somewhat hard to ignore. Moreover, the rate is somewhat over-priced for the feel of the property--paying a bit more than what you'd get out of rustic, outdated hotel. The breakfast, which is not included in the rate, is decent enough but nothing special. With that said, the grounds are beautiful and peaceful, lake view is pretty cool if you are staying on second floors, and you can watch the stars out at night on the benches on the large lawn on the back of the building, sitting with your loved ones. Proprietors are very helpful and nice, and entire operation is family run, so that is somewhat of a bonus, supporting small business.

Room Tip: Definitely get rooms on the second floor to enjoy the view.
2  Thank nomadlifeforme
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed at Findlay's on a Wednesday evening during a bicycling tour of Door County. We wanted to see Washington Island and enjoyed the challenge of catching a ferry when you don't have a car to make up for lost time. We made the 5:00 pm ferry with plenty of time to spare.

We found Findlay's to be OK in terms of appearance and cleanliness. The building is a bit cheaply constructed and shows signs of deterioration. The stair and hallway carpets were cheap and worn out and the floors being wood frame felt hollow and drummy - noisy. However, the room was very clean and decent enough - just dont expect luxury. The rooms are spiffed up standard hotel rooms.

Breakfast is served in a dining room on the main floor. If you like Perkins, you'll be fine. The best part about staying here however, is the access to the bay via a long dock and pier. There is a also a covered gazebo. The shoreline is rustic with reeds and grasses and you pass over and through them to access the bay views. We enjoyed a bottle of wine while staring at the stars, but it was a bit tricky navigating our way to the pier after dark. We managed though and it was worth the effort.

All in all, we enjoyed our brief stay at Findlay's on Washington Island. If you go, I would suggest bringing your own food though. The restaurant offerings seemed pretty dodgy to us, however, if Old Country Buffet works for you, you'll be fine.

Room Tip: All rooms in the main building have lake side exposure. Lower level rooms looked nicer than ours on...
1  Thank 26pt2runner
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This inn was just okay but not a bad place to stay by any means. Best part about it was the little restaurant in the inn that obviously is a favorite breakfast place of the locals. Breakfast was delicious and it's certainly the bread and butter of that place. We stayed on the first floor but I'd recommend the second floor because it seemed quieter. Nice selection of books to read (three large bookcases in the hallway upstairs and a little library room, too). The rooms were kind of dated. Bathroom was clean but the lighting was dark. Room seemed like it could have been cleaner--fresher might be a better word. We also had little ants come and visit various places in the room, including my suitcase! Owners were surprised by our news of the ants and said they would take care of it and gave us a 10% discount. I liked the environment because you really did feel like you could come and go as you pleased, like a big boardinghouse. I felt safe there and being from the city, was kind of intimidated by the remoteness of the island but they made me feel at home. Great jewelry for sale in the little lobby. I needed a place to store my bike and one of the gardeners let me keep it in the garage--no keys or anything. Kind of like Mayberry. At $135 a night, I didn't think it was worth that much, but island prices seemed higher in general. Costs alot to bring in food, supplies, etc.

3  Thank Diane D
AppleCreek Resort- Hotel & Suites
Edgewater Resort
Edgewater Resort
#2 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to Findlay's Holiday Inn? Share your experiences!