“Disorganized but fun”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Rogers
“Disorganized but fun”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Good time with family. Not as organized at the front desk because it was too busy for staff. Staff was friendly but not able to offer explanation of room designation as to why those who reserved early were not given room preference over those who had just reserved....i e 1st floor over 2nd floor. Stairs and no elevator were a problem with some family members. Precedence was given to ball teams over an annual family reunion which was booked a year in advance as a recurring event for many years.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Unexpectedly found ourselves in Wausau and a local recommended this Best Western. It was spot-on. Off the beaten track, but freeway close. Well maintained inside and out. Kerri and Jeff were at the front deask to greet us and we got a great rate. It is rather a sprawling complex with an indoor pool. Nicely laid out, though, and a full hot breakfast the next morning. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
West allis
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed here recently for a family get a way. I have stayed at Best Westerns my whole life, I will go out of my way just to stay at one. I found this hotel online and from the pictures it looked great, like I remember from when I was a kid. When we checked in the girl behind the desk was very slow. She seemed as if she had no idea what she was doing. It was the longest check in time I have ever sat through. I was also thrown off by the way she was dressed. I expected more for a front desk staff ( she was dressed more to be going out to a club than to be working the desk, heavy make up, way to much cleavage and her shirt was tied up with some belt wrap. Very unprofessional). We finally checked in and the room smelled musty and the bathroom was clearly not cleaned properly. Despite all that we went to the pool which was FREEZING. My kids would not even get in it, my husband went to ask them why it was so cold and they said " it's not cold, it's because the pool is in an atrium." That is so wrong, we just stayed at the Best Western in Green bay, the pool also in the same atrium, and the pool was heated and warm. After leaving there we finally went to the front desk to voice our concerns and they could care less. I asked to speak to the general manager and she was not available any of the days we were there, the day she was she was there all of 3 hours and was to busy to talk to us. ( what general manger is not ever there to help her guests??) I was helped by a "front desk manager" who did nothing but talk to me like I was a child, very degrading and up setting. There was one woman in a side office that apologized to me and told me they would work on the problems I was having ( better than nothing). The only good thing I have to say about this place was the onsite restaurant, the food was HUGE and absolutely amazing! I'm form the south, so their flavors defiantly hit home! (continental breakfast could use some improvements, but the next day I ordered off of the breakfast menu and they hit it out of the park!!! (inexpensive too). I recommend paying the couple extra bucks to order off the menu verses the free continental. To sum it up, this hotel need work! And defiantly new management apparently! Same yourself the time and stay somewhere else!!! We will never stay there again or reconnect it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kimm1972

Travellers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My daughter was playing in the state softball tournament so we stayed here with 12 other families as well as multiple other teams, so this place was packed!!

Brogan at the front desk was so nice and helpful and ALWAYS had a smile on his face. We were allowed to check in early which was great since I really needed to get out of the heat before the next game (and it was within 10 minutes of the ball fields). I was so happy when we got to the room (we were in 107) because of the size of it and the air worked great. I'm told there were older AC units in some of the other rooms but mine was wonderful. The beds were pretty darn small for two adults though, but very comfortable. It was so fun to walk right out our door and be at the pool and game area. It was a great spot for our team and parents to gather and play in our down time. The pool was a bit cool but was very refreshing and the girls all had a blast in it.

I was worried about noise before we got there, mostly based on prior reviews but the staff was really great taking care of those being overly noisy so that, combined with the fact that I brought my own fan, and we really had no noise issues except in the morning when the people above us were getting ready to leave.

I agree that the breakfast was ok at best, but that's not really a hotel issue. There were enough options that you can find something that works for you (danish, mini-muffins, cereals, pancakes, eggs, toast, oatmeal and drinks). The noon checkout was amazing because we were able to have breakfast AND take another swim all before having to check out.

I think there is no doubt we'd stay here for the tournament again next year. This is a really nice hotel and I'd not hesitate to recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: If you can handle the steps - there is no elevator, take a top floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently stayed here for a State softball tournament. They were helpful for late check in and out. The hotel is a little dated but what a value. The pool area is clean and well maintained. The beds were comfortable & rooms were clean. I liked that the remotes were cleaned for each new check in.

Room Tip: Do not choose a pool room if you want to go to sleep early. Or.... Choose a pool room to keep an ey...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Benton, Kentucky
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is beautiful with updated décor and a rustic cabin feel, but no elevators. The room is beautiful too with all the necessities and a comfortable bed and chair with ottoman. I had a few issues with the hotel staff. When I checked in I was later greeted by the front desk lady because their system booked 2 guests in the same room. I had to wait for her to bring me a key for my room.
The next morning I was unable to take a shower because the shower didn't work, everything else did work. The guy at the front desk came to see if he could fix it because maintenance would not be available before I wanted to leave. He does not seem to have much knowledge how to handle bad situations or customer service. He finally offered to let me use a shower in another room, but that one did not work either. I left a comment card in hopes to get a partial credit since he did not offer.
A few days later I was charged for the room. I tried 3 times to get someone to help me before I would file a dispute. The 3rd person was able to help me but said they don’t show charging my card. I then filed a dispute and got my money back from the card company.
I won’t stay here again or recommend this place to a friend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ShadowQueen43
Stillwater, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Spare of the moment trip on the 4th of July. Great front desk young man that set the tone for us. Helpful beyond belief. Hotel is old but well maintained. Large rooms. Huge pool area with a restaurant on site. We had a room away from pool area so noise was not a factor. Enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Courtyard Wausau
Courtyard Wausau
#7 of 11 in Wausau
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau

Been to Quality Inn Wausau? Share your experiences!