“New Years in Wausau” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Vail
“New Years in Wausau”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed at the Jefferson Street Inn on New Years night 2013. Made reservation a few days prior and checked in around 7pm that night. Had a nice room, clean, and found it very accommodating. Breakfast was quite a bit bigger than I expected but not sure if that was a New Years day exception.

Location was great, had dinner and drinks in the hotel bar, City Grill. Great steak and would also recommend the Salmon. Did not have reservations but the hostess set us up with a great bar table by the entertainment. Reservations would have been a smart move so if there on a weekend may want to call the restaurant ahead of time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

Over all the hotel is quite nice, we enjoyed the location and our time there. We had a 1 bedroom suite and it was quite large, worked perfect for our group of 4 (we brought our own portable bed). The fireplaces are fake but they still kinda look like a real one.
The BREAKFAST IS HORRIBLE!!! I have had more to choose from for breakfast at lower star hotels such as Quality Inn, Days Inn, or Comfort Inn. The breakfast is in their attached restaurant which is a nice space but there was very little selection for food, and not one warm item. Our group of 10 ate somewhere else the 2nd morning.

Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at the Jefferson Inn during a ski get away. We booked the suite and really enjoyed the extra room and the whirlpool. Though I was aware of it prior, I think the term 'fireplace' room is misleading since it is a fake fireplace. But, the room was excellent and we enjoyed it. Great location too,the square was so quaint and a surprise for the size of town! Service was fantastic!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

jsi-6500, General Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Brian,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay! Hope you visit us again soon we just received another 8 inches of fresh snow, the ski hill is perfect!

All the best, Debbie
Minocqua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have always enjoyed staying at the Jefferson Street Inn when I want to spend the night. This time was no exception. I was there to attend a BJ Thomas concert at the Grand. The appreciated the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff at the front desk. The young woman from behind the desk suggested I park in the parking ramp and use the skywalk because the weather was snowy and icy. I did not realize there was a skywalk. Excellent suggestion! Another young woman helped me find my room once I walked off the skywalk. Being attached to the City Grill is also a big plus. The food and service is excellent and I did not have to go out in the bad weather. I even caught a glimpse of BJ Thomas walking through with his wife while I was enjoying my meal. The only thing that marred my stay was when I opened up the door to my room. At first glance I quickly noticed what a lovely and spacious room it was but it had a strong pungent odor which reminded me of a " sweaty old man." I notified the front desk who said they could put a machine in my room to clear the smell and if the smell remained I could have another room. The odor in my room changed from "old man" smell to a heavy chemical odor. I decided to stay in my room anyway. I shut off the heat and opened a window. I had a fireplace in my room which at first I was delighted about. I thought is was a gas fireplace but instead it was a fake "cheesy" appearing fake fire that emitted a little heat. If you want to impress the guest either remove the fake fireplace or replace it with a gas fireplace.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Oshkosh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked this room for a ski weekend as part of a package but upgraded to a full kitchen room to save on dining out at night.
We were very pleased with the room. It was large enough for two adults and two kids, comfortable, quiet and clean with lots of natural light. The bathrooms are modern and stocked with Aveda products which is a nice touch.
The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.
The only complaint and it's a minor one, is that the continental breakfast was so - so. I stay at cheaper hotels for work that offer much better breakfasts which are included in the price.
All in all though, this is a very nice hotel and worth the 10 minute drive to the ski hill.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

jsi-6500, General Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your enjoyment of your experience at The Jefferson Street Inn! We are delighted that you had such a great time!
We look forward to your return visit. All the best, Debbie
Naperville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Offer more than 2 complimentary breakfasts per suite when requested. We had 4 and they were fairly unaccommodating with us in the morning when all we wanted was a snack.

Plumbing in 331 is bad, we had to plunge numerous times with normal use. This was annoying. Also, should have some rack installed on the wall for non-handicapped people in the shower. It was annoying to have to put shampoo and soap on the floor.

Staff at City Grill with exception of ticket checkers were excellent, especially the waiters.

Otherwise stay was solid.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Overall this place was great, service, cleanliness, pool and location were amazing. The continental breakfast was a bit lacking. All carbs with the only protein being hard boiled eggs. Could have used a sausage/bacon or scrambled eggs tray of some sorts. We wound up going out for breakfast the second morning.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau
#6 of 10 in Wausau

Been to Jefferson Street Inn? Share your experiences!