“Overcharged”

Econo Lodge Waupaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Waupaca
Reviewed 10 December 2012

This hotel still uses METAL/physical keys.

Be careful when you book. There's a HOTEL inside and a MOTEL outside. If you book through some other agency and upgrade you'll be highly overcharged. I do not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: make sure you're getting a room inside, in the hotel. Not in "another building".
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank james t

Reviewed 29 October 2012

This motel was ok for the price; old but clean, and acceptable for a night or two for a reasonable price. Do not plan on eating the continental breakfast because it consists of old, prepackaged pastries.

The biggest downfall is their customer service. When I made the resevation on the phone, the person taking the reservation constantly answered questions of guests apparently standing at the counter, which I found very confusing; one minute she was talking to me and the next she was talking to someone else, never knew who she was talking with. The reservation could have been done in half the time if she had told the others she would be with them in a moment, or asked me to hold for a moment while she takes care of other guests. When checking in, the desk person was rude, but quick, like she couldn't wait to get this transaction done and get us out of there. When we returned to our room at about 10:00 pm, I discovered I had forgotten
my toothbrush and toothpaste, so I went to the desk with a $5.00 bill in hand and asked if they had a vending machine with such items--the desk clerk looked at me and walked to the back, while an approximately 4-year old boy (I'm assuming her son) stood behind the desk, put his hands on his hips and shouted "this is a hotel, NOT A STORE". I said "excuse me", and he repeated this. Now obviously he did not pick this up on his own, but is repeating what he has learned. I explained that I had forgoten these items, and most motels/hotels have such items for sale (or free). Then the clerk came back and threw a toothbrush on the counter. I asked for toothpaste and she reached in a drawer and threw me a small foil-package of toothpaste. I asked if there was a charge and she said "no" and turned around and proceeded to the back. I said "thank you" and left. Now, I don't expect people to fall over me with kindness, but a "Hi, how are you, please and thank you, have a nice stay" are always appreciated. These people apparently do not like their jobs, and if it weren't for their paying guests they wouldn't have these jobs that they hate.

I would stay here again only as a last resort because of their lack of customer service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MJ51582
Reviewed 26 June 2012

If you are looking for a motel to sleep at for cheap this would be fine, has a pool and light breakfast although rooms are not fancy in any means.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2011

It could be that we were positively influenced by the wonderfully warm and sunny Wisconsin weather in mid October 2011, but that is just a part of it. We initially were going to stay 2 nights and instead doubled that because there was more to see and do. Our room was nice sized; new mattresses so really comfortable; we had an armoire that housed the TV and mini fridge and several deep drawers; great use of space.

We enjoyed using the pool and whirlpool for exercise and relaxation; perfect temperatures for both; clean and well maintained. Breakfast OK; we picked up a brochure and menu for the Simpson Restaurant downtown and Sue at the desk recommended it. We agreed; great food and since we were on the motorcycle ate a little earlier than normal so were able to take advantage of early bird specials, saving maybe $4 to $5 per entree prior to 6:00 PM. We looked at other hotels online in the area and this one was priced very reasonably compared to those. Wanted to add: good computer available in lobby; fast connections.

Room Tip: We liked a room that was adjacent to the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NANCY H
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Hotel was fine, what we expected for the price. My concern and disappointment is with the website and the mis-information and lack of customer service. The address online is INCORRECT...the online address shows 1060 E Fulton St, Waupaca- the correct information is 1060 WEST Fulton. After driving for two hours, we arrived in Waupaca and because the address on the website was incorrect, we drove around and around for 30 minutes, at 11:00 pm in the dark, searching for this hotel. We were finally able to locate a local individual who directed us to the correct area of town. When we arrived at the hotel, we informed the front desk of this error and she said we SHOULD HAVE CALLED and she would have directed us. Well guess what?, we DID call the number on the email confirmation and it was the '800' number for front desk, and all we got was a recording loop from Magnuson Hotels- NO person to ask . I am so disappointed with the lack of customer service that was available by phone, and in person.
Oh, as well -there was a fridge in the room...but it was unplugged and there was no outlet to plug it into unless you ran the cord across the carpet! The sliver of soap and the tiny bottle of shampoo would not have even serviced two people for a shower!- at least the room was clean!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank keysgram
Reviewed 28 January 2011

My family stayed here for a kids hockey tournament and found it pleasant and clean.

The kids enjoyed the pool, but the adults were a bit taken aback when the pool area was shut down at 10:30pm (lights out and pool covered---probably necessary as a lot of rooms open out to the pool.)

Breakfast is small (breads/danish/muffins/cereals/milk) but there is an endless supply of (adequate) coffee.

The one issue I found was, due to the pool, there was a pervasive odor of chlorine (not bad, but noticeable.)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Used the Village Inn as our home base for our weekend at the Symco Shakedown car show. Showed up with about 20 couples and old cars.We were treated great , everyone was very helpfull. They helped us to find places to eat & how to get thru town to Symco. The rooms were small but comfortable. Beds were a little hard for us & the walls too thin for a "wild weekend " The shower had plenty of power. They have a large indoor pool & hot tub , ice machine & a nice comp. breakfast with cerial , bagels , coffee , juice , rolls , fruit snacks , toast and a toaster to heat stuff up. All in all a great weekend. We will be back next year with more people & cars. ?? We could have our own car show there Friday night ??

Stayed: August 2010
4  Thank CQtopgun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waupaca
Ramada Waupaca
Comfort Inn
#4 of 5 in Plover
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stevens Point
Best Western Plover Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Econo Lodge Waupaca? Share your experiences!