“Liked the hotel, not the busloads of kids at the waterpark!”

The Country Springs Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Waukesha
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Pro's - the hotel was lovely, clean and well kept. The bathroom was huge. The breakfast was very good. The waterpark was wonderful the first night. It is on the smaller side, but that made it fun for the family to wander without any issues. We loved the slides, the lazy river, the water temperature, the pool with basketball, and the indoor/outdoor hottub.
The Con's - they literally brought in busloads (at least 4 full busses) of unsupervised kids upon opening the waterpark. The pool was wall-to-wall kids and there were still more coming in. We had to wait more than 20 minutes for a slide and there were kids trying to get in front in line. There were kids running all over and doing flips into the pools. It was over-crowded and out-of-control.
Unless we were guaranteed that there would not be busloads of kids, we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
CSH2810, Front Office Manager at The Country Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review your visit to our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed your room and other amenities. That is fantastic to hear and it shows that our dedication to superior service is working. I am however sorry to hear that you did not have the same experience in the water park during our visits from areas schools, clubs and other children's organizations. Summer is quite a fun time for children and water parks so if it would help you, always know that you can call ahead of time and we can provide a projection of how busy our water park will be. Please feel free to contact me at 262-547-0201 if you would like to discuss anything further and again thank you for your time. Make it a great day!

Stacy Barton
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is for those that are just visiting the waterpark for the day..

I made a trip there for the first time for a pre birthday celebration.

1) Staff was pleasant and accommodating! We made the half hour trip there, got dropped off at about 11:30 am and found out that the other person in the party forgot part of their bathing suit. The lady at the desk was made aware after I had to call our ride back and right away she was going to reinstate our splash passes for another day. We ended up staying anyways.

2) We were informed right away that a large group (a couple hundred) of rowdy kids would be there until 3. Rowdy was an understatement. It was nuts. There was no where to go because the kids were everywhere. The life guards were on their toes as the kids refused to listen or share their space. The whirlpool was out of commission due to pouring rain, so except for the arcade, we were stuck eating and watching everyone else have fun. It sucked big time. I heard many people complaining to the front desk and from what i also heard, my experience was tame. This coming friday, 500 ppl are scheduled to come in. That's way too many in my opinion.

Once 3 came around, it was fun and peaceful. We stayed until close to maximize what time we did have. The arcade was awesome though!

So all in all, my experience was worth half of what I paid for, since we did not get to do anything remotely fun for 4 hours. I am glad I didn't rent a room, like I was originally planning. Not worth it. I do plan on going again in hopes if i call ahead, I can plan a bit better.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We had plans in the Milwaukee area on the afternoons of Saturday July 6 and Sunday July 7, so we thought we'd treat the kids to a hotel stay with a water park instead of driving back and forth to our home in Madison. We arrived at the hotel hot and anxious to go swimming around 4 p.m. When we checked into our room we were told that because we had booked our room through Expedia, the water park was not included in the $145 we had paid. I was shocked and said that was not made clear in the reservation and the desk person told me that it should have been printed clearly on my Expedia confirmation.

She first offered to charge me a surcharge of $25 per person per day (she would not count the overnight between 4 p.m. and 11 a.m. checkout as one day). I was shocked. She was suggesting we pay $200 to use the water park while we were at the hotel. She then offered to reduce the surcharge to their weekday rate of $15 per person per day for a total of $120. At that point she said take it or leave it. My reservation was prepaid. If it hadn't been I would have left at that point. I told her I had to check the reservation myself and searched for it on my iphone. She looked visibly annoyed by me and said that was what I should expect when I booked through a 3rd party vendor and not the hotel directly. I told her that I travel frequently and often use Expedia and have never had anything similar happen before. She treated me like I was lying or naive. I asked her what the rate with the water park would have been if I booked it through them directly and she told me $199.

Due to a poor wireless connection it was a slow process and I tried the guest computers in the lobby but those seemed to have the same problem as my phone. I finally found the reservation and showed it to the desk attendant saying I could not find any indication on it that the water park was excluded and there were photos of the water park all over the hotel information section. She looked at it and then pointed to a section of the confirmation under the heading of Additional Hotel Services and in small print it said "A fee will be charged for use of certain facilities" There was no other statement anywhere which would have alerted us to the fact that they meant the highly advertised water park. I looked at her with dismay. She finally grudgingly said that she would give us the passes. So while she made it right in the end, she made us feel like freeloaders and 2nd class guests for booking through Expedia.

The proposed charge of $25 a day was highway robbery. After I got home, I looked at their website and the difference between their rate that includes the water park and their rate that excludes the water park is $10 per room not per person. So while they wanted to charge us $200 for use of a facility, they would have only charged us $10 if we had booked through them. I suppose some of the blame falls on Expedia too for not making it clear that the water park was excluded, but who knows what the hotel disclosed to them on this issue. In the end, it was the hotel that should have provided better customer service in addressing this situation.

By the way, the water park is OK but small compared to other water park resorts. My kids enjoyed it for a few hours, but then decided not to return to it the next morning. I wouldn't spend $25 a day on it even if I wasn't staying at the hotel.

The hotel itself is very dated. Our room had a very humid feel to it and smelled musty and moldy. The air conditioner was very loud. We had a lovely view of a wall 6 feet outside our window. The sheets and carpeting felt damp too.

Several years ago I had stayed here for business a few times, and I don't remember it being bad at that time. However, I can guarantee I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelbugMadison_WI
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I will start by reminding them of their mission statement," WE ARE A TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS DEDICATED TO PROVIDING EVERY GUEST AN EXCEPTIONAL EXPERIENCE THROUGH THE ONGOING PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE IN OPERATIONS, BUSINESS INTEGRITY AND COMMUNITY REPUTATION." The rooms are not worth the money they charge. When we checked in everything seemed fine until we entered room 3208 shortly after we left the room to go to a near by pick in save when we arrived back in the room the toilet was over flowing with what appeared to be bowel. Maintenance was called and informed us we had to be moved because of this issue. After leaving the room and entering our new room 3018 both executive suites the coffee maker in there was broke and we were told that they didn't have more available. So after all this inconvience we decide to make the most of the trip because it was all for the kids. After swimming in the water park for a couple of hours I noticed my phone was missing and it had to be back in the other room 3208. I called the front desk and they went to the room to recover it. Well when arriving at the room my keys were still there but my cell phone was missing and a box of popcorn I forgot as well. I mentioned all my concerns to the manager Mike and he simply brushed me off made no effort to ease my frustration. There was only my party,two maintenance guys and a front desk lady that had ever entered the room the room was never resold due to the toilet issue that one of their housekeepers informed me they always have issues with that particular room 3208. When we moved to the terrace level room 3018 there was a wedding on that floor so we experienced loud people and continuous knocks on the door from people with the wrong room. We noticed that this room 3018 had a connecting door to the room next to us and by the morning of check out we found out why. The lady neighbor next door knocked on the door the next morning to inform me they had keys to our room and she had originally brought the two connecting rooms for herself and her kids but they had been moved down the hall without her knowledge that's why we were getting the continuous knocks. Over all I have never stayed in a worse hotel I would never recommend this hotel to anyone they could careless about there customers or the reputation it sends to the community. I did not encounter a team of professionals unless you consider the lifeguards because that was the best part of my visit. I am very disappointed because this hotel was highly recommend. However high standard quality customer service and management they seriously lack!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kayla B

Good Evening... I wanted to take a moment to follow up with your recent visit. We appreciate very much your concerns and as we addressed on the telephone together that we would ensure 100% guest satisfaction. I truly wish that we would have been able to address this situation and had your challenges corrected prior to you leaving the property.
Unfortunately we fell short of your expectations but hopefully regained your loyalty a bit after speaking on the phone. If you ever need assistance in making reservations in the future please do not hesitate to contact me at 262-547-0201 or sbarton@countryspringshotel.com. Have a great evening and thanks again for your time.

Stacy Barton
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed at the Country Springs on business. It was the weekend after Memorial Day so the place was quite empty and we got upgrade to larger Executive Rooms featuring a few more in-room amenities. Yes, the rooms are a bit old but clean and well serviced.

I found the price was 40% less than places a little more modern in Brookfield. My business was on this side of town so that made the location of the Country Springs ideal for my purposes.

I liked the free internet - so many places make you pay for that now.

The continental breakfast was extremely basic. One thing I noted was that there were oatmeal packets but I didn't see a microwave to prepare it with the milk present.

Service was really great - the front desk staff at all shifts were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for an Executive suite upgrade but you will have to walk all the way to the back of the hotel to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
CSH2810, Manager at The Country Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Country Springs Hotel and that you felt it was a good value. Many of our guests appreciate free internet, free parking and our friendly staff. I appreciate your comment regarding having a microwave available in the continental breakfast area for oatmeal and forwarded that to our Food and Beverage Manager. I am also passing your comments regarding the friendly and helpful service along to the front desk staff. The next time you are in the area, we would love to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

It didn't start well, as after a lengthy hike with my luggage following check-in, my electronic key didn't work. They gave me a new key (and room) and this one worked..... the first time. After dinner, the new key didn't work and was replaced. As stated earlier, the room was outdated but it was clean and adequate. The breakfast buffet was rather limited. Although there were dry cereals, there was no oatmeal which you would normally find in other hotels. There is a sports bar on the premises, with an extensive choice of bottled beers, but no draft beer.

It appears that this hotel has devoted its resources to creating a very nice conference center. In walking from the guest room section into the conference center section, the difference is like night and day. I can only assume the conference business is their bread and butter.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CyclingGeo
CSH2810, Manager at The Country Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear about the problem you encountered with your electronic key card and understand how frustrating that must have been. I appreciate your suggestion about our breakfast buffet and will communicate that to our food and beverage team. You are correct that Coppers Pub and Grill does not offer draft beer, however they have an extensive selection of bottled beer – over 100 different types. Thank you again for your comments and please feel free to contact me at the address below if you would like to discuss your recent stay further.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Rooms are outdated and don't look like they've been updated in 20 years. The hallways smell and the carpets need to be replaced. Pool was so packed, we decided to go find another place to stay for the night. For the money, drive to the Dells. One positive- the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cari A

It is great to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful however, we want to meet all of your expectations when you visit our property. We apologize your guest room did not meet your expectations and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at the email below.

twoodward@countryspringshotel.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukesha
Home2 Suites by Hilton Milwaukee Brookfield
Baymont Inn & Suites Waukesha
The Clarke Hotel
The Clarke Hotel
#3 of 9 in Waukesha
Extended Stay America - Milwaukee - Waukesha
Best Western Waukesha Grand
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee West (Brookfield)

Been to The Country Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!