“Discovering Wausau”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Madison, Wisconsin
“Discovering Wausau”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I travel all around Wisconsin every week and stay in many different hotels, and I must say The Jefferson Street Inn has to be one of the best kept secrets in the State. As soon as I came to check in, the Manager on Duty greeted our company and made us feel comfortable and happy to be there. I had not been to Downtown Wausau in a few years, just a fabulous community if you ask me. The location of this Hotel puts you right in the mix of it all just by walking out the front doors. This hotel has the uniqueness you would find in a much larger market, yet the price of this hotel is preposterously cheap for the quality of rooms, dinning, and facility amenities. I give this hotel 2 big thumbs up, and am planning of returning in August to stay for a few nights. Big thanks to the staff for making our companies stay accommodating and memorable!
_The Discover Wisconsin Crew

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We had a standard room, Although the room was not really large it was cozy and comfortable in the cold Wisconsin weather. We found the staff to be accommodating but not overly friendly or knowledgeable about the area. The hotel location is convenient to several restaurants including the hotel restaurant which was outstanding. There is also a shopping mall behind the hotel,it is not huge but has many major retail stores. Being from Arizona, the foot and a half of snow added over night was somewhat difficult to navigate but kind of fun at the same time. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
jsi-6500, General Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your hotel experience at the Jefferson Street Inn.

We hope that you will return to the Jefferson Street Inn! Thank you, Debbie
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Jefferson while on an overnight in Wausau in April, 2013. First, the location is great, being within walking distance of the mall and many other shops and good restaurants. Next, the rooms are clean and decent sized for a typical guest room. One elevator in the main lobby can create a longer wait if you are used to multiple elevators at bigger hotels. So there's always the stairs if you don't mind a little maze to get from the lobby to the pool/fitness center. Good thing is there are signs helping mark your way to each destination. Lastly, the service/food. Not too impressed with the front desk, took a long time to check in and called for a pickup at the airport and completely forgot about my party. Not a good first impression. Driver was a very nice man and friendly to us. Breakfast is basic continental. Bagels, yogurts, cereal are your choices. Dinner is better though. Great restaurants within walking distance. Nice hotel overall.

• Stayed April 2013
Plover, WI
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My spouse and I stayed at the Jefferson Street last week and really enjoyed the experience. The rooms were clean and spacious. They allowed me to check in early at 1pm instead of the regular 3pm. Downtown Wausau is a quaint and has several small museums within walking distance.

I treated my spouse to a visit at the DaySpring Spa that is in the same building.

Over all a great stay.

Only downside comment was the breakfast. I never expect too much in a continental breakfast but this one was kind of spartan. Given the rest of the hotel, I expected more variety in the food choices. There were no hot items.

Room Tip: We had a room facing east over the back of the building. A room facing west would have had a better...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The Jefferson Street Inn offers a comfortable stay in the center of Wausau. The hotel calls itself a luxury hotel, and on several levels it is. I stayed in a Luxury Suite and appreciated the two fire places, well appointed vanity with Aveda products, bathrobes and whirlpool tub. I thought the service of several staff members was comparable to a well run four star hotel. I was happy to find an honor bar in the room, though disappointed it was not restocked during my three night stay. The hotel is centrally located with easy access to a spa, quaint coffee shop and specialty shops. I suggest you make time for a 90 minute massage at Dayspring Spa during your stay.

There were elements of the hotel that were disappointing, such as on the two attempts I tried to go to the restaurant only to find it closed, and there were no off-hour food options available. In our room, the main closet was too narrow to put clothes in without having to leave the closet door open. The WC was very small, and the shower stall and showerhead were similar to what you find in a budget hotel. The exercise room and pool area were anything but luxurious. Drab, dark, cinder block room that felt more like a school gym than a luxury hotel. The sauna was boarded over with a piece of plywood.

For a hotel that prides itself in luxury, they could improve by educating employees in presentation and customer service. I thought the front desk team was dressed more like they were going to the gym then they were running the best hotel in the city. When I checked in after a much delayed flight, I was told the restaurant was closed and the best I could do was try to call Pizza Hut. I decided to walk out of the hotel and found a sub shop open. A luxury hotel knows guests’ options or has the reference tools to give them a great answer. That said, some employees went above and beyond, such as one team member who was proactive and called my room before delivering my delayed luggage that the airline dropped off.

I would recommend staying at the Jefferson Street Inn if you are visiting the area, and hopefully by the time you do they will deliver you the full luxury experience they advertise.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel amenities. I am sorry you were disappointed with the pool and exercise facility; we had a recent fire in the sauna which caused it to close permanently, and during the reconstruction the area was blocked off for guest safety.

We have completely revamped the area to provide a more relaxing atmosphere.

We will certainly review all the dining options which are right outside our door with the staff. We hope that you will return to the Jefferson Street Inn! Thank you, Debbie
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We just went to Wausau for a few nights over Spring Break. We had a very relaxing stay and the Jefferson Street Inn is a prime location to everything we needed (Granite Peak, shopping and food). The hotel staff was personable and friendly and the rooms were very clean and spacious. We did stay in a fireplace suite, which exceeded its expectations. There is a basic complimentary breakfast (cereal, yogurt, some bagels, oatmeal) but I did not know it was included so not fancy, but a definite little perk! They also have a very good restaurant attached (The New City Grill) with a vast menu. We would definitely go back and stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
jsi-6500, General Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay, we appreciate your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the area and all that downtown offers!

Look forward to you returning to the Jefferson Street Inn! Thank you, Debbie
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Don't let the name fool you because you don't recognize it. This place is better than a chain-name hotel. Pros: central downtown location; hotel is connected to shops and across the street from a mall and other boutique shops; restaurant in hotel is very good (see review for City Grill); indoor bridge connects hotel to parking garage across street; Wi-Fi in hotel worked amazing; room was huge, clean and bed was super comfortable; didn't hear a door slam, people talking, adjacent rooms' TV's, toilets or running water; it's as if I had the entire floor to myself; Aveda toiletries; great work space; mini bar with fridge; should I keep going? Reasonably priced, thick towels, light but pressurized shower; great security. I felt pampered. Cons: only one night stay for business!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
#8 of 10 in Wausau
Stewart Inn
Stewart Inn
#7 of 10 in Wausau

Been to Jefferson Street Inn? Share your experiences!