“My second review...”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in West Bend
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“My second review...”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I say this from time to time in my reviews.....a review is based on "your " experience. I booked on line as I had stayed here before, its fast and simple and gives best prices along with the best points. I am a Platinum member for Choice hotels and it keeps everything organized for you. I checked in about 10:30 and had my family with this time so I am reviewing thru different eyes. As I had stayed before the best thing you can do is get an upgrade to a suite...they are incredibly large, very clean with comfortable beds. I was checked in by Ron himself and he was very friendly and down to business. If you follow my lead on this you will have a great experience. Yes, outside is dated...wish breakfast was until 10:00...there is no elevator. I will continue to stay there as price and service have been good for me.

Room Tip: Get upgraded suite!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SIOUXFANFOREVER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Boston MA
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I spent two nights here while attending a business event in a nearby town, so I didn't get a chance to try out the (few) amenities available. Room was clean but smelled a bit musty. Outside the room, the place seemed a bit tired, but serviceable. There appeared to be a significant number of full-time residents, as evidenced by people hanging out in the parking lot at night, and empty beer bottles found by the guest entrance in the morning. Staff competence was inconsistent - check-in was quick and painless, but checkout was confused, and consumables in room were not replaced for my second day. WiFi worked well. Breakfast selection was limited, and what appeared to be meat was so unappetizing that I avoided it completely. All in all, the stay was adequate, and would have been perfectly reasonable in the $60-$80 range. But for $120 per night, I expect much better. Will stay elsewhere next time I'm in West Bend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank larry5b6
Wisconsin USA
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I usually don't write reviews of franchise hotels, you know what to expect; unless they are really good or bad - this was the latter. I stay in lots of Choice Hotels properties, generally a fine mid-range choice. The room in this one was OK, nothing really special or upsetting. I had a 2 bed room on the second floor. Front desk service was perfunctory, quick, but not too warm and fuzzy. The worst was the complimentary breakfast. Choice was abysmal. I did not come early or late on the Thursday morning. There was gravy for biscuits, but no biscuits save the English muffins in the rack. Nothing else hot. There was the standard waffle cooker, but it lacked the release spray, removal fork, and the timer was broke. Luckily, I know it needs 2 minutes. There was some mediocre coffee. A slight selection of fruit. And there was no trash can there except a fairly hidden one in the cabinet. The space was too small of serving breakfast (3 tables), but most people probably gave it the once over, moaned, and went elsewhere; so big enough.
Less than you hope for in a Quality Inn & Suites. I will stay elsewhere next time I am nearby.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ashwabay

Travellers are raving about these West Bend hotels

Osceola, Iowa
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I don't even know where to start. I wanted to cancel the reservation before arrival, but due to many different events going on, this was the only hotel available and we were still an hour away from our destination. Upon pulling into the parking lot, we seen through the 2nd floor window that one of the rooms had laundry detergent and other junk up on the ledge of the window and the overall appearance was run down & tired. Women were sitting out on the front sidewalk, just barely away from the door smoking leaving the entryway smelling like smoke. Check in was okay. We were on the second floor, the guest laundry was running non stop every time we walked by with little kids running in and out. Lots of kids screaming and running up and down the hallway until about 10:30 pm. We used the pool, but didn't not stay long. There were creepy men (construction workers? There were several of them) grilling behind the hotel near the pool windows that kept on looking in, my wife was very uncomfortable with the situation. Kids kept pressing their faces up to the pool and staring in. Again, I got the impression that people permanently resided here- think section 8 housing. The rear entrance door was propped open, we kept closing it as was came through, as it could be a security issue.

There was a candy bar wrapper lodged between the headboard and the mattress. The dust ruffles on the box springs needed washed- it was dirty, had food crumbs and hair all over it. One of the beds had a centipede/millipede looking bug crawling around. The bathroom door handle was loose and the floor did not look like it had been swept. The toilet in our room needed attention, it rocked whenever you sat upon it. The tub was old and the grout looked like mold was growing on it.

Breakfast was a joke. Cold, stale biscuits & bread, the waffle mix wasn't properly filled; cheap, off tasting coffee.

At check out, the same person who checked us in was working (the general manager perhaps?). Mentioned the bug that was found in the bed, he just looked at us like we were lying. I told him that we would have left and requested our money back had we have been able to find another hotel in the area. If we had known the area, we would have rather slept in our car. Desk clerk didn't even apologize or attempt to make things right. So very disappointing.

Room Tip: Avoid all together, should only charge $20 a night, poorly kept and probably poorly managed. We didn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark641
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Courteous service, strong Wifi, clean, modern room with great cable channels, microwave, fridge, bath with amenities, plenty of towels and nice strong shower. We used the pool and hot tub, and the continental breakfast was ample. Plus, location is super convenient to a variety of stores and restaurants. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Read the review of the person with poor wifi. We were in room 120 and it was fine.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
West Bend, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. Worst experience ever. My husband and I stayed here for one night (our wedding night), we were charged for two nights and they said it was because they just "assumed" we were in the room for two nights. I made the reservation for one night way back in March as part of a block of rooms I reserved for our wedding. I literally live 5 miles from this place, why would I ever make a reservation for more than one night? I had over 20 people stay in that hotel that weekend. You would think you would be treated nicely and maybe even rewarded for giving a place such great business. Instead I was scammed out of $75.00.
After the manager told me he would never give me my money back, I told the him I was filing a police report and he said "go ahead, call the police, file a report, call your credit card company. I don't care, I'm not giving you your money back." The "extra" day we were charged for, we were in an airplane literally 30,000 miles away from this dump on the way to our honeymoon. When my husband went in there to try and deal with them they told him "had your wife been a little nicer, maybe I would have refunded your money" Are you freaking kidding me??? The manager was extremely rude, mean, wouldn't listen, talked over me, never called me back, and the list goes on. This place is absolutely, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, horrible, dirty, disgusting, gross, terrible, terrible, terrible. I cannot say it enough.
My advice is to spend the extra money and stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites a few miles away. That place is amazing, clean, friendly, not full of hookers, has honest staff members, is accomodating and a wonderful place to stay. Stay far far away from this hole they call the "Quality" Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elle G
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you don't need internet access this is a fine choice. If you do need internet access be prepared for the front desk staff to tell you that "Mondays are busy," "access is better in lobby" or "try turning your computer on then off again. This is my third visit to this property and I've had problems each time. I will not stay here again since sitting in the lobby to work is not my idea of good lodging for business travelers. Don't get me wrong, staff is friendly and seem to want to help. Hopefully the hotel owners will upgrade the internet access.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Jackson
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Hartford
Country Hearth Inn and Suites Lomira

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!