“BAIT AND SWITCH USED ON US! TERRIBLE MANAGER!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Wausau

Super 8 Wausau
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Loves Park, Illinois
“BAIT AND SWITCH USED ON US! TERRIBLE MANAGER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I won a 2-nt stay gift certificate to this hotel signed by the manager, Nick Patel, for a Sun-Thurs stay. When I made the reservation I read to the gal my gift certificate terms and asked her if this was OK and she said it was and would note my gift certificate in my reservation file. She said to bring the certificate along at check-in. We checked-in and I turned my certificate over to the gal at the front desk. I then find out 24 hours later, that the manager would not allow me to use the certificate because I didn’t reserve the correct room and because I had a travel agent book the room for me. I personally made this reservation myself and had it OK’d by his front desk girl for the rooms we had reserved. I told him I didn’t know what he was talking about in regards to a travel agent! I went back-and-forth for hours fighting this with Mr. Patel and he was totally unprofessional in every aspect of what I had to say about the terms of using this gift certificate. I found it to be a “bait-and-switch” tactic that was used on getting our family there and then to not allow my certificate and make us pay for our rooms in full.

Room Tip: Don't use this hotel period! Shaddy manager!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
N P, General Manager at Super 8 Wausau, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
I apologize for the lack of empathy and appreciate your prompt notification of the problem. The intention was never to have the guest feel that the apology was insincere and made to feel like the situation was not important. Our pride has been that we strive to go beyond our guest's expectations and clearly we did not fulfill that in this situation.

As per our phone conversation as you booked the reservation with a travel agent we could not honor this reservation. The certificate did say that in order to use this certificate you need to book the hotel directly. We will still honor that certificate but you need to reserve the room directly with us not through any travel agent or any travel agent website.

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My friends and I stayed at the Super 8 for two nights during our annual ski trip. Everything about the hotel was great except for the guy working the second night. The guys was a heavier guy with a ponytail I'm pretty sure. He was probably just in a bad mood that night but he just would not leave us alone. I think one of us was running down the hall to go to the pool and he threatened to call the police on us for that! Without any explanation all he would say is, "I'm calling the police, one more time and I'm calling the police." And then while we were in the pool he made sure we had no fun by monitoring our every move. We were not even being rowdy just hanging out with all the guys. And then as we were getting out of the pool and going to bed, one of my friends apologized on behalf of all of us for disrupting his night and he was wouldnt even hear it. All he said was, "If I hear any more running I'm calling the cops." The super 8 motel was a decent motel but the guy working at the counter ruined the experience for us. We all decided after the trip that we're never staying at the Super 8 again because that guy ruined it for us.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
N P, General Manager at Super 8 Wausau, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for rating our hotel and providing your comments. We take great pride in Guest Service and Customer Satisfaction. Although it is our goals to meet the needs and expectations of each and every guest we serve, we realize that a few of our guests may not be completely vowed.

We apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Just for your information the front desk host is no longer working with our company. Please rest assured and know that we will go above and beyond and do everything in our power to make it right and earn back your respect, trust and business.
Newton, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Generally I stay away from Super 8 hotels from overall bad experiences. Friend recommended. Was on business and stayed two nights. Room was large, with adequate bath. Internet was not slow like at some places. Was Clean and fresh. Non smoking no pet hotel. Newer looking Carpets through out. Nice decor, fresh paint and nothing was beat up where walls gouged. Was told place was 8 years old. Looked new. It's apparent the cleaning staff has pride in their work and that the management treats them fairly. Otherwise this area slips into the cracks and can make or break a hotel. Didn't use, but noted nice clean pool and Jacuzzi area. It's a hotel I'd go back to again and not afraid of taking the family. Has the usual dry complementary breakfast. No eggs as noted on web site. 2 kinds of dry cereal, yogurts, dried up cin rolls, breads to make toast. Make a waffle or have biscuits and gravy for hot breakfast. Do note that they will automatically charge $1.59 a day for the safe. Label on the safe notes its optional and can get refund at check out. They will put the bill under the door and note no need to check out, just leave electronic room key in room. I suspect many have paid for something that could have been refunded. There was no questions asked when I asked for my refund. It's the principal. Expect to pay about $65/night but don't let that cost scare you from staying here. Its just as good as a $120 night room with some other franchise.

Room Tip: Rooms on opposite side of parking lot may be quieter. Some Trucks park and run all night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
N P, General Manager at Super 8 Wausau, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Good morning, and thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel so much that you would award us such a high rating. Our staff work diligently to make sure that every guest has a clean and welcome stay here. Thank you again, for your patronage. We look forward to seeing you again!