“Was Hoffman house, Now Rivalz, its AMAZING!”
Review of Hoffman House - CLOSED

Hoffman House
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We use to frequent the Hoffman house for soup and salad, it wasn't the best but convenient at the time. It was also very outdated and drab. We stopped it to check out the changes when it changed to Rivalz. It's was a HUGE change. New set up and paint. The booths were redone and no longer dirty looking. The bar was also open and very clean. I never actually saw the Hoffman house bar open. The had an awesome burger lunch special and went with that. The food came out and it was HUGE! The burger was full of flavor and the fries, OMG they were so good. The new owner came over to ask us how it was, which was nice that he cared. Also, the staff was so nice and funny. The girl at the hostess stand -Amanda I believe- was very nice and helpful. Our waitress- madilynn?- was also a great help, she helped us choose our food - way to many new thing to try at once, we will defiantly be back to try more- Not to mention before eating we had a drink the bar tender -Kelsey?- was also nice in helping us choose and drink. We had rum runner. Cheap and omg! Delicious! - I apologize if I got the names wrong but I wanted to give a shout out to this good staff and great food- will be back again and props to the new managment!

1  Thank Kimm1972

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Rivalz proprietors came into an established restaurant with grand hopes. The execution, unfortunately, is extremely lacking.

The location is very dated, and the minimal tenant improvements have not helped. The removal of the salad bar was a big loss, and other than paint and decorations, that is the only major change to the layout.

The food is decent, but carries with it big-city pricing that little Wausau will not support. I sampled the po-boy sandwich, which was a valiant attempt to emulate New Orleans' real thing.

The service, however, was seriously lacking. Being one of two tables filled on a Tuesday night, they were not overtaxed. However, the meal was slow to arrive and never were we asked if we needed anything during the meal nor to replenish drinks.

We wouldn't bother going back, and expect its not long for this world...

3  Thank monkeysdad
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I ordered a cheeseburger, fries and water because I simply needed to eat and go. After waiting more than 30 minutes for my order, the server with no name badge said she forgot to put my order in but that she would do it "right now." I told her "no thank you" but she disappeared anyway; apparently to place my order. After waiting another 10 minutes with no one coming anywhere near my table, I placed $15.00 on the table and left.
Every employee there, as well as the owner, should be ashamed and embarrassed. (I hope you enjoyed your free money, too.)

2  Thank Cee D
ChefDan1958, Owner at Hoffman House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

I am embarrassed for your experience also, but do appreciate your feedback and will be checking into this situation, and would like to do something for you. If you could contact me owner Dan Loomis 715-842-1656

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Nothing went smoothly. The server was not good and had the "I don't care, I'm lazy attitude." We ordered steak and asked for A1 sauce. The server, Angela, said, "I"ll see if I can find some." She came back and said "I guess someone forgot to put it on the list" and we had no steak sauce for our steaks. They also didn't have any cashews for their Chicken Cashew Salad. She came back and refilled only one of our waters, not even all the way to the top. After she gave us our bill, she disappeared in the back for a long time talking to coworkers while we were waiting to pay and leave. There was no bell in the front for us to get her attention. They also didn't have enough change to give to us which took even longer.

My experience would be better if the server was better and simply showed that she cared, even if they didn't have for example, steak sauce. She was either very new on her first day, or very old and sick of her job. She needs to smile. And...apparently inventory needs to be kept up with.

1  Thank melissa y
ChefDan1958, Owner at Hoffman House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

I am very sorry about your dining experiance with us. If you could bring yourself to contact me at 715-842-1656 ask for Chef Dan. I would like to make this up to you. Dan Loomis

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Really too bad...the interior of bar and restaurant so out dated, the carpets were beyound cleaning, and both rooms smelled of musty old tennis shoes. Rips in booths, chairs and tables dirty. Food bacisally thrown on stained plate, no presentation and it taste like it looks. Bland , bland , bland....rice pilaf, really? Salad Bar was really sloppy, and not sure how clean the plastic "plants" are..How about some real greens?Service ok if they don't disappear from you're line of sight and gather somewhere by the bar area. Now come on where are the standards of The Best Western. Wouldn't go back or stay there either Too bad such a great location.

ChefDan1958, Owner at Hoffman House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I am very sorry for the bad experience, and wish you well in future travels.