“Unacceptable Service for Wedding Reception” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plaza Hotel and Suites

Plaza Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
“Unacceptable Service for Wedding Reception”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Our daughter's wedding dinner/reception for 250+ guests was held at The Plaza in October. The Plaza is a beautiful place to have a reception. Unfortunately, management didn't do their job. The following is a factual listing of events of that evening. 1. Seven waitstaff were to be devoted to serving us. Three people called in sick. Apparently no one else was called in to help, nor did the manager step in to help. (apparently the serving of food is above management or anyone else at the Plaza). 2. Dinner is at 6:00pm, serving is done by 2 waitstaff. Obviously 250 people takes awhile. At 7:00pm, main course meal is still not served to everyone. A guest of ours went out doors to smoke and found several waitstaff outside also smoking and texting on cell phone. Management came out and reprimanded waitstaff to get back inside and serve dinner. 3. Wedding cake was not served to everyone. Guests informed us that cake was not served to their table. 4. One table of guests informed us that they were asked to leave their table at 8:00 before they were done eating so the waitstaff could dismantle the table because the table was sitting on the "dance floor" and the band was starting at 8:00. 5. The clearing of the tables were not done by 9:30. We had to go to kitchen & ask them to clean tables off. (don't you think that an hour long break is a little bit too long for the staff?) At 10:00 pizza was served and guests informed us that they had no room to eat because the tables were still not cleared off. 6. At 10:30 I asked waitstaff if there was wedding cake left over so this could be served. Waitstaff did not get back to me. Unfortunately, there was plenty of wedding cake left to serve at least 50-75 guests. Needless to say, this cake was wasted. 7. Bride requested Malibu/diet coke for beverage. Bartender argued with her saying this wasn't in the contract & the bride would have to sign a new contract. (who is paying the bill anyway? Mark the drink down on your little pad and smile!) Incidentally, the bride is allergic to sulfa and since sulfa is in the majority of alcoholic beverages, Malibu is the only alcoholic beverage she can drink.) 8. At 12:00-12:30 guests depart. I am the last one to leave reception area. Waitstaff is clearing off tables & no management or oversee them. I instructed them on decorations as to what to keep and what can be tossed. I personally packed several items in a basket. This included the favors that were given to our guests. The favors were glass itched coasters. There were approximately 10 sets left in a basket. The decorations and wedding gifts were to be put in a separate conference room. (The following afternoon, I discovered all the coasters were missing..stolen???) 9. Sunday morning I found conference room door closed, lights off & UNLOCKED, containing the wedding gifts and decorations. We were informed on Monday that the conference is locked until we request it to be unlocked (so who requested it? Not us.). 10. On Monday we met with the manager of The Plaza to put in a complaint, again. She could have cared less. Half way during the conversation she stated that they would have to "address the issues". She stated an apology ONCE!!! We left with the promise that she would look for the coasters, which were never found. On a positive note, Elizabeth Yanke, wedding planner at The Plaza did a wonderful job for us.

All of these issues are absolutely UNACCEPTABLE!!!! I can't stress enough how this has damaged the memory of our daughters wedding. The poor service is a reflection of us, not just The Plaza. The location is excellent. The reception room is beautiful. Why can't the management be on the same level of excellence?? I CHALLENGE THE OWNER of THE PLAZA TO CONTACT US. The date was October 9th, 2010. I'm sure that our contract is still on file. My intent of this is not for my own gain, but for future weddings. I do not want any other parent to go through what we did. When you have staff that steal, have no concern for their job, are not accommodating, Management who are not doing their job.... I am sure that there are plenty of other people out there that would love to have a job and would be much more suited to this line of work than the people you have employed now!!!! I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH HOW UNACCEPTABLE AND DISAPPOINTING THIS ALL WAS.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank sdblaubach
guestservices79, Manager at Plaza Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 20 December 2010
Guest

While the management staff here at the Plaza Hotel and Suites regret that you believe your event was not what you felt it should be. We strive to make every event held at our facility a success. Our record of repeat clients speaks to our ability to meet and exceed that goal. We would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host your daughter's wedding reception and feel we have taken steps to ensure any problems or issues that occurred during this event have been resolved.

Vicki Davis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Green Bay, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

This hotel needs new management: plain and simple. We were in town for a wedding, and stayed just one evening, but it tops the worst hostpitality experience I've ever had. We found out by booking in the "wedding block" we payed a 25$ premium than other guests who stayed in the hotel and weren't (although we were told it would be less). The furniture and the rooms are very worn out, and dusty. The food served during the wedding was cold, and several members of the staff had fingers in the bowls of food as it was being delivered to the buffet. Several guests didn't even eat. The bride and groom were clearly embarrassed. A few people complained of food illness and left early. When I brought that to the attention of the middle aged man that was the night manager, he said "we don't ever have those problems...they just drank too much." I don't know how to deal with that level of rudeness and aloofness.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ryanprint
guestservices79, Guest Relations Manager at Plaza Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
We at the Plaza always follow strict guidelines for handling of food. Our hotel has weddings every weekend and have never had a complaint like this at any time. We would like this guest to contact us so we can fix any issues the guest has with our hotel. Please contact me at
715-845-4341 or email me at robs@plazawausau.com.

Robert Scholnick
Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

I have no doubt that this hotel was the pace to be in 1984.... Unfortunately, it's 2010. When I lived in Wausau over 10 years ago, this was a Ramada and was in much better condition. The rooms have updated decor, but that is it. For $50 per night and free continental breakfast, you can't complain too much. Having said that, this is without a doubt the last place I would stay in Wausau if I had a choice. The only reason we stayed is that the in-law's booked it as part of the family weekend at Granite Peak. The pool is not enclosed, so the entire place reeks of chlorine. There is a bar that is open until 10 on weekdays and 12 on weekends, and the prices are cheap (2.75 for a Sam Adams). The hotel itself is quite dated and in need of a total rehab, floor to ceiling. It does present well for it's age, and the stay was not as bad as I thought it would be from reading other reviews. Keep in mind that the beds are rock hard, the showers trickle water and the rooms smell like a chlorinated locker room. If you can keep in mind that this is not the Ritz, you will be fine, just come in expecting the worst and you will be fine.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank flip_wilson
The Plaza Hotel and Suites in Wausau, Wisconsin is going though an extensive remodel. We hope the changes will be welcome to our past guests. We hope these guests give us another try in the near future. If I can be of any help contact me at robs@plazawausau.com or 715-845-4341.
wausau, wi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

Horrible stay. At check in I was given 2 keys. Neither worked, after going back to the front desk 4 times someone came with me, they obviously thought I wasn't smart enough to work it. Still nothing. We had to leave our door open for 5 hour, luckly we were with a large group so we could put everything of value in a friends room next door. We were told this was odd and never happens (just my luck). It was fixed at about 9 pm. Our friend put their 8 1/2 month old son to bed in their "ajoining" room and come over to ours. When they went back 15 min later, neither of their keys worked. Yes, their infant son was locked in the room alone. Front desk was quick to get a new key that did open the door, but at this point how do you trust that your keys will work later. Later that night, another couple in our group had the same problem (accidently shut door). How do keys just stop working, especially since "this never happens". This was the worst of our experience, but the hot tub was not hot, our patio door would not lock, the bartender was rude, at one point she slid our drink across the bar, while facing the other direction. Guess it was too much to ask to take 4 extra steps since she was so busy with the 6 people in there. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. In the morning at checkout I asked if there was some sort of discount for our troubles, the manager looked at me like I had 2 heads and told me "ABSOLUTELY NOT, I have been told to give NO discounts" Too bad, I would have been satisfied with something like: sorry I don't have that authorization for that, but I appologize for you inconvience. Just an apology and a smile, but no. Funny while I was leaving the front desk, a man came up and said "I just checked in to room 179, none of my keys work. We were in rooms 400-406, guess this "never" happens all over the hotel.

• Stayed December 2009
2 Thank mchase06
illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

Location is not a redeeming quality. The carpeting was disgusting. The bathroom was tiny. The hot tub was not hot. There were babies in diapers and ducky floaties in the 'hot' tub. The 'hot' tub was green! The continental breakfast was weak, many other hotels offer hot food too. The hotel staff was RUDE! This one does not and the restauant was NOT open for breakfast. Annie's is a good bet for Breakfast. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on our last visit, that was nice and clean!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank luv2travel0110
winthrop harbor
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

Hotel name sounds cushy, but don't be deceived. Rooms are extremely small. Carpets are disgusting. Bathroom is tiny. Microwave door was filthy. TV buttons messed up-the volume button would change the channels.TV remote did not work. Had to run the air conditioner constantly in zero degree weather due to the hotel being humid from the indoor pool in the courtyard. Mold seen in many areas including in the toilets. Hallways have peeling drywall hanging down around windows due to extreme moisture problem. Went and bought my own blanket because theirs were gross and they did not have a top sheet over the blanket and I did not want to put their blanket near my face while sleeping. Free breakfast was nothing great. We went out to breakfast instead the other 2 days to get better food. We were here with a group of people, other wise we probably would have left after the first night. Hot tub had broken glass in it . Non-smoking rooms are next to smoking rooms and you can smell smoke from those rooms in the non-smoking rooms. If your room is on the outside corridor of the courtyard and on the main level, the hall way is freezing cold. This hotel looks like it used to be the kind where you would enter your hotel room on the outside of the building in its own door. Like the old fashined motel type-but they have converted a hallway all around the building to make it indoors so you are entering the main hotel and then going to your room, however the construction is terrible and not ventilated properly which has caused severe moisture problems and mold. Parking is terrible also. There was a wedding going on one night and a party another night so therefore we had to park in a bank parking lot nearby and it was icy and freezing outside. They do not have adequate parking for guests and also exra events going on in the hotel at the same time.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank hockeymom417
Kenosha, WI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

Traveled to area for youth hockey tournament. We were under impression that this was recently renovated. There are newer bathtub inserts that covered up the old tub and tile, but that is the only update I noticed. The indoor pool is located in a central atrium which we thought was great for the kids. Parents were able to keep an eye on them from their balcony. However this feature is also the hotel's main problem .... an open indoor pool causes a great deal of humidity. There are black mold spots throughout the hotel. Condensed water literally drips from the ceilings. Several entry doors are unsecured because they are unable to latch due to the ice build up. (winter) We had to run our A/C unit in the room to dry the air. Some of the rooms' heater/AC units drain water onto the hallway carpet ... which was multi-colored due to stains. Paint was peeling, and in some cases, drywall was exposed through rusting corner beads.
We appreciated the refrigerator and microwave in the rooms. The bathrooms are extremely small. (The bathroom door barely misses the toilet) There should be cleanable floor tile in front of the vanity, not carpet. Eww. The beds ... oh the beds. I could hear the springs crunching as I rolled over and the sheets wouldn't stay on the mattress.
The TV's are older. Don't plan on plugging anything into them.
I could go on with complaints about the building. The staff was very friendly and doing the best they can with what they have, but this place needs work. Their are many other newer places to choose from in this area.

• Stayed January 2010