“Best of our hotel stays in 2007!”

Jefferson Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Loved, loved, loved everything about this hotel! We didn't know we were in for such a treat when we booked at this hotel, but a treat we did indeed receive!!

We were very impressed by the all around quality of this hotel. The staff was friendly, the room was immaculate, and the little extras (too many to list) made this well worth our money.

Hands down this was one of the best Midwestern hotels we have stayed in thus far, and we hope to have a chance to visit there again when passing through.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iameverydaypeople

Reviewed 25 November 2007

Jefferson Street Inn is a fabulous hotel in Wausau. I was blown away by our room, the size, the amentities, everything. The sitting area was cozy and comfortable with the small fireplace, a very functional kitchenette (microwave, small fridge, storage)area and nice desk space. The bedroom was wonderful with a deep, jetted tub, king size bed. They provide Aveda bath products to my surprise, which was great, I'd forgotten my own shampoo!

Easy to connect to wi-fi is also worth mentioning and the nice, uncommon selections in the mini bar. The provide a lovely continental breakfast and it is very conveniently located to the Wausau Mall and business offices...you can walk to many well known offices as well as the mall.

We booked through the hotel website and got a great deal. I've stayed at many hotels around the country and this one surprisingly sits toward the top of my list.

The negatives we encountered...
The front desk agent, on the night of November 20th, left something to be desired. I don't know if he was stoned or just tired and inexperienced but he was slow and not at all efficient, not at all helpful with basic questions. We were also bummed out to find that there was no room service or dining in the hotel restaurant after 10pm. We arrived minutes after 10pm. So we had to have Papa John's pizza delivered. In my experience, room service is usually until 11pm if not midnight in the average hotel offering such a service.

I hadn't been to Wausau in close to 10 years. I grew up north of the area and frequented Wausau often in the 90s. I am pleased at how far Wausau has come in that amount of time, my husband and I are already talking about heading back up to get some skiing in at Rib Mountain and staying at Jefferson Street Inn!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank tiffeecanoe
Reviewed 22 October 2007

I booked a 1 bedroom suite from the hotel web site for $149. That seems like a great bargain. The room has a fireplace and a large jacuzzi bath. The room is clean and comfortable.

The adjoining restaurant is very nice. There are activities nearby (but not too much night life).

Staff are friendly and laid back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Taking into account our overall experience, and the limited options in Wausau, we do plan on returning to Jefferson Street Inn when we are in the area. However, you need to make sure you are getting a decent rate to justify the stay. Rack rates at Jefferson Street Inn are overpriced for what you get. In my opinion, this is not a boutique or luxury hotel as others have described. It is a nice, average hotel.

Arrival and First Impression:
Our first impression at Jefferson Street Inn was positive. They lobby is pretty and well kept with competent front desk workers and music in the hallways.

Room/Bathroom:
We stayed in a luxury suite. There is a living room area with a loveseat, coffee table, and work desk. The kitchenette area with coffeemaker is nice, but the coffee “use by” date had passed. The room was very spacious and had a fireplace in both the bedroom and living room. Guests should note that the fireplace does not put out much light or heat (if wanting a “romantic” mood). The bedroom was also very spacious. The sinks and jetted tub were open to the rest of the room, so it may be difficult if a couple traveling has two different schedules. (The one getting ready can not just shut a bathroom door while the other person sleeps.) However, the shower and toilet are together in a small area off the sinks and this area is separated by a door. Two sinks were very nice to have while traveling with a spouse. The robes and Aveda toiletries were also a nice touch. The whirlpool bath was spacious, but one jet was broken. The bed was very average, especially considering the push in the hotel industry for heavenly, comfortable bedding. Jefferson Street Inn has not joined the bedding bandwagon. There was no duvet or triple sheeting, average cheap hotel linens, no king pillowcases (two standard cases used on one pillow!), and an average mattress. None of this is terrible, in fact it is expected in an average hotel stay. But for an establishment that markets itself as a “luxury hotel”…I expect more.

Housekeeping/Service:
While the common areas and restaurant are very clean and nothing seemed out of place, our room was another story. Jefferson Street Inn was described as “ultra clean” and “spotless” in a previous review. The housekeeping staff must have changed, because we had a completely different experience in our room. There was dust throughout room, a solid layer on nightstands, lamps, and headboard. I wiped down the headboard before we went to bed and called first thing the next morning to ask housekeeping to dust when they clean the room (I just assumed the room hadn’t been stayed in lately and so some dust had accumulated since the last time it was cleaned). When we returned that day, housekeeping did not dust. The bed was made and towels replenished, but a robe was left laying on the floor and a jacket I had ironed and left hanging on a hanger on an interior door must have been knocked off and was lying on floor. I went downstairs on my way back out and told the front desk that the room still hadn’t been dusted. The front desk worker said he had let the housekeepers know so there shouldn’t be a problem. I then asked if there was a manager on duty I could speak with about our housekeeping. At this point, it just seemed that attention to detail was lacking (and did not match the rest of our experience at the hotel) and I thought that management would want to know. The front desk worker said the managers were in, but were doing other things in the building and I would need to check back after 3:00pm when things slowed down a bit for them. This was a bit shocking. As a previous hotel manager myself, I cannot imagine being too busy to resolve a guest concern. I also would not expect the guest to “check back by” later. At the very least, they could have either sent someone up to dust or taken my cell phone number and had the manager call me when they had some time. Nevertheless, I checked back at 4:00pm when I returned and let a manager know the situation. She listened to my concern and assured me she would take care of it. She asked me to call if it was still not dusted when I went upstairs. It wasn’t. The front desk person came up with rag and cleaner (I assume this was the manager’s way of taking care of it). Again, from a public relations standpoint, I would have come up myself if I was her. I didn’t like the idea of the front desk work having to clean just because housekeeping had left for the day and the manager passed it off on him (and we’d already lived with it for a day at this point anyway!), so I just asked him to leave the rag and solution and ask housekeeping to take care of things in the morning. I did a quick wipe down of other surfaces in the room with the rag and cleaning solution. The room was cleaned the next day and was then great overall! (However, the hotel needs to recheck their spring cleaning schedule, the television units and back cushions of the upholstered furniture all had caked on dust.) All of that said, housekeeping staff tends to rotate at hotels, so this experience may be completely different on another visit.

Location:
The location is great if you are going to be in downtown Wausau. It is easy to walk to restaurants, the public library, and an array of downtown shops.

Breakfast:
The continental breakfast is very good for what it is – yogurt, some cereal and breads; the fruit did not look fresh, but it was April so that is no surprise. The hotel restaurant is a great stop for lunch or dinner.

Overall:
Overall, Jefferson Street Inn performs as an average hotel, and is an excellent selection if that is what you are looking for when you make your reservation. Do not pay more than $125/night for an executive room or luxury suite. If rates are higher I would go to another area hotel and get a better deal on an average room. Jefferson Street Inn is not a boutique or luxury hotel experience, but is a decent place to stay for business in Wausau. I would not recommend it for a special occasion or anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
12  Thank Cindy30A
Reviewed 9 April 2007

We stayed at the Jefferson St. Inn for a gathering of about 12 friends. The hotel is clean, new, contemporary, and comfortable with a grown-up air and amenities I frankly don't see too often in Wisconsin.

I saw three types of guest rooms, since our group booked a whole bunch of rooms. The corner suite was huge and well-appointed, with full kitchen (including full-sized appliances) and a giant stone shower/steam room with seating and showering for two! The mini suites had big living spaces with kitchenettes and hot tubs in the sleeping area. All well-appointed with thoughtful amenities and decor that was more than generic hotel.

Staff was cheerful, outgoing and friendly, and check in included a two-for-one coupon for brunch.

Restaurant was good - nice dining for Wausau, using fresh ingredients and contemporary preparations, although our waiter had major multi-tasking problems.

I disagree with the price comment made by a previous reviewer; hotel rates are going up-up-up, with most metro Chicago rates topping $225, so $150 for the space, amenities and service of this boutique hotel in a great location was more than reasonable.

We used the services of the small day spa located in the same building - GREAT massage therapist. Although the spa is undergoing renovation and a little cramped for space, the staff is outstanding and spa services are great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
10  Thank Marge246
Reviewed 22 January 2007

I recently stayed at the Jefferson Street in Wausau for the first time. Several people have recommended that I stay at the Jefferson Street Inn so I gave at a try.

The hotels location is Downtown Wausau, walking distance to several good restaurants, bars, coffee shops, stores and a good size shopping mall (Wausau Center). It was great to be able to walk to so many places which are very unusual in the Wausau area.

My guest room was very, at par with a "big city" three or four star hotel, comfortable bed coverings, Avada bath products, mini bar an in-room snacks, etc. etc.

Parking was also very handy in a covered garage across the street, connected by a covered sky bridge.

The City Grill, the restaurant in the hotel was very good at bar with a restaurant at a high-end hotel. The menu featured a great variety of items and excellent steaks. A continental breakfast including fresh fruit is served in the restaurant space in the mornings.

There is a very small pool (almost too small to be useful), a nice hot-tub, sauna and workout room.

While I enjoyed my stay at the Jefferson Street Inn there were two major concerns that would make me think twice before staying there in the future.

1. The Price - $150 plus taxes for a standard hotel guest room would be expected in Chicago, OK in Milwaukee or Minneapolis and unbelievable in Wausau, Wisconsin! My room rate was $149 a night which has to be over $50 more a night than any other hotel in Wausau! Yes the hotel is nice but to charge Chicago prices in Central Wisconsin is outrageous! The hotel then charged a $6.00 parking fee! A parking fee in Central Wisconsin? You can park anywhere for free and they charge for parking? I often stay at the Marriott Courtyard, considered to be one of the better hotels in Wausau for $89 a night with no parking charge.

2. Kids, kids everywhere - One reason I selected the Jefferson Street Inn was to avoid the hordes of children that always seem present at other hotels in Wausau (especially during ski weekends at Granite Peak). One would think that a hotel in Downtown Wausau would away from the ski area would be a more professional environment.

After a long day away from my room I went down to the pool where there were about 30 out-of-control kids and their parents Who appeared to not care about their offspring’s behavior? After returning to my room to take a nap before dinner, packs of unruly children were running down the hallways of the hotel, jumping on the beds in the room next door and using the elevator as a "ride."

I am grateful I was not in town on business, it would have been impossible to get any work complete with all of the noise surrounding me.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
15  Thank TrentinChicago
Reviewed 29 October 2006

I was pleasantly surprised to discover this chic hotel in such a small town. The rooms were nicely decorated and extremely comfortable. Internet access was free. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of downtown Wausau and attached to a shopping mall.

Breakfast was included in the room price - and was a very nice spread of fruit, bagels, breads, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, juices, and hot beverages.

The hotel will arrange for shuttle service to and from the local airport, but there was a bit of a snag in this operation when I stayed there. I think they have worked out the kinks, though.

For dinner, I recommend staying at the hotel and dining at the restaurant located right off of the lobby. The beef carpacio appetizer was flavorful, and the daily soups full of texture and deliciously comforting after a cold day.

There is a cute book store down town, that is worth a stroll and a venture outside the hotel, along with a lovely, offbeat coffee shop.

Stayed: September 2006