“Another restaurant that makes me confused.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Jimmy's Grotto
Ranked #20 of 175 Restaurants in Waukesha
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Another restaurant that makes me confused.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Disclaimer: I am not from Waukesha (or Wisconsin, for that matter), so I did not grow up with the legend that is this place and I had no pre-conceived illusions about its awesomeness that everyone else seems to have. I've been here a few times since moving to the area, and each time I am mystified as to why it's as popular as it is.

First, you MUST call ahead. Each time we have ordered we're quoted about 45 minutes for two ponzas, and if we show up early they're not ready so this is accurate. And you don't want to show up early. Parking is a nightmare on the evenings/weekends/lunchtime, it's busy, it's dirty, there's nowhere to wait, and quite frankly you don't want to be in there very long. The employees aren't winning any customer service contests anytime soon, either.

As far as the ponzas, the first time I ordered I got cheese without any toppings. In hindsight I don't know why I did this. It's basically a big ball of cheese wrapped in fried dough. That doesn't mean it was terrible, but it tasted just like how it sounds and I felt about 100 pounds heavier by the time I finished half of it. My husband ordered sausage and cheese. There are actual chunks of sliced sausage, which I know most people here love, but we prefer the crumbled type sausage you normally get on a pizza, although that's just personal preference. Since then we've tried different toppings and it's ten times better with pepperoni or some other topping. Stay away from the taco version....no explanation needed.

Overall, the price is really reasonable, and they taste great when you're craving greasy junk food type pizza. But I still just can't explain why I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to. I chalk it up to not being from here, so I just don't get caught up in the nostalgia? Or I'm missing something? It's like an over-hyped movie where I hear so many amazing things that I'm expecting something completely unrealistic and doomed to be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Valience

Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Not the same as it use to be!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Jimmy's as been around since I was a little girl. The Ponza Rotta is a staple in the Waukesha community! It however, is not the same as it use to be. They are still sort of yummy, but somehow it has changed since the new ownership. The restaurant itself really needs an overhaul. It needs to be cleaned inside and out in a bad way. Also, the ponza's seem to be smaller than they use to be, and are consistently under-cooked and under-stuffed.

Also, PLEASE teach your staff about proper customer service. I can't tell you how many times our order has been wrong, only to get snipped at when YOUR staff is the one who screwed up. It would help to hire people who actually care about doing a good job.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jen U
“Terrible fried flavorless junk, served slow and cold.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We waited 40 minutes for food that was served cold by very rude and pushy staff. The restaurant itself is okay, but a bit dirty and run down.

The food is the worst part, fried dough filled with cheese and toppings that has no flavor whatsoever and left me feeling sick in the stomach for hours later.

If you're the sort of person who enjoys flavorless, bad food just because its fried and has cheese, you may enjoy this, but when I'm getting junk food I like it to taste good at least. Will NEVER eat here again and will make sure anyone else I know does not either.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

their food is delicious and the delivery guys are great. the ponzas are a diamond in the rough and everything else ive had is amazing too. a def must have in waukesha

Visited April 2013
WI
“A great Saturday night dinner....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

We found this joint when searching for something different in ways of foods. We first tried their pizza which was decent but our favorite is ponza rottas..almost like a calzone but deep fried. This is a must try as you can customize them to your liking! Just be warned it is normally an hour wait for carryout on most weekends. Also there was mention they only take cash but they now take Mc/Visa. Also make sure everything you ordered is in bag, as twice things were not in the bag after paying for them.

• Visited April 2013