“Amazing room, perfect waterpark for the kids”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #50 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Central Illinois
“Amazing room, perfect waterpark for the kids”
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We booked a 3 bedroom condo at Chula Vista resort for 3 nights in July. There were 4 adults and 5 children in total (8, 6, 6, 4, and 4 years old). We requested early check-in and were lucky enough to have a room available at noon when we arrived (guaranteed check-in is 4:00). Check-in was quick and painless. To get there you go through what appears to be "old town" Wisconsin Dells with lots of little shops and bars.

The 3 bedroom condo is actually 2 units. A 2 bedroom which is huge ~ master bedroom with king bed, fireplace, bathroom; 2nd bedroom with 2 queens; full bath; fireplace, full kitchen, dining, and living room with huge whirlpool tub. The 1 bedroom unit had 2 queens and a pull-out sofa, mini-fridge and sink, full bath.

The main outdoor waterpark had stuff for all ages, a kids water play area, smaller slides and then a few larger slides, mini-golf (cost extra) and a bar that had live music. The indoor area had a handful of larger slides, a water roller coaster, huge kids play area, kiddie pool and lazy river and another bar. The indoors was LOUD, mostly because of the roller coaster.

There was a small wave pool in it's own area with a bar next to it and another kiddie pool with lazy river. For our ages of kids this park worked well for us and kept them all entertained all 4 days we were there without being all spread out across the resort to keep them busy. Bigger kids might get bored quickly on the limited number of slides there. We never waited long for a slide, although the lazy river did get crowded at times.

We also spent an afternoon at Knucklehead's, an indoor amusement park and arcade. Lots of fun!

The condo was awesome and the lifeguards were fantastic.
Perfect size for younger kids, may get boring for older kids.

• Liked — Spacious and clean.
  • Disliked — Elevators were slow at check-out time.
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
normal, il
Reviewed 20 July 2008

WE took a family vacation over thanksgiving in 2006 and we loved it so much we brought our entire extended family back in 2007. The 2 bedroom condo's are great. The water park is great, price is right and the kids loved it. NOt overly crowded!

• Stayed November 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We just returned from our trip. I was starting to worry about booking at this resort after reading negative reviews, but we had a great time. We stayed in the golf villa condo and it was nice. When we checked in I immediately asked for more towels since there were 7 of us. By the time we got back in the car and drove to our room housekeeping was there with an arm full of towels. Then the front desk called 10 minutes later just to make sure we received them. I thought that was pretty impressive considering the size of this resort. The waterpark was great. The kids never got bored. Staff spoke little english, but were always kind and courteous to my kids. We ate at the Market Fresh buffet for dinner, while a little pricey for dinner (21.95) it was fantastic. Several different meats, veggies, fruits.... We also ate breakfast there one morning, and again, great variety, even cereal for the kids! Overall, the experience was great. If the drive was not so long, we would go back again.

• Liked — Fantastic waterpark
  • Disliked — Would have liked to be a closer distance to pool. (We were in villas)
Chicago
Reviewed 14 July 2008

We just stayed in the 2 bedroom condos from for 4 nights starting July 7th. For starters, the people at the front desk were very nice, no line, gave us free passes to attractions and accepted a late coupon for 10% off I found on www.dells.com. The room was awesome. Two bedrooms, hot tub, full kitchen, two fireplaces, three TV's....Someone in another review suggested the kitchen was not stocked enough??? We have about 15 glasses and the same in plates and silverware...Very clean, love the location away from everything, great river walk. The pools are nice, but not as good as Kalahari. The indoor roller coaster is lame but we had fun. The buffet AVOID at all cost. For dinner for 2 adults a 2 year old, 10 year old and 5 year old was 94 dollars. They charge 21 something for adults and that does not include soft drinks!! I left that meal with a bad taste but otherwise the hotel was nice, just dont waste your money and pay 100 dollars for a buffet meal.

Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,400 helpful votes
Reviewed 12 July 2008

We did not stay at this hotel, but used the waterpark. We used the evening pass-which is $19 and can be used from 5-10 PM. This waterpark is awesome. It has several very cool slides to choose from, some slower than others, some have more curves and dips. We were pleased with all of the features, the cleanliness, the layout, the locker room, and all the lifeguards. Gosh, so many of them-but that is a great thing. The lazy river (s) are a bit too slow and boring for our taste. All ages can enjoy this park. Go on a weekday, much slower than a weekend.

• Liked — Beautiful
  • Disliked — Location
2 Thank tymetraveler222
Chicago
Reviewed 10 July 2008

The resort is very nice, however, if it is going to maintain this rating, they must continue to work on room cleanliness. We booked through a private owner a one bedroom condo. Upon arrival, we actually had a Jr. Suite. We were given a discount on our stay based upon this discrepancy. When entering unit 2207, the rugs were HEAVILY STAINED. After seeing various hotel reports on television, the stains made my skin crawl. That night when preparing for bed, I pulled the bed spread back, and there was another very large stain. I pulled the bed spread off the bed and called the front desk. I received the new bed spread the next morning. In the middle of the night, our air conditioner went out. We notified the maintenance staff, who said the unit needed servicing. We were moved to an identical room which was nicely cleaned.(unit 2647) I appreciated the staff's courtesy. This really helped.

We had 2 twelve year olds, and one 15 year old with us who really enjoyed the water slides. The overall waterpark was excellent. The lifeguards were very attentive in the pool areas, but the lifeguards in the indoor waterpark were less attentive.
I only say this because I'm not a swimmer, and after coming down one of the waterslides, my raft ended up on top of my head as I sat at the bottom of the pool. I guess I was a little to adventurous. The lifeguard was immediately relieved after my incident, and I stuck with sitting in the hot tub and wave pool for the remainder of the trip. My family however continued to splish and splash!

The restaurant's buffet was okay. A little over priced for the adults. The waterpark bar areas were great!!! This resort from my tour of the town was the best resort in the area.

I would visit the resort again, however I would book the two bedroom condo instead of the Jr. Suite which is pretty much a typical hotel room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness of the rooms
1 Thank THEGOODTWIN
HOMER GLEN
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We stayed 3 nights the week of June 23. We stayed in the new golf condos. For the price I expected a bit more. My family is long time visitors of this resort - dating back many many years. I remember my own experiences as a child with many activities to join. The Chula TV mentioned some bonfires and other activities but the time was left blank.
The biggest disappointment was the SPA. I booked our appointments 2 weeks in advance and downloaded a price list. When our services were complete and I was paying I noticed a HUGE price increase. At least 30%. I mentioned something to the cashier who said oh we raised our prices about a month ago. Well you should have updated the website because now I felt cheated.
The woman who did my facial spilled aromatherpy oil on my face and it burned like you would not believe. It was her first day on the job so I said nothing.
I have stayed at some very nice resorts with spa services. This is one area they need to improve on or don't tout it on your website.

Stayed June 2008