“Worst Dining Experience!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have never had such a bad experience trying to dine out. My husband and I were staying in Fontana and were excited for a nice night out. We read good reviews on this place, and thought we would give it a try. We checked in with the hostess, who told us it would be just a couple minutes, and that we should grab a drink at the bar, and that our buzzer would go off when our table was ready. 30 minutes goes by, and we still haven't been seated. Went to the front and nicely asked how much longer they thought it might be, was told another 5-10 minutes and that we were next on the list. Another 20 minutes goes by, still nothing. Went to the front again, by this time it's storming outside, so all the patio people are coming in, I had to wait 10 minutes before even talking to the hostesses, which they then proceeded to tell me yet again that we were next. While they were telling me this, they wouldn't even give me the time of day, said it in passing and were quite rude. Maybe they were getting tired of hearing from me, but if you give someone a time frame, you need to honor that. By this time we are starting to get really irritated. If it's going to take an hour to get seated, then be upfront and honest, so we can plan. I also understand that a storm ruins some plans and can cause havoc. But you need to be prepared for that, we live in Wisconsin for goodness sake. After waiting over an hour and a half, we finally just left. We wasted so much of our Friday night out, all because the hostess couldn't be honest with us. Also, the bartenders were awful. Took forever to get their attention, and when trying to pay our bill, it took even longer. We will never eat here, and I can guarantee that I will make sure all our friends and family who visit the area (which is very often), will know to not even bother with this restaurant as well.

1  Thank lovetotravel8890
There are newer reviews for Cafe Calamari

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Go-to place in the bay for a good meal. Sit in the lounge or the main dining room, or outside, for the best atmosphere. Back room is a bit noisy. Start with the fried calamari - quite good. If fresh tomatoes are in season, you can't miss with the caprese salad. All pasta dishes are reliable; chicken marsala is a family favorite. I think it's a bit pricey for what you get, but it is a resort-y area and the outside view is always interesting. Reserve on a week-end.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Mid-priced; good food; I had scallops; husband had the pork chop. And they know how to make a Grasshopper.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our waiter was very attentive, almost bordering on the obsequious. The veal and the chicken were very nicely done. And the veggies and garlic mashed potatoes ranked in the top percentile.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We visited the Lake Geneva area again this past week...and had to have dinner again at Cafe Calamari. We were not disappointed. We were dining with friends from the area..and both of our wives were celebrating their birthdays. We couldn't have been more pleased! We had a cozy corner table (inside) with a view toward the lake. Our server was very pleasant, well informed...and couldn't have been nicer. The wine list is excellent...and my Vodka Martini was perfect..and..it is a good sized pour! My wife and I both had the bow tie pasta with chicken and shrimp. The portions were generous and very tasty. It was a very relaxing and enjoyable evening....and we look forward to a return visit. Cafe Calamari is certainly one of the finest restaurants in the Lake Geneva area.