“AWESOME HOLIDAY WEEKEND!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Bend
Lake Lenwood Beach & Campground
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“AWESOME HOLIDAY WEEKEND!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

After reading the reviews, I was a bit skeptical about going. WOW its was nothing like the negative reviews said. We had a great site on the lake, the owners were extremely nice and I just loved the beach area. I would absolutely come back here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Julie M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've been to Lake Lenwood several times in the past 4 years and each time have had the same experience. Yes, I've read the other reviews, and yes, the owner seems a bit strict on the rules. However, the place is generally spotless, the beach is well-maintained, the picnic area is clean and the lake has clean water. I have been many many other places that have had a looser set of rules and have been annoyed by loud families up until all hours of the night, have had my children overrun by unattended teenagers, and have been annoyed with garbage strewn about public areas. I have 4 children under the age of 9 and we camped with our friends who had 3 small children and who brought their dog. Our children are normal children and made normal amounts of kid noise. The owner was very friendly with us and was even complimentary about how well-behaved they'd been. He never made one comment that made us nervous about the dog. In the past, we've camped here with 2 other families and a total of 11 children and a dog on 3 adjacent sites--again, we had no problems. I have never had a problem with the rules, and I even appreciated them. I had one small instance where I thought the owner was a bit strict about where my car was parked, but we discussed it and it was no big deal. He and his wife were super-friendly to us, and I'm sure it's hard to run a place like this if you don't make the rules the same for everyone!

The playground facilities are what I would call a throw-back and were extremely well-maintained, not rusty or run down at all. My kids had a blast in The Tower, on the merry-go-round and in the big tube. The slide, diving board and water raft provided hours and hours of entertainment for them. We did dig on the beach a bit and were not reprimanded, and we were respectful after and just put the sand back in the hole--respecting the fact that they have just a small staff to care for the entire campground.

I would have liked 15 minutes of shower time personally (or at least 13--I barely made it!), and the water did smell a bit like eggs--pretty common of well-water, from what I remember. The shower/bathroom area could have used a bit better ventilation, but given the fact that this was camping, I was not looking for luxury!

My family and my friends decided we'd definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you are camping in a tent and not a camper with its own bathroom, ask for a site closer to the ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank jendorf
Germantown
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Brought my 5 yr old here for our first camping trip father/son style and it could not have been worse!!the showers were disgusting wifi worked never and the owner was an a hole sorry but he was!!rude to my 5 yr old was rude to my wife who came to visit one afternoon was SCARY strict and he ripped me off $300 bucks!!!im calling the bbb in the morning too!!!HORRIBLE!!!

• Stayed June 2013
7 Thank Jdog127

Travellers are raving about these West Bend hotels

Hartland, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The campground is, honestly, very nice and clean (except the showers smelled like rotten eggs, do not use the showers, yuck!), and super quiet...too quiet! We camped there a couple of years ago and were informed when we checked in that our 3 kids were not allowed to make noise that could bother the neighbors. We were also told that if our dog even barked once, we would be asked to leave. Mind you, our dog is not a barker, but that instantly put us into paranoid mode. We took the kids to the park (which is extremely outdated, looked very rusty and ready to fall apart), and I stood on the road with the dog on her leash. The dog stepped onto the edge of the grass to lay down and we instantly heard a VERY LOUD voice come over the speaker and yell NO DOGS ON THE PLAYGROUND! The playground isn't even within reasonable viewing distance of the office, so it kind of creeped us out that they perhaps had closed-circuit all over the place?? Later in the day, we took the kids down to the beach area, which is very nice, very clean. There was a toddler sitting on the beach with his parents and he started to dig in the sand and fill up his bucket. Again, the loud speaker boomed NO DIGGING IN THE SAND!! Seriously...no digging in the sand...and sure enough, there was a sign actually posted that said no digging in the sand...on a beach...full of kids...yeah. Also, several times while we were at the beach, a worker would come by and yell at kids who were making too much noise. The day we were packing up to leave, 2 workers came by as we were packing our stuff (this was well over 2 hours before check-out time), and started raking our campsite out. It really ticked me off because they were literally walking around us, in front of us, just plain in the flippin way so they could rake out the campsite. Very annoying, and they were a little rude about it when I said something about couldn't they wait until we were at least gone?? Please heed the warnings on these reviews...if you have kids or dogs, do not, and I repeat DO NOT go to Lake Lenwood!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank vernondi
Sussex, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We pulled a small pop up here. Our first camping trip ever with our 4 children. It was late in the season. There were a few permanant sites being occupied, but we basically had the whole place to ourself. A few families spread out. In the morning, we had breakfast at a table next to our camper, instead of the table behnd our camper. Without warning, the owner came and told us we were at the wrong table. Mind you, there were no camping neighbors to be found. (He watched all the people there) Also, someone made a mess in the bathrooms, and he assumed it was us. However, there was a family there the night we checked in, who had checked out in the day, and when the owner made his rounds, very angrily he accused it to be us. We dont let our children use the bathrooms unsupervised ever, so believe you me, it wasn't us. I had to verbally put him in his place (with integrity) and tell him shame on him for even thinking my kids would do that. The swimming beach is nice, the playground equipment is dated, but its fun. The old fashioned kind. But I can tell you, there is so much control as to where you walk on the trails, and rules to follow, we won't be going back. We are going camping with our Pastors family, and he has two boys, and he has no desire to go here if you can't play outside and run around.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank September C
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We were in town for the annual geocachers Cache Bash. We chose this property because it had some of the best reviews and was closest to the location of the event that we were attending. The rules are terribly strict and evidently don't apply to everyone. Several people had 2 cars to a site when we were told that we could not park our 2nd vehicle onsite. We were even told how to park the one vehicle that could remain on our site. When I called to reserve we were told we wouldn't have to pay for all 4 children to stay, but when I reserved the site, I had to pay. $68/night is ridiculous for something that hasn't been updated since 1970. The pay shower was horrible: the water smelled like rotten eggs. We will be in town again, but will never stay at this campground. The only thing it has going for it was the location and it was maintained fairly well. Update the facilities if you're going to charge a premium to camp at your facility and don't be so crazy about the rules. You have to sign a piece of paper saying you understand and have read the rules. The owners seem to be control-freaks. After getting home and taking two of the children to the doctor for an illness that was caught while in the campground, we found that the smell from the hot water in the showers was actually from bacteria in the water. We camped here in a Motorhome.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jen A
Iowa
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Lenwood is a very large campground that surrounds a lake with a good-sized recreational beach and playground areas. There were a large number of seasonal campers. Overall, Lenwood's location is good but is not a very well kept or organized campground for the price they charge. W/E/S site cost $41. Lakeside sites were $10 more. Our utilities worked OK as did the WiFi. Our campsite was on a tree'd hillside but a number were located in a lower marshy area by the lake. If this summer had not been the drought of the century, I'm sure the mosquito population would have been quite intimidating. The worst pests while we were there were the biting deer flies that would land on your legs, arms or neck. They were especially bad if you tried to go outside in early morning or where there was no breeze.

There was a small restroom/shower building with one side for men & the other for women. Each consisted of 2 toilets, 1 sink and 1 shower that cost a quarter for 10 minutes of hot water. The windows were always shut so the water heater on the wall made the place feel like a sauna. The water had that rotten egg smell when hydrogen sulfide gas seeps into rural groundwater systems.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in West Bend
Isadora's Bed and Breakfast

Been to Lake Lenwood Beach & Campground? Share your experiences!