“Great location, great inn!”
Review of Rib Mountain Inn

Rib Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Wausau B&B and Inns
“Great location, great inn!”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We have just booked for next year, which willl be our third stay, this year being our second. We love the lodge, very short walk, in boots, carrying skis and poles thru the woods, across parking lot to high speed lift. Love the home cooked breakfast, large hot tub, fireplace, kitchen. We have the whole first floor booked because two more couples in our group loved the lodge and all the amenities. It's easy to come back for lunch and dinner and then go back out skiing or boarding. We have six families in our group and have just added two more! The staff is friendly and accommodating. The breakfasts are great and we cook lunch and dinner ourselves and have a great reunion ski trip every year. We stayed a short drive away this first year, but nothing beats being right next to the ski hill.

• Stayed January 2012

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed in Villa 6. Not sure if the other villas are in better condition but this one had a terrible musty smell that we could not get rid of. The couch was old and dirty and I did not feel comfortable sitting on it. The slider doors to the patio were not functioning properly. We were able to open but not easily (trying to get rid of smell) The fire place (gas) did not put out any heat. This was puzzling. It was just warm to the touch. The wirlpool tub was nice and did work. The whole room needed an update, looked like it was decorated in the 80s. We paid in advance for our room so we made the best of it. The breakfast was nice and we were a very short drive to the ski hills.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 123KarenS

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We were trying to make reservations for this hotel and the manager that day was adamant that the only "villa" they had left was a 4 night minimum. I called several times as this was for the upcoming holiday. Thelast time I spoke to him he reitterated this stance. Calling back the next morning and speaking to the manager on duty, I was informed that the unit in question had been rented the evening beofre for ......you guessed it....3 nights. This unprofessional, deceptive behavior seems to be commonplace for this establishment based on other reviews.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank harvey o
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2011

A group of 12 friends and I wanted to reserve some villas for an upcoming ski trip. I talked with Brenda through email, and worked out that they had 2 villas available for the weekend we were looking at. I knew it was a holiday weekend so I double checked it was ok to stay 2 nights and not 3, and they confirmed that was fine. (2 nights was crucial because most of our group couldn't stay a full 3 nights because of work).

I call to make the reservations and everything is fine. Then, later that night I get an email in a document form I can't open on my computer. I finally find a way to view it and all it says is it's a 3 night minimum for that weekend. I quickly email again copying the conversation I had with Brenda and asking them to honor their 2 night agreement. A week passes and no response. I try to follow up but no luck. then a few days later I get 2 of the same generic automated email canceling my reservation.

What a complete waste of time and lack of customer respect. Needless to say not doing our business here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lauren O
letsgonow333, General Manager at Rib Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 10 December 2011
The only problem with the review is that the credit card they gave us was not able to make the required deposit. We tried calling and emailing them to get the required deposit. After 5 days we sent the email saying your reservation was cancelled due to no deposit.We went out of our way to let the holiday 3 night minimum(presidents weekend) be passed over. We regret the misunderstanding and are willing to accomodate them if they just return our call or email. However those our are last 2 rooms open and we can not hold them.
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Firstly, the price is right for this place. You pay for what you want and maybe a bit more. We rented a 6-person Townhouse* with a Jacuzzi. We paid a bit more very, very comfortably fit 8 people. Everyone got a bed and the pull-out sofa (bad shape) we didn't have to use.

-Bring your own wood (or buy a bundle for $5) and used the fireplace. It's nice.
-Full Kitchen with everything you need! This is a blessing!
-Jacuzzi is downstairs in the cave -- but is still very-much enjoyable.
-2 full bathrooms and very nice ones they are. Absolutely no complaints.
-Whether you stay in the townhouse or not, you get an amazing full breakfast (eggs, bacon, french toast, potato bits, quiche, yogurt...)!
-1 Car garage keeps the cold and the snow away from the car.
-You can probably walk to the hill (5 minutes?), but it's much easier to just make a very short trip in the car.
-They will clean your room and change your sheets every morning unless you ask otherwise.

*This is probably a lot different than renting a room in the main Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blackstrype
Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I and three friends stayed at Rib Mountain Inn in early January. We snowboarded three days, and stayed two nights at the Inn. The only major issue we had was a mix-up on a change in our reservations, but luckily they were able to give us the rooms they had promised us the month before. They even let us check in a few hours early.

Other than that mix-up, the Rib Mountain Inn is a great place to stay. It's the closest place to the mountain. Other reviews have made a big deal about the distance between the hotel and the lift, but it takes about three or four minutes to walk in boots and carrying boards. Definitely no big deal. Don't get me wrong, its definitely not a chalet on the mountain- but it is very conveniently located.

The free breakfast here is GREAT. They have a homestyle hot cooked breakfast buffet that rotates the food daily, as well as bagels, yogurt, cereal, etc., and milk and juice. VERY VERY good breakfast- one of the highlights of the stay.

Rooms were also newly renovated, very clean, and had new high-def tvs. Free Wifi. Pretty spacious for a base room, too. Also, we had a small pantry and a microwave and fridge for our personal use- saved a lot of money on lunch and dinner. Only downside is that our toilet was a bit slow to flush, but it worked out. The girl who cleaned our room when we were out did an awesome job- one of the best cleaned rooms I have stayed in.

Overall, the Inn has a very "bed and breakfast" feel to it, but in reality they have quite a few rooms. It's a good mix between bed and breakfast and hotel, I would say.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ryguy32789
Madison, WI
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I am so glad my old hotel stopped taking dogs because it allowed me to find this place! Instead of a small patch of grass next to a highway and parking lot, you have access to the trails of Rib Mountain. It is a beautiful location. The staff is very dog-friendly, too, even offering to walk my rottweiler if I didn't have time.
The rooms are compact. The mattresses are very firm. The bathrooms were small, but had fluffy, absorbant towels. The continental breakfast was very nice, and the staff offers to make waffles, eggs, and a choice of meats for you. All this for the same price as some of the least expensive places in the area. I am definately staying here every time I am in the Wausau area. Easily the best value I have ever found, and my dog liked it, too.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank cowsrtasty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
#8 of 11 in Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau

Been to Rib Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!