“Dated Rooms, Pool Area Fantastic”

Plaza Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The pros and cons of this hotel are as follows:

The pool area is outstanding and I found the staff to be friendly.

The rooms are dated and the sink is outside of the bathroom, so if you get up earlier that someone else in the room, there is the light on waking the other. Also, for some reason the light switch to the bathroom is outside of the bathroom so when you get up and turn on the light, it shines in the room as you enter the bathroom.

The fact is, this is a perfectly acceptable hotel, especially for those with kids who want to play in the pool. Or for those adults who like a swim and hot tub.

It is convenient to a grocery store, down the block from Starbucks, and only minutes from downtown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here in March. Had to slam my door to close it and felt as if I stepped through a time machine when we walked into the room (and not in a good way). Seriously old bed frames, outdated bedding, a bathroom with just a shower and tiolet (the sink and counter space are located outside of the "bathroom") and old box like tvs. After I found where breakfast was in the morning it was ok. And each time I went to the front desk the girl working actually seemed annoyed by me which was only 2x. But growing up in this area and coming back frequently to visit family there are much better places to stay.

1  Thank AjaAnn
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We checked out a couple of hours after checking in.
The smell of Pinesol and ammonia was causing headaches.
The room was dark and dreary - very old. There was a bare pipe running the length of the room near the ceiling.
When we complained about the odor at the front desk they said it was because of the pool - but the pool was closed.
We had to forfeit the cost of the room plus the $15 extra we paid for our dog. We would rather lose the $$ than to spend another hour there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JudiWayzata
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Ok, here's the deal... we needed a hotel in Wausau, but EVERYTHING was booked. Even the crappy Days Inn. BUT there were plenty of rooms open at the Plaza. We booked it. THEN we consulted Trip Advisor to see how awful the reviews were. We considered canceling and staying in another city nearby, but decided to just check it out and hope for the best. The truth is, this was a very nice hotel in its day. But that day is past. The building needs a multi-million dollar renovation, which I doubt will ever happen. It reminded me of a large abandoned hotel we visited down south once... the hotel had been abandoned for several months, and looters had been there to pull out the copper wiring, snatch up the furnishings, etc. So we did a walk through. You could tell it was a beautiful hotel in its day, but the place went bankrupt. Like that hotel, the Plaza has a nice pool area, big old fashioned ornate meeting rooms, and lots of hotel rooms, some poolside. But as we were lounging in the hot tub, looking around, I envisioned the Plaza just as we had seen that abandoned hotel down south... and I believe that someday soon, the same will happen here... birds will be flying through the open areas, making nests in the crooks and crannies in the pool area... all that will be left is the memory of what was once a beautiful hotel, which the owners let deteriorate and fall into bankruptcy. Not saying the Plaza is bankrupt, but there is really no way they could compete with the new modern hotels in town without a MAJOR renovation, and at this point, it is likely cheaper to tear it down and start over. That said, we actually felt FORTUNATE to have been able to stay here while it is still open. The room was not fantastic, but it was clean enough and comfortable, and the price was more than fair -- $69 for a king room; actually cheaper than the stinky Days Inn down the street. So when the inevitable happens and the Plaza's life is over, we can at least say we stayed there once... and by the way, we thought the front desk girls were very friendly and helpful. They must have fired the crabby ones from the other reviews!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thebirdguy123
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was a little worried to stay at the property from all the previous reviews. But that's why I like to experience things for myself.

The good: The hotel is clean. The lobby is very nice. It is in a good location with nearby grocery. The two girls working 2nd shift at the desk ( I can't remember there names, both younger) we amazing. They accept pets, which is an A+ for me. And the pool an hot tub area is huge!

The bad: This place is beyond outdated. The FFE looks like it is from the 70's. Some of the staff there were not dressed professional at all. Management needs to do a better job to make sure they have a staff in place that has a professional appearance. After all, this is not a Mom & Pop hotel. The breakfast was not good. Very little variety and they did not restock well (there was a huge basketball team in house). The bed was the worst I slept in, ever! And I mean that. They need a new, or need a maintenance guy. If they had the right one, he would take some pride in the huge lists of trouble areas.

Overall, I would only stay there again if they did some updating. It really needs it, the owners just need to stick some $$$ into this place and they will see their return.

I am a little bit more picky since I work in hospitality, but other do see the same thing I do.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Upon arrival, the hotel looked ok from the outside. When entering you have to walk through a maze to even find the front desk. When we found it, we were promptly greeted and assisted by Robert (who was completely wonderful!) Only to find out they screwed up the reservation. Robert did his best to accommodate, he just needed assistance from a supervisor. A woman came (Pam, I believe..the sales supervisor) and took all of Roberts great service and knocked it down. She gave an extremely bad attitude, and made no effort to assist! After throwing some papers on the desk, she just said "do whatever" and walked away.

We then proceeded to the room where we were greeted by 1970s filth and decor. There were stains on the walls, mold in the sink and corners, doors that were damaged, and wallpaper that was peeling. If that was not bad enough, you can hardly fit an adult in the bathroom (that doesn't lock).

The pool area was a positive. The hot tub was wonderful (once you figured out how to turn the jets on). There are also lots of nice areas with chairs to hang out on.

While walking around, we discovered there was a sauna and weight room. Word to the wise....DO NOT GO THERE!!!! It is located in the basement and is extremely creepy! The sauna did not work and was so small you can hardly fit 2 people in it! There were lots of disturbing sounds down there....even though we were the only ones there. (Haunted maybe?)

Overall, I would not recommend or stay at this dump again. Major renovations need to be done in order to make it appealing!

2  Thank Lucy_Fan_05
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We checked in to find out there was an error with our reservation. Front desk clerk was helpful but needed approval. He called over a woman from sales who was in a meeting, believe her name was pam. Anyway she came over with a nasty attitude threw her arms up and said whatever. What a buzzkill on a friday vacation day!!! The front lobby looks great! Your expecting the rooms to be awesome and what u get is the opposite! Room had pretzel under dresser that was viewAble, door didn't shut properly, sink had cracks n mold in it, wallpaper has dried on chocolate or something brown, door was cracked n molding on top, musty smell n gross bedding. Not to mention the hand soap is rock hard.the bathroomis so small an obese guest would not be able to close themselves in! I forgot the wallpaper in bathroom is peeling off. I woke up this morning n our room just smells like musty smoke, might be from the heater running.checked it The weight room n sauna in The basement and it was so creepy and scary don't recommend it! The pool n fridge in room is the only thing they have going. On a side note the shining wants their furniture back!

1  Thank ashrat34