“Worst Hotel Stay I have ever had!”

Best Western Ambassador Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western in Wisconsin Dells from 06/23/11-06/27/11. I have to say this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I take lots of trips and stay in several hotels. My bad experiences started the first night. The room we stayed in was a queen suite and it had a queen size bed and a pull out sleeper sofa. The reason we chose to stay here over another hotel was because they were giving away free Chula Vista waterpark passes with each night of your stay. Our first night there I didn't sleep at all. There were noises coming from the air conditioner so I had to shut it off and sleep without it. It was a very hot and muggy night. You could hear everytime someone in a room around you flushed a toilet or turned on the shower. You could hear every footstep in the hall and above you. I felt like I was staying at a cheap motel. The room was not very clean. There were crumbs and dust in all the corners and stains all over the carpet. After coming back to the room after our first day with housekeeping, an item was missing from the sink area. I did not notice this item until around midnight and immediately contacted the front desk. I have two of these items that I had placed in the exact same spot on the counter and that night one of them was missing. I'm not saying housekeeping stole it because I think that would be redic, however I feel that they bumped it into the garbage while wiping down the sink area. The garbage can was located just below the area where it was placed on the sink. I spoke with the GM the next morning and explained the item was quite expensive and I was angry. She told me she would have maintenance look through the garbage for it and if it wasn't found would submit it to insurance. Needless to say I did not see anyone going through the garbages and my husband and I were in and out of the hotel all day. I adked for an update from the GM and there was no response. I contacted the GM the next morning and was told that they could not find it after searching "all day" for it and I would need to come down to the desk to complete a lost and found form however they were not responsible for lost or stolen items. How they are not responsible I don't know. I have two of these items. One was missing after housekeeping was in my room. The other was in the exact same spot I left the two. The rest of the stay was just the same. Bad nights of sleep due to noise. We had our DND on our door until noon. Came back to our room around 3 and it was not cleaned. Housekeeping was right across the hall and still did not come to our room. I went out and asked if they were going to clean and they said we had a DND on our door. I explained we had taken it off around noon. They apologized and said we "didn't see". Room was not cleaned that day. I just got replacement towels.
I must also add this. Nothing against Chula Vista but the waterpark at Chula does not offer much for adults. It was very busy and my husband and I only went once our entire stay and we didn't go on any rides as there wasn't anything we liked. The indoor waterpark was too packed to even get in the lazy river.
We checked out of the hotel very upset with our stay already determined that we would never go back. When I checked out I still hadn't heard from the GM on what the plans were for my "lost" item. They were going to leave a message for the GM as she was in a meeting.
Later that day I did get a voicemail from the GM saying that my information was submitted to insurance and that they would be contacting me.
I am still waiting to hear from insurance. I did not mention that my item has a replacement cost of $175.00, and it is something that NEEDS to be replaced.
Now the fun stuff:
I just checked my credit card online and I have an additional charge of around $130.00 on my card. When I checked out there was a total of $593.97 on the top of my report and I asked if that was the total charge or if it was in addition to the $128.99 that was charged to hold the room. I was told the total charge was the top amount by the GSM. Well... looking at my card I have 4 charges and have been charged $130.00 more then the $593.97. After seeing this I took a closer look at the charges on my bill and there is a charge of $7.46 each day as an "amenity fee". This fee was never disclosed to me when making my reservation. I would have never booked a stay with this hotel if I had known about these extra fees. There are plenty of hotels/motels in the Dells area that do not have these fees. While I was on hold for nearly 10 minutes with the hotel to discuss these issues I was looking at the website and the website claims to have a $7.00 amenity fee that is charged from memorial day to labor day. I was never told about this fee and they can't expect there guests to look at the website to see this fee. I was also charged a fee more then what the website said.
Completely not satisfied with anything from my stay. The lost/stolen item from my room. the extra charges on my credit card. The hidden fees. The noise and discomfort from my room. You would not expect this from a hotel that your paying over $100 a night in room rates.
I would like to mention the game room was locked the entire time we were there as well. The indoor pool and whirlpool were fine. Nothing special.
I strongly suggest you find a different hotel to stay at while staying in the Dells. There are plenty of other places that are more new/clean that offer discounts or free waterpark passes.
I go to the Dells several times a year and I stay at different places almost every time depending on the free offers. I will never stay at this hotel again or any Best Western for that matter.
Look elsewhere!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank karaserene1985

Reviewed 29 May 2011

I was very happy with this hotel. The location was excellent & we got free wristbands to Chula Vista waterpark. Our room was clean & all in order. The pool was a good temperature & clean (always a plus when you have kids). The hot tub was really hot but nice once I got used to it. I actually met a woman who chose this hotel due to the positive Tripadvisor reviews. She said she had a problem with her tv working and the staff came to her room in 5 mins with a whole new tv. We didn't experience any problems ourselves. Our room was quiet. The beds were comfortable. I would return if I got the right rate again. The wifi worked fine and a Perkins & Wendy's were literally right next door within 40 feet.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank travlin-with-tots
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I preface this review with the disclaimer that my expectations of a value hotel are not high. But I do expect for hairs in the hotel bathroom to be out of sight and a semi-comfortable bed to come as part of the deal. This Best Western location failed the test. The cleaning crew did not even do a sufficient surface level cleaning job of the bathroom and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. This hotel is located slightly outside of the Wisconsin Dells major attractions area. It is close enough to the main strip and conveniently accessible to the highway but it still feels far from everything. Internet speeds were extremely slow. I would not recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank era416
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My family and I stayed here for two nights, along with my parents, in August for leisure. Previously, we had stayed at the Wilderness Resort many, many times, and wanted a different vacation from the usual waterpark scene. We were happily surprised. The hotel itself is somewhat dated, but kept very clean. Our room was spotless and the beds were quite comfortable. We stayed in a family suite which included a microwave & small refrigerator. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were sparkling clean and not overcrowded. Both jacuzzis were nice and the sauna was a treat. The hotel is in a nice location, just a few minutes drive to the downtown area and riverwalk. We enjoyed strolling the riverwalk and shopping at the many tourist shops downtown. The staff was friendly and, if you ask them for a Passport to Savings coupon, they will sign it and then you can take it to the ticket shack next to Pirate's Cove to get tickets at a 25% discount for places that are listed on it. We used this coupon for the Original Duck's tour, Pirate's Cove Miniature Golf, and A Dare Go-Carts. All-in-all it was a very enjoyable stay and I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for an alternative to the huge waterpark resorts. Also, we ate breakfast at Paul Bunyan's across the street the first morning and it was delicious. IHOP also had excellent service & good food just down the street. And, the free wireless internet service worked great!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Chicagogirl65
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Awesome price and value. Great Staff and very nice, Great place to use a base to visit the Dells. The savings and price was awesome and saved enough to go to more attractions.
Great play pool for the little ones.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Robin R
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We were traveling across country and stayed here for one night. Easy freeway access and close to attractions. For $48+ tax, sr. discount, for 2Q N/S, with a micro and fridge, this was a great room for the price! Very roomy, 32" flat screen tv, free wi-fi, comfy bed, very clean, and the towels were of medium size and soft. Nice indoor pool and spa area, it was busy, but we didn't use it. No continental breakfast, but restaurants nearby. Very good value! Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Stopped here by chance on road trip. Staff were pleasant enough. Room was ordinary. Clean but no wow factors. Internet access at hotel was limited and behind the times. Pool was handy for unwinding after a days driving. Ate in the nearby Dennys which was good value. Location very good as just off the freeway and only five minutes away from the attractions on the Dells.