“Old School Family Italian”

Carmelo's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 162 Restaurants in Wausau
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: View
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Oliva family and dedicated staff welcome you to Carmelo's. Established in October of 1986; three generations strive to provide a family atmosphere and fine dining experience. Enjoy!
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Great must stop restaurant on your trip through Central Wisconsin. This Italian Restaurant is still family owned by the subsequent generations. All the family members work here and treats you like family. Great traditional recipes from handed down family recipes. And, dont forget the muddled old fashioneds.

Lucas O, Public Relations Manager at Carmelo's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you so much for the great review. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip through Central Wisconsin!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

A group of us (some from out of town, all getting together the day before a family wedding), agreed to have dinner at the well-known Carmelo's in Wausau. It's well known to me now as well, and not somewhere I would ever agree to eat again. As has been indicated, it's a busy place on a Friday night. And to be fair, locals indicated they have a great fish fry...but never offer any feedback on the Italian food. And when I checked, Carmelo's is an Italian restaurant, so I'd expect any judgment to be on their Italian specialties, not a Friday fish fry. In any case, no one at our table, a group of 8, no one had the fish fry. My brother in law had the special tenderloin, but indicated with a sawing motion the steak was anything but tender. Both my sister in laws had the shrimp and claimed to enjoy it. The other half and I both had the spaghetti carbanara. Prior to the meal, which was a long wait...the place was wholly understaffed for their busy Friday night...our very friendly waitress (the only high point of this meal), kept bringing us basket after basket of Carmelo's famous garlic bread. Starving after a long drive and no lunch, these greasy carbs were unwelcome...and I'd say the famous bread is nothing more than Roundy's so-called Italian loaf smeared with garlic powder mixed with margarine. The feeble salad that came had the usual iceberg/romaine mix, with a couple hunks of grocery store quality cucumbers and pallid tomatoes. Then came the carbanara. It was not good. If the egg and pasta water had ever been tossed with the pasta and parmesan to form a homogeneous mixture ever occurred, it wasn't with this dish. The bacon was tasteless, the parm wasn't melted, and the dish was in word lousy. I'd rate the place only one star, however the waitress did her best in what was clearly a very mis-managed place than has inexplicably become a local favorite. I'm guessing that's because there is a general lack of competition in the area, which is unfortunate.I was told by family members later in the weekend that the fish fry and the aforementioned tenderloin are great. I suggested that Italian restaurants should be specializing in regional delicacies, not fish-fries and steak. I don't plan on sticking with anything, because we have no intention of going back.

1  Thank Fussytrvler

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm very sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We work hard to provide the best dining experience possible. I'm glad your server was helpful and attentive. I hope you'll give us another try when you're in the area.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best fish fry around Wausau. It is pan fried, very lightly breaded. The "gold rush" potatoes are excellent. Nice view of Rib Mountain from the dining room. If your into old fashions, this is the place to have them. Staff is very friendly. Our favorite restaurant in Wausau

1  Thank PJMeyer

Thank you so much for the great comments! We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I ate at Carmelo's on Saturday night. The food is fantastic and the staff treat you like family. The food portions are of good size and very tasty.

We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner with us!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Prices are ok. Food is really good, the garlic bread is great. What i liked the most of this restaurant is the view to the Rib Mountain and the attention offered by the waiters.
I would definitely return for the pasta, garlic bread and the ambiance.

1  Thank Luis Carlos R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner and look forward to seeing you the next time you're in town!