“Great motel!!!”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Sarasota, Florida
“Great motel!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This was a lovely hotel ..... the fact they had an adjoining restaurant with GOOD FOOD was another plus. Breakfast in the morning was terrific as well. Very nice pool area .... great for families!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank travelers22011
BestWesternWausau, Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
We are glad you had a spectacular stay. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We arrived in Wausau after a very long day driving from central Indiana. We got off the Interstate to look at a map & found with the construction the entrance back to the Interstate was closed. We called the hotel to ask for "go-around" directions to the property. Quite surprised when Rachel at the front desk stayed on the phone with us for 15 minutes giving turn-by-turn (complete with landmarks) directions to the property. Could not have asked for better customer service! A/C was working fine for us -- actually had to turn it off during the night because it was too cold. Did leak a bit though onto the carpet. B'fast was another pleasant surprise. Good selection & good food.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Catherine S
BestWesternWausau, Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know how your stay was! We hope to see you again soon.
Cambria
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We booked a room at the Best Western Midway because it was a convenient stop on our journey between Sturgeon Bay and Shell Lake in Wisconsin. The room price was very low, so we were not expecting much. Imagine our surprise to find a lovely hotel room, unbelievable pool area, and great breakfast room and wonderful free breakfast. We were blown away by the hotel and the service.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MRhoadesCambria
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed here for a night after the airshow in Oshkosh before heading home. Difficult to find the usual big city brands in central wisconsin, so went with the Midway Hotel. A pretty old property of which there seem to be many similar designs in WI and IL. Nice large atrium with pool and hottub. No time to use them however, just sleep and leave in the am. Room has been renovated very nicely, attractive and comfortable. Wanted to open the window and get fresh air but the highway noise was just too great. There was a breakfast included with the stay and I didn't expect much more than a box of donuts in the lobby. Was I ever wrong, we were told to help ourselves to the buffet in the restaurant that had eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, waffles, and fruit. One of the best and most complete hotel breakfasts I have ever had. Considering everything, it was a fantastic bargain. Took a short drive through town before departing, pretty nice place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ready.Teddy
BestWesternWausau, Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for staying with the world's largest hotel chain and for your compliments about the hot breakfast buffet and the property. We are constantly making updates to our historic and memorable property, I'm glad you enjoyed the updates. A secret/suggestion for the next time you stay, if you like to have your window open and avoid traffic noise, ask for a room on the parking lot side of the hotel. Hope to see you again soon!
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Hotel is not in a good location. It is an older hotel and is in need of a face lift. A business associate and I both had air conditioning in our rooms not working properly. The lock on the door also had issues.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank PCHTravel
I apologize you were disappointed with the location of our hotel. We are located just one block from Exit 190 off of Interstate 39/Hwy 51/Hwy 29, and just a couple minutes from many popular stores (Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Wausau Center Mall, and more!) restaurants (IHop, Applebee's, Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, and more!), attractions (Granite Peak Ski Area, Rib Mountain State Park, State Park Speedway, Wausau Whitewater Park, Marathon Park, and more!), and large businesses (3M, Kolbe and Kolbe, United Health Care, Aspirus Wausau Hospital, and more!).

I'm sorry if your air conditioning unit was not working properly Steve. Sometimes the controls on the air conditioning units are a bit confusing for guests, resulting in the air conditioning unit to not be set for maximum cooling. In addition, occasionally a unit does break down and stop cooling. In either case, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

We are always available to assist guests and make your stay a pleasant one.

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 July 2011

1. The pool was undergoing a cleaning that weekend. Why pick a weekend when you can do it on a weekday? They didn't notify us of this when we made the reservation 2 weeks earlier. No Pool, No hot tub. Disappointing.
2. We made the reservation on the 1st floor, king size bed. We called to confirm reservations (just to make sure...) and it was 1st floor, 2 twin beds. My fiancé & I wish to share a bed, so we asked to move. They complied, but when we got the room key we were given 2nd floor. Could have asked to change back to 1st but we're tired of having to make changes.
3. Were only given 1 room key. I debated asking for more, but why do I have to constantly ask for things? Are they so new to the hotel guest experience that they cannot figure out each guest will want their own room key? Annoying, but we dealt with it.
4. Had to ask for extra towels in the room- they give you 2 and their body towels are the size of hand towels. Seriously scratchy, too.
5. When we finally used the shower, it sprayed everywhere. The tub had mold on it.
6. The carpet looked stained & uncleaned, like someone wiped thousands of McDonald’s fries on it. I didn’t take my shoes off.
7. Bad luck on our part: a storm knocked out cable, too.
There was a good thing, though:
8. The bed was very, very comfortable
9. The AC unit was a small, old window unit that spit dust out when I turned it on. We left the hotel to go out for dinner, pool, mini golf, and bowling with my friends. 6 hours later the room was still hot. Much like the non-air conditioned hallway.
It’s an old building, it’s not kept up enough, it’s nowhere near clean enough in my humble opinion. The pool area looked nice from what I saw, though I’ll never know because there’s no way I’m staying there again. We had a military discount since my fiancé is active duty. Even that wasn’t good enough, we had to complain. The management was kind enough to comp ½ off. In the end, it only cost us $37 for the room. For the final price, the hotel was worth the price spent. Normal price, though, is $90. Forget that, that hotel is only a good place to crash if you can sanitize yourself at a clean hotel the next day.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Musicmeg83
Nice to hear you enjoyed our new beds! I am sorry your stay was not spectacular. I'm happy to inform you lots of changes have occurred since you stayed with us!

Our pool and whirlpool repairs are now complete and are tons of fun. Our pool was closed for repairs/remodeling during your stay, we did try to contact all guests who had reservations to notify them of the repairs, I'm sorry if you did not get contacted.

Guest Service Representatives always put you, our guest, at top priority, and are trained to exceed your expectations. I'm sorry if your reservation was handled incorrectly, I assure you I will investigate and address your comments Justin.

Our Bath Towels follow Best Western's strict size, quantity and quality requirements. I'm sorry that they were not satisfactory for you. I would like to note we have changed our fabric softener since you stayed.

I'm sorry that you feel the facility was in your humble opinion, unclean, and that you were upset the pool area was being cleaned on a weekend. Our carpeting was cleaned since you stayed with us, and hour housekeeping staff takes great pride in the cleanliness and sanitization of the facility.

Again I apologize for your disappointing stay. I hope you do try us again; I assure you it will be a spectacular stay!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 5 July 2011

What a nice hotel in a beautiful city. This hotel is not new, but was well kept-up. There is a nice indoor pool, along with pool tables and video games in the pool area. The included hot breakfast had lots of options. For what we paid, I couldn't have asked for more.

Room Tip: ask at the desk if there are lower priced rooms