“A+ staff”

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
“A+ staff”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was sad to see so many negative reviews! While The Plaza is in need of a little updating, I have only ever had positive experiences there. My company has held our annual banquet there every year since 2009, when we switched from another venue. Each year our event gets better and better, and that is due in a large part to the readiness of the staff to assist us in any way they can. I look forward to seeing them each year; their smiling faces and friendly manner make it a joy to work with them. This year my bosses had considered moving on again to a new location, but after our banquet they unanimously agreed we should stick with The Plaza as long as possible. We receive fantastic treatment, the food is excellent, and the prices are so reasonable. We have well over 200 people attend our banquet each year - the only complaints I ever hear from them is that the rooms need updating. I believe The Plaza is currently working on that issue, so I stick with my opinion that this place is great! If you're looking for a place to have a successful conference, I highly recommend The Plaza.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We arrived in Wausau to visit my Grandma in the hospital. We needed a room to stay in for the night without having to travel much farther. We tried the Days Inn, but they would not accept checks. So we chose to try the Plaza Hotel & Suites and the front desk said that they would accept a check as payment for the room. Thank You!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hurley,Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife had a cardiac event and was transported to Aspiris Wausau hospital. The Plaza was one of the hotels that offered discounts to lodgers having relatives staying at the hospital. My suite was located in the Tower portion of the hotel and had a refrigerator and microwave included. After 3 nights my daughters joined me for 4 nights and the hotel moved me to a room with 2 beds for no additional charge. The continental breakfast offered to lodgers was the best I have experienced in all my travels and Anthony the attendant there was the kindest and most helpful person I could have hoped for. The hotel even gave me a second discount for staying there after 7 days. The amenities include a workout area with separate saunas for men and women, a swimming pool and hot tub and children's pool.This is a top notch notch hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I was located in the tower portion of the hotel and was very impressed by the quality. Had a friend...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Wausau - a place where nothing ever really happened and nobody really famous ever came from. However, Wausau is where the Northwoods begins so you may need to stay there sometime. The Plaza is not as bad as the reviews indicate, but if you are looking for something halfway modern, this ain't it.

I stayed here for a conference on June 19, 2013. My room was large but other than the bathroom, it obviously hadn't been remodeled since it's heyday back in the 80s, or 70s, or perhaps the 60s. Nor was the bed particularly comfortable.

Although the hotel was extremely tired looking, it did have a sort of kitschy charm to it. The rooms all had large windows next to the door in the style you would find at a 1950s motel. Except instead of looking out onto a parking lot, the window look out into an inner courtyard with an indoor pool that had a large frog in it. Bizarro. On top of that, the conference rooms all had numerous cheap looking crystal chandeliers.

As I mentioned, the place wasn't as horrifying as some of the other reviews paint it. But then again, even Eloise's pet turtle, Skipperdee, probably wouldn't stay here a second time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jason_Klimowicz

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed for a genealogy conference. The conference rooms were fine, great spacing of chair rows. Breakfast was terrible over the weekend - Friday morning breakfast included sausages, scrambled eggs, waffles. Saturday and Sunday mornings were small muffins and donuts, no hot items at all. Coffee was out on Saturday morning and the young man needed to be told that it was out. Front desk clerk was dealing with check-ins and phone calls with no back up staff. Check-out on Saturday morning at least had two staff working the front desk.
The exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work. The door bottom had been shaved/planed until the spacing on the lock side was over 2 1/2". Needless to say, my door alarm slid right under the bottom of the door, which didn't do much for my peace of mind at night. Single elevator with no real option of using the stairs. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here for
Presidents' Day weekend to go skiing at granite peaks (our favorite Midwest ski resort) the rooms were small, you had to step behind the bathroom door to shut it. The beds were very uncomfortable. The breakfast was a joke and when it ran out, they didn't Do a good job refilling. But the worst thing was the cleaning staff. When we got back from the slopes our door had been left open a crack, cleaning supplies were left in our stuff and the a/c had been turned on and our room was an ice box. Not what you want to come back to after being out in the cold all day. The manger was apologetic, but that was about all. She did offer a free night stay, but I would take it (would never come back).

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Liza M
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because everywhere else was booked for the two days we wanted. The decor and carpet on last leg but fine to us. The cigarette smoke coming thru the vents was not. All our things reeked. The bed was hard and noise was crazy on first floor. We asked to switch rooms and got one without the smoke but carpet peeled up in areas and another uncomfortable bed. Would not stay here again especially for $109/night! This is worth $80 best case.

• Stayed February 2013