“80's Revisited, not in a good way”

Plaza Hotel and Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Wisconsin
“80's Revisited, not in a good way”
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I have no doubt that this hotel was the pace to be in 1984.... Unfortunately, it's 2010. When I lived in Wausau over 10 years ago, this was a Ramada and was in much better condition. The rooms have updated decor, but that is it. For $50 per night and free continental breakfast, you can't complain too much. Having said that, this is without a doubt the last place I would stay in Wausau if I had a choice. The only reason we stayed is that the in-law's booked it as part of the family weekend at Granite Peak. The pool is not enclosed, so the entire place reeks of chlorine. There is a bar that is open until 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekends, and the prices are cheap (2.75 for a Sam Adams). The hotel itself is quite dated and in need of a total rehab, floor to ceiling. It does present well for it's age, and the stay was not as bad as I thought it would be from reading other reviews. Keep in mind that the beds are rock hard, the showers trickle water and the rooms smell like a chlorinated locker room. If you can keep in mind that this is not the Ritz, you will be fine, just come in expecting the worst and you will be fine.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank flip_wilson
guestservices79, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
The Plaza Hotel and Suites in Wausau, Wisconsin is going though an extensive remodel. We hope the changes will be welcome to our past guests. We hope these guests give us another try in the near future. If I can be of any help contact me at robs@plazawausau.com or 715-845-4341.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
wausau, wi
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Horrible stay. At check in I was given 2 keys. Neither worked, after going back to the front desk 4 times someone came with me, they obviously thought I wasn't smart enough to work it. Still nothing. We had to leave our door open for 5 hour, luckly we were with a large group so we could put everything of value in a friends room next door. We were told this was odd and never happens (just my luck). It was fixed at about 9 pm. Our friend put their 8 1/2 month old son to bed in their "ajoining" room and come over to ours. When they went back 15 min later, neither of their keys worked. Yes, their infant son was locked in the room alone. Front desk was quick to get a new key that did open the door, but at this point how do you trust that your keys will work later. Later that night, another couple in our group had the same problem (accidently shut door). How do keys just stop working, especially since "this never happens". This was the worst of our experience, but the hot tub was not hot, our patio door would not lock, the bartender was rude, at one point she slid our drink across the bar, while facing the other direction. Guess it was too much to ask to take 4 extra steps since she was so busy with the 6 people in there. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. In the morning at checkout I asked if there was some sort of discount for our troubles, the manager looked at me like I had 2 heads and told me "ABSOLUTELY NOT, I have been told to give NO discounts" Too bad, I would have been satisfied with something like: sorry I don't have that authorization for that, but I appologize for you inconvience. Just an apology and a smile, but no. Funny while I was leaving the front desk, a man came up and said "I just checked in to room 179, none of my keys work. We were in rooms 400-406, guess this "never" happens all over the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank mchase06

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

illinois
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Location is not a redeeming quality. The carpeting was disgusting. The bathroom was tiny. The hot tub was not hot. There were babies in diapers and ducky floaties in the 'hot' tub. The 'hot' tub was green! The continental breakfast was weak, many other hotels offer hot food too. The hotel staff was RUDE! This one does not and the restauant was NOT open for breakfast. Annie's is a good bet for Breakfast. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on our last visit, that was nice and clean!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank luv2travel0110
winthrop harbor
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Hotel name sounds cushy, but don't be deceived. Rooms are extremely small. Carpets are disgusting. Bathroom is tiny. Microwave door was filthy. TV buttons messed up-the volume button would change the channels.TV remote did not work. Had to run the air conditioner constantly in zero degree weather due to the hotel being humid from the indoor pool in the courtyard. Mold seen in many areas including in the toilets. Hallways have peeling drywall hanging down around windows due to extreme moisture problem. Went and bought my own blanket because theirs were gross and they did not have a top sheet over the blanket and I did not want to put their blanket near my face while sleeping. Free breakfast was nothing great. We went out to breakfast instead the other 2 days to get better food. We were here with a group of people, other wise we probably would have left after the first night. Hot tub had broken glass in it . Non-smoking rooms are next to smoking rooms and you can smell smoke from those rooms in the non-smoking rooms. If your room is on the outside corridor of the courtyard and on the main level, the hall way is freezing cold. This hotel looks like it used to be the kind where you would enter your hotel room on the outside of the building in its own door. Like the old fashined motel type-but they have converted a hallway all around the building to make it indoors so you are entering the main hotel and then going to your room, however the construction is terrible and not ventilated properly which has caused severe moisture problems and mold. Parking is terrible also. There was a wedding going on one night and a party another night so therefore we had to park in a bank parking lot nearby and it was icy and freezing outside. They do not have adequate parking for guests and also exra events going on in the hotel at the same time.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank hockeymom417
Kenosha, WI
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Traveled to area for youth hockey tournament. We were under impression that this was recently renovated. There are newer bathtub inserts that covered up the old tub and tile, but that is the only update I noticed. The indoor pool is located in a central atrium which we thought was great for the kids. Parents were able to keep an eye on them from their balcony. However this feature is also the hotel's main problem .... an open indoor pool causes a great deal of humidity. There are black mold spots throughout the hotel. Condensed water literally drips from the ceilings. Several entry doors are unsecured because they are unable to latch due to the ice build up. (winter) We had to run our A/C unit in the room to dry the air. Some of the rooms' heater/AC units drain water onto the hallway carpet ... which was multi-colored due to stains. Paint was peeling, and in some cases, drywall was exposed through rusting corner beads.
We appreciated the refrigerator and microwave in the rooms. The bathrooms are extremely small. (The bathroom door barely misses the toilet) There should be cleanable floor tile in front of the vanity, not carpet. Eww. The beds ... oh the beds. I could hear the springs crunching as I rolled over and the sheets wouldn't stay on the mattress.
The TV's are older. Don't plan on plugging anything into them.
I could go on with complaints about the building. The staff was very friendly and doing the best they can with what they have, but this place needs work. Their are many other newer places to choose from in this area.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank daveeman
Slinger, WI
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Our recent stay was a nightmare from hell. I was told since they hotel was empty I would be upgraded to a nicer room. They patio door didn't close all the way and my husband had to sleep with a cold draft blowing on him all night. To add fuel to the fire someone checked in at 2:30 am in the room next door to us slamming the door all night. Why would you put someone in the room next door to us if the hotel was empty? When I woke up I called to see if they had a continental breakfast. The clerk hesitated when I asked if they had a continental breakfast and said "yes, but it has been packed up." It was only 9:10am. The last time I checked breakfast is at least until 10 or 10:30. I then called room service to order breakfast- no one answered.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WILindaMG
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We stayed for an extended weekend. The hotel was well positioned between the Rib Mountain area and downtown Wausau. The staff was overall very pleasant, and everything was clean and comfortable. There's a modest but nice little bar area in which we enjoyed unwinding after the long car ride to Wausau.

As some have indicated, the place has a dated look to it, but for the price and location, that was hardly an issue. Also, we had a room directly by the pool and had no issues with excessive noise or distraction.

All in all, it was a well-priced, perfectly acceptable place to stay. Nothing luxurious, just no frills, clean lodging.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business