“Terrain Park Could be better plotted”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Granite Peak

Granite Peak
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Wausau
Minneapolis, Minnesota
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Terrain Park Could be better plotted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Granite Peak is a good size ski resort. The comet speed lift is stellar. I like how they have added a larger beginners terrain park over by the kiddie hill as well. It's fun to dink around in, but also gives the inexperienced park rats a place they can play out of the way of others. The one thing lacking is progressive park features and lines.

The park used to be over where the large magic carpet is. That park was some of the most fun I have ever had. Since they have moved the park the features are set up in a way that is difficult to hit many in one run. They aren't staggered like most parks. They used to have medium sized jumps in the park off to the side. Now there is one huge jump you can take into the park. The knuckles are hit or miss, sometimes they are good, sometimes they seem to be lacking the right proportion to the jump.

Overall, I do enjoy my time at Granite, but I feel I haven't been able to progress as much as I did when they park was on the other side. The ticket price is outrageous. $80 for a day pass is just ridiculous. If you compare to other midwest resorts and even resorts out west---seriously. I can understand being a little more expensive since they have to blow snow, but they are $30 more per day than my resort near Minneapolis, and they have 18 chairlifts! Go on the nights they have specials--4pm-9pm for something like 17$, or the nights they do the group deal. The full day ticket price just isn't worth it for me as a local. If I have a whole day or weekend to spend, I would rather travel the extra hours to the U.P. and pay half the price for powder or just go the extra hour to Devil's Head.

This is all from an intermediate snowboarder point of view. If you are at the level of huge air and plenty of rails, it is probably a tad more enjoyable in the park. I have never skied so I can't say much about how skiers feel about it.

Visited January 2014

david.pattison@chrobinson.com
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“nice midwest ski area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

nice area, well maintained. had enough terrain variance to keep everybody happy for the day. day lodge was big enough to handle the crowd.

Visited March 2014
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best in the Midwest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

2 high speed lifts and adding a 3rd this summer! You cant beat this hill for the location. If you do not have a season pass it is a little expensive and the people running the lift could be a little more friendly. Out in CO lifties ask you how your doing, have a great run or at least say hello. Not really a big deal, but would be a nice practice.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank KurtMiranda
Deerfield, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Still love Granite Peak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

The beginner moguls and beginner glades have taught my kids how to ski that type of terrain and are now enjoying more challenging mogul fields and glades. And I skied their chutes twice this trip which was a great intro to chutes for me and I felt very proud of myself!

Visited April 2014
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Mountain for Snowboarding and Skiing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Wonderful get away for skiiers and snowboarders!!! Much better than any other local slopes!!! The 74 runs give you plenty to choose from and the half pipe is amazing!!!

Visited March 2014

Been to Granite Peak? Share your experiences!