“A hotel with potential.......”

Baymont Inn & Suites Waunakee
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Waunakee
Reviewed 12 November 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Baymont Inn & Suites Waunakee

Reviewed 12 November 2012

My husband and I travel a lot, and I have never written a negative review about a hotel...ever. We have family in Waunakee and usually stay in the Madison area, but decided to stay at the Baymont for the convenience of not having to drive too far after a long day. I had read the other reviews, some of which were not flattering, but took a chance. When we arrived, I was told that my request for a 2nd floor room could not be honored because there was a "huge wedding party up there." I was disappointed but accepted it, and expressed my concern about noise above me during the night when I would be trying to sleep. The young man behind the desk said that if that happened, I should call and he would talk to them. When we got to our room, I was further disappointed to find that the toilet seat was broken, the hair and used soap from a previous guest had been left in the shower, and there were crumbs and half empty soda bottles in the refrigerator. Since I had just been told that the hotel was sold out for the night, and there were no other hotels in the area, I knew that we had to stay there. Thankfully, my concern about noise was not realized, but we were still not impressed by the obvious lack of room maintenance, cleaning and inspection at this hotel. In the future we will go back to staying in Madison when we visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed 31 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

As a response to the review by Tracy, I would like to post my reply to her as I feel it is pertinent to the future guests of this establishment. I have stayed at this hotel as a regular numerous times in the past 5 years. I have not had a bad experience any of those stays. To begin with, Sherry, if that was your front desk person, is one of the most polite people I have ever met at a hotel. She goes out of her way to help guests and make them feel like they are welcome. She always has a smile on her face and is extremely personable. Although, I find that very hard to believe that it was her helping you every time that you have stayed being she doesn't work everyday andher shift seldom deals with check ins. That aside, the sign on the wall clearly states that 3pm is the check in time so wanting to check in early is dependant on rooms being cleaned and available. The number of cars in the parking lot would not indicate the number of rooms used the night before nor the number of rooms that were available. This would be common sense to any hotel guest that regularly stays anywhere. I have found that if the room I was assigned isn't ready for early check in then its because the housekeeping hasn't gotten to it due to so many rooms being cleaned. I also know that when I have gotten there early, Sherry has always offered to keep my luggage behind the front desk until I can be checked into my room. She also goes to check with housekeeping to get them on that room as soon as possible so my wait is minimal. As for carrying that luggage up the stairs for you, the hotel is not a full service hotel so that is your job to take care of not the staff. Regarding your complaint of noise waking you, the front desk staff never has more than one person on staff at any point and time so it had to be guests that were goofing off, especially if it is running in the hallways. The staff there is all older and wouldn't be doing that to begin with. You should have called down to the front desk and mentioned it to them so they could take care of it for you. The rest of your complaints can be said about any hotel. Guests always know what they are in for regarding breakfast, cleanliness, etc. This is not the fault of the front desk staff but the responsibility of the management. Which by the way has recently changed for the better so I'm sure that you will find the improvements that are taking place are positive. The old manager has beenthankfully replaced by a much friendlier person and the rooms now have flat screen tvs and refrigerators. The fact that this hotel is being updated should be the real review here. This hotel is taking a step in the right direction and I am pleased with the results.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The front desk person, whom I think is named Sherry, was very rude every single time we saw her. We came a little early on our last visit with all of our luggage in our hands, and she said that our rooms were not ready and that check in was at 3 pm, come back then. We had to carry all of our luggage back out to the car and wait until 3 pm to come back. Also, we were on the 2nd floor, and this motel has no elevators, so we had to carry our heavy luggage up the stairs ourselves. It did not appear as if there had been many people staying there every time we came to the motel. There are, at most, 3 or 4 vehicles in the parking lot, and we have stayed in this motel 6 to 8 times in the past two years. The rooms were not cleaned well or vacuumed each day, and overall the linens, furniture and carpets are shabby and well-worn. The last time we stayed, the night staff were yelling back and forth to each other, and it sounded like they were rough housing and running up and down the halls. It was loud enough to wake me up and keep me awake for an hour. The breakfast is edible, but we prefer to go to a restaurant because to motel food is not good. I would not stay there again, as it has gotten a lot worse since it was down-graded a few weeks ago, and is under different management due to poor performance. Quality is a huge issue, and when we phoned a day ago to cancel our reservations, there was no one answering the phones at the front desk for a long period of time. DO NOT STAY THERE!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to a different motel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Fayaz S, Owner at Baymont Inn & Suites Waunakee, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

Dear Tracy,
Please accept my apologies for the bad experience during your visit. I appreciate your review and bringing it to my attention. If I was in that situation I would have been disappointed too. We acquired this property recently and working hard towards reviving it with several upgrades and training/replacement of staff. Based on your review it appears you have been a guest of this hotel in the past as well. We would love to see you again and give us an opportunity to serve you better. While I am working on gathering response from my staff about your stay, I would like to talk to you via phone about details of your last visit. I will reimburse you for one night and provide you a free night for your next visit. Meanwhile, we are working towards ensuring the there is no loss in quality control at our end. Please provide your phone number so that I can directly call you. - Owner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waunakee
Comfort Inn & Suites Madison North
Baymont Inn & Suites Madison West/Middleton WI West
Super 8 Windsor/Madison North
Super 8 Madison South
Super 8 Madison South
#12 of 63 in Madison
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Madison West
La Quinta Inn & Suites Madison American Center

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Waunakee? Share your experiences!