“My new favorite Wisconsin State Park”

Hartman Creek State Park
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waupaca
Hartman Creek State Park
Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
“My new favorite Wisconsin State Park”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We had never camped at Hartman Creek until this week and am now saying it is my new favorite state park. The campsites are spacious, some more wooded than others. We had an electric site that was surrounded by trees. There are so many things to do: hike, bike, kayak, and canoe. A beautiful park. There is a mile paved bike trail to the beach, but the hike/bike trails were fun and not that difficult for this senior citizen. The gentleman at the beach was so helpful in suggesting which trails and paths to take. He has park maps that he has added helpful notes of his own. He told us where to put our kayak in so that we could get into the chain of lakes. We were on some beautiful, quiet, small lakes-one had nothing but trees surrounding it.
We found the rangers were pleasant and the bathrooms were clean.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SeniorCamper

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Plover, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Do not camp here if you intend on staying up past 10 pm and talking around your campfire. Both nights we were there we were talking in a normal tone and both nights the rangers informed us they could hear us several campsites over. News to me since my 3 and 5 year olds were sleeping the in camper 15 feet away and I could hardly hear the conversation going on at the fire when I would check on them.

It is shame because it is a beautiful park. I will go here for a day trip, but I will not camp here ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank camping_m0mma
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 August 2010

Worst rangers ever... Highly intrusive, unprofessional and rude!
Bathrooms were absolutely disgusting
I will never stay at this camp ground again

Stayed July 2010
8 Thank gwyntyrysbryd
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Please take the time to read this fully- I grew up going to Hartman Creek- it was always wonderful- However I just decided to take my 11 year old daughter and her friend camping close this last week. We had just arrived and pulled in our site- (my husband had to work the week so he was brining the camper up after work to set up for us) we had gotten out of our car and the 2 girls went in the site and were looking at spots to put the camper when he came. They were saying how this particular spot( in the camping pad which was away from any ground cover, trees ect would be a good place for it) Next thing we know out of the woods came a man who said did I just hear you say that this would be a good spot for the camper you have? I said yes, kind of confussed as to why he would ask that and he proceeded to say you can't put it there. I asked why and he said that all campers have to remain in the driveway. I then asked him where was the farthest I could go into the actual site, and mind you in was not in the site at all- he took his foot and made a line and said no further than this. Long story short, he walked down to the host site which was a few down. I could not believe where he wanted us to put the camper- the entire site itself was empty other than the picnic table and fire ring. Then I looked around and walked down the road and looked at all the other campers- they were all put back on the actual site. I then thought this is crazy and makes no sense- so I walked down to the host site and tried to talk with him again and ask why all these other campers and trailers were so far in the site if that is the rule- he told me well if we don't see it when they are setting up we ignore it! So basically was the only one in the driveway. He then further told me he was the ranger and come to find out the manager of hartman creek.
Anyway in all the time we stayed we then talked with several other people one of who stayed right accross from us about in their 60's very quite people who packed up and left 2 days early because they were harrassed by the rangers so bad- they had told me that at 10 the night before a female ranger a little older had come right up to their tent without them knowing until their dog barked at her.
I know this has to be true because that same woman ranger we had seen walking late at night in and around sites and even went as far as to say to me and my daughter the one evening when we went to the bathroom - she asked if we were going to the bathroom- and when I said yes, which really was none of her business she said I know thats where you were last night at 10:00. I am sorry - there is something wrong with that- that is not right and very creepy .
As we were there we talked with several people who said they would never go back again and are calling and making formal complaints because of being harrassed by some of the rangers there- even one ranger told me that her comment on where we were the night before was really strange and inappropriate. My daughter and her frind were scared to death of the 2 rangers- no child or adult should feel that way/
It is a beautiful area, but as some who live close by who were older said they will no longer camp there because of the rangers.
They need the leash - not the dogs!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank lves2camp
Waupaca, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 May 2010

We spent the weekend camping at Hartman's Creek which is a gorgeous park with many amenaties even for the children including paddle boat and canoe rentals, beach with playgraound and many beautiful hiking trails around lakes and rivers. The bad part about this park are the Park Rangers. Don't get me wrong I want to be safe and glad they are there, but we were constantly harrassed. First (at 7pm) it was the car radio, we were approached and told we couldn't play music out of our car, even tho it was National Public Radio at a level that couln't be heard by our neighbors (we forgot our portable radio), then it was the long boards that our teeneage boy neighbors were using to ride to the bathrooms that were far away. We called the office after the ranger left and were told car radios were fine at a descent level and rollerblades and skateboards were allowed. So later that night she was back telling us to turn our music off, proceded to card us all for drinking and write down everyones name at the site ( we are all over 30!) . We told her we were just trying to enjoy our weekend off and we weren't bothering anyone. About 1130pm at night i went to the bathroom and walked over 2 sites to look at the stars and she came up behind me with no flashlight or any warning and told me I had to be on my assigned site because the park was now closed. She continued to lurk around the woods of our site with no reflectors of flashlight on. She also walked up to our neighbors camper tapped on the window flashed her flashlight in the windows and told them to be more quiet while they were getting ready for bed. Both of our sites had children from ages 4 to 17 and she kept telling us to be quiet and go to bed cause it was a family oriented campground. Obiously they are only orientated to certain families. When I am on vacation I want to relax this was not a relaxing experience. This is a beautiful park and I hope this situation will be adddressed so it can once again be a vacation destination for our family.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank pleadian_princess
Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We go to Hartman Creek State Park every year to camp. It takes a few tries to figure out where the best camp sites are but once you get that down, it's fantastic. The walk around the lakes are amazing, the water is beautiful. My one complaint is that I wish they had a dog beach. I wouldn't recommend this place to families with small children that need to be entertained constantly because there isn't a lot of exciting shows and things for them. There is, however, a beach and a few different playgrounds scattered around the park.

The ice and firewood shelter runs on the "honor" system which is nice because you don't have to wait in lines to get those necessities. The staff have always been friendly. There is also quite a few hiking trails, all of which are VERY scenic.

One warning though: The raccoons DO come out at night here. Make sure to secure your coolers and throw out our trash so you don't attract them. They're not aggressive, but they are not afraid of you either.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank nigbee08
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waupaca
Ramada Waupaca
Artha Sustainable Living Center Bed and Breakfast
Econo Lodge Waupaca
Econo Lodge Waupaca
#3 of 3 in Waupaca

Been to Hartman Creek State Park? Share your experiences!