“A Cozy Retreat”

Ranked #2 of 3 Wausau B&B and Inns
Pekin, Illinois
“A Cozy Retreat”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed here with 2 other adults this past week, and we were all impressed with the Inn. We stayed in one of the Villas across the street from the main lodge, and it was spacious, clean, and quiet. Some other reviews have mentioned rude or unavailable staff; we never encountered this problem. Whenever we needed assistance at the desk, someone was always available to help us. The fireplace in the room was very nice, and the kitchen was also well-stocked.

The huge outdoor hot tub was perfect after a long day on the slopes. Both nights we were the only guests using it, but I'm not complaining!

The breakfast was another highlight. There was a selection of both hot and cold items, and the breakfast area was nice and cozy.

I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Joliet, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My friends and I stayed in a 2-bedroom Villa for a weekend skiing trip. I emailed an availability request and spoke extensively with Tammy who was very helpful. When I called, Tammy was in a meeting, but the gentlemen who handled our reservation knew exactly who I was and what I was looking to reserve. We initially were supposed to have 10-12 friends in attendance so we booked the 2-bedroom Villa and the Fireside Villa, but ended up with just 6 people for the trip. We were able to cancel just the Fireside Villa without any issue because it was 30 days before our arrival date. Although, it was a bit confusing and took a couple of phone calls to figure out that we could just cancel the one Villa. The website could be worded a bit better to explain what each Villa actually consists of. For example, the 2-bedroom Villa is actually 3 bedrooms – 2 Master bedrooms AND a bunkroom. While the website says this, it’s confusing because it’s called a 2-bedroom Villa. I also don’t understand the person limits. We had 6 people, but we could have slept 8 all in beds since some were couples. Our max was only 6. I’d be perfectly willing to pay extra for additional people, but I was told that was not an option. The max was the max.

Anyway, the 2-bedroom (really, 3) was great! We loved it! We had plenty of space. Overall, it was clean and made our weekend even more enjoyable. The Master bedrooms were super nice, each with their own full bathroom and walk-in closet. The bunk room looked nice, but getting into, laying in, or getting out of the top bunk shook the whole bunk a lot. As such, one of our group slept on the couch because it didn’t seem safe for an adult. Also, we were short on full size towels (only 5) and coffee cups (only 2). Breakfast was served each morning and very tasty. I wish they had restocked items a bit better (out of biscuits and potatoes one morning and eggs the other), but there was plenty of selection.

Overall, a very nice stay. I’d say it was worth it to be closer to the slopes despite being a bit of a hike. We just made it an adventure and tried not to fall on the ice in the woods.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdvntrGrl31
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Our family stayed in two rooms between Christmas and New Year for our annual Christmas experience. It was! Pictures looked nice and it was close to Granite Peak ski area. Breakfast was good, but that's where it ended. On the second night of our stay, we returned from skiing to find our room full of smoke. We assumed that the hotel would close the fireplace flues and have you open them should you choose to have a wood fire - which we didn't. My wife could not be in the room for several hours until the smoke cleared because her eyes were burning. All of our belongings in the room smelled like smoke. I enjoy a good wood fire, but only when we plan to have one. Tried talking with the person on duty that night who was no help at all in resolving the problem. Tried to talk to Phil, the manager, several times before we left but he was never "available" and, of course, was not around when we checked out when I told the woman that checked us out about our issues and left my phone number with a request for a return phone call. In fact, anyone here that we tried to talk with about our concerns gave us an insincere, robotic "I'm sorry" and moved the conversation on. There was no effort or concern at all to help us or about our satisfaction. I called twice and stopped another time when I was in Wausau after our stay and couldn't reach Phil again. Caught him by accident and probably by surprise one morning as he was finishing up preparing breakfast. He did what he could to keep our conversation short. Told me he would continue our conversation later and confirmed that he had my phone number- which gave me the strong impression that he intentionally avoided calling me back. Lo and behold, I never heard from Phil again! During our conversation, Phil said their policy did not allow for adjustments on the stay. I was also told that when you have wood burning fireplaces there is naturally the chance that the wind could carry smoke down an adjoining chimney. It sounded like "well that's just the way it is, too bad." I also mentioned that heating controls in the rooms worked inconsistently and beds were missing some linens. Phil said that "no one else had complained" about these things and again left me with the "too bad" impression. They have signs posted everywhere - I think so they can avoid talking to you. The sign above the fireplace mentioned the proper use of the fireplace and also tells you that you are responsible for any smoke damage charges. When I asked Phil if we would have caused damage if they would have charged us. He said no. Hmmm not so sure.

This place may be OK if you're satisfied with average accomodations and don't expect any service. We visit Wausau a lot and have stayed in many different places there. We don't look for trouble and often don't have it. When we have issues, they have been taken care of and made good everywhere else that we've stayed in Wausau. It appears that Rib Mountain Inn's attitude is "once we have your money, you're on your own." We thought about leaving the night of the smoke incident for our safety and the poor treatment. We should have done that because since we finished the stay we had no financial recourse on the $800+ that we spent here.

There are many other much better lodging choices in the Wausau area than Rib Mountain Inn and we'd highly recommend that you consider them! We will continue to tell others who ask this story.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else in Wausau
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JFTravels611

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Forest Park, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Old drafty building with paper-thin walls! Everyone was extremely rude to us from the moment we got there. A smoke alarm was beeping in the hallway right outside our door and I called to have them fix it, they did not. We still drove to the slopes every day so it makes better sense to stay at a much nicer place in town for half the cost! I will definitely be back to ski at Granite Peak but I will be staying somewhere else. RIP OFF!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ROED9
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Old dump! WAY over-priced. Paper thin walls and LOUD. Can find much better accommodations less than 3 miles away for nearly HALF the price. Walk to slopes entirely over- rated. Staff practically incompetent. Cancelled "half" my reservation without cause or confirmation. Completely unreliable, unhelpful and rude! Phil the manager could not run a trailer park let alone an Inn. You have been warned!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank World T
letsgonow333, Director of Sales at Rib Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
In all honesty the gentleman booked for four days and then decided to cancel. We advised him that due to the late cancellation we would try and rebook the room for him. We re-booked the unit for 2 of the nights and informed him as such. After he arrived his friends were also staying but they were staying for all 4 days. He then wanted to stay all 4 nights. Phil informed him we had already re-booked the 2 other nights and we had no other rooms available. While we are sorry he couldn't stay longer with us, we had no choice but to honor the other reservation. We are a small hotel and over the holidays ie. New years eve it can be loud. Again sorry for the noise.

Rib Mountain Inn stafff
Chicago
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed in a VIP room in the main lodge. The room was clean. The walls are a bit thin. We could hear the person next door snoring and we could hear the family below us. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels. The shower head had too much water pressure which made washing your face in the shower a bit of a challenge (better than too little pressure!). The bed was ok - we got the last available room, so we had 2 double beds. A double bed is a bit small for 2 people. I am not sure if the size of the bed was the issue or if the mattress was not good - we woke up sore each morning. The heater was a bit difficult to control (it was a standard heat/ac unit you find in hotel rooms - should be easy to use) and was loud. We would be very warm all evening with the temp set at 66. In the morning when we would wake up we would be freezing with the temp set to 66. The heater would wake us up each time it kicked on during the night.

The place is a very short walk to the ski lodge. The walk is a quick walk through trees, across a parking lot, then to the ski lodge. The walk is 5 minutes at a SLOW pace. This point was a huge win for us.

The outdoor hot tub was GREAT! We were fortunate to enjoy sitting in it while snow was falling at night.

The breakfast was good... but we had trouble getting food. The place was packed and the food went fast once it was put out. There are not enough tables for the number of people that came for breakfast. We ended up taking food to our room a couple mornings.
We did like all of the food and the coffee.

The hotel is a bit pricey. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge to have easy access to the spa and breakfast.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Way overpriced. Paper thin walls. Loud obnoxious guests with lots of yelling until after midnight though quiet hours were supposed to start at 10pm. No one available to help out as front desk closed at 10pm. Room was wet and moldy.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Halomania
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#8 of 11 in Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau
#7 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Rib Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!