“My first trip to Wisconsin Dells - Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Palatine, Illinois
“My first trip to Wisconsin Dells - Mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I suppose maybe I overestimated a trip to the Dells. My husband and my first time along with our 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy. I wanted a good value and fun for all of us. We did get a good value and had fun, but a few bumps in the road and just not all its cracked up to be. I feel like we could've gone closer to home and saved a little of money.
Check-in was a breeze. Friendly staff. Found out later, the next day at the waterpark, that we were suppose to get a little white card that we could charge on, that we never received. So ordering a drink at the waterpark turned out embarrassing, when I figured they could scan the wrist band to charge our drinks, but we needed this white card, and we did not have.

Room was musty, but that is expected when people always have wet clothes they are trying to dry at a waterpark resort. However, our fridge wreaked of fish. Whoever stayed before us must've had fishy leftovers and it was horrific. Anything we put in the fridge took on the odor. Every outlet in the room was so loose, in order to plug in our laptop or phones, we had to prop something up against it to keep it plugged in.

Dinner at Howlers the first night, very good and decent service.

Breakfast at buffet was good. However, the fact that juice is not included in the buffet seemed incredibly odd to me. Milk is included, but Orange Juice or Apple Juice is not. The buffet lines were really long and food not hot by the time we got back to the table. But that comes with the territory of buffets. The food was good though and the cooks / chefs did great.

Lunch at Howlers, not a great experience. I ordered a chicken ceasar wrap. The chicken was gray and fatty and looked and tasted like pork or the dark meat of a chicken. It just grossed me out. I sent it back and they took it off the tab, but not with COMPLETE attitude by our server. She told me that since it was grilled, that's why it was gray. I told her, grill marks, I could understand, the meat being gray throughout, I could not understand.

Dinner-I was soooo looking forward to all I heard of the crab legs. But none to be found.

Waterpark - well I have nothing to compare it to except for KeyLime Cove in Gurnee, IL. So those were my expectations. It was a bit different. We had nowhere to set our bags or set up camp. No table, no chair, nothing for any down time if we wanted to get out of the water for a bit. There was no free space in the water. It was VERY crowded, but I get it, it was Spring Break. But I just didn't expect it. We had to put all of our stuff in a locker, so it limited any pics I could take of the kids since my camera was locked up. I just really wish we could've had a table or chair to set our things. The small children's area had a couple of small slides, but that was it. The rest was for bigger kids. The small children's area had great temperature water. That is where I spent most of our time.
The lazy river was too cold for my liking. If it was summer and we were outside with sun to keep us warm, or you wanted to cool off, it would've been great. But the park's temperature and the temp of that water was a bit chilly. If you tried to walk around by all of the spraying water areas, the waterpark itself was cool it you were wet. That spray hit you like a brick wall. Just too chilly.

The arcade was nice. Kid's liked the games. $20 worth of tokens lasted us a good while.

Service in general was not great. Front desk, friendly. Maid service people, friendly. The folks at the buffet entrance, you'd think they were being tortured to work there. Would it kill them to smile and greet? Some servers, not so great. (Buffet and Howlers) You wouldn't know they relied on tips for pay. No smiles, no friendly greetings, no "Good Morning!" with a smile. Just like someone going with the flow. They should be reminded that people spend a lot of hard earned money to stay there and take precious time off of work.
Some servers, wish I had their names, were so friendly.

My little ones are small and we have a lot of Spring Break's ahead of us. I just think I'll try somewhere else next time.

1 Thank Cherie R
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
CherieR,

Thank you for being with us on your recent trip to the Dells and Chula Vista. The feedback you have provided is of value to our team members. I do apologize that you did encounter some staff members that were not as accommodating as they could have been.
Again thank you for being with us and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.

Dan Hoppe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We spent from March 26-28, at Chula Vista. We have been to Chula Vista many times, but this was the first time that we stayed at the regular junior suite rooms in the north tower. We like going to Chula Vista because it is much smaller than the other resorts in Wisconsin Dells. This week was spring break and there were a ton of people there. Some people think it is too crowded during spring break, but what do you expect going during this peak time? I think it is great that so many families did what we did and had a great vacation! The junior suite rooms are starting to get a little run down, but nothing major. Our outlets did not all work. The room was clean and quiet. We had plenty of room for our family and friends. I do prefer the villas and the condos more though. The only complaint I had is that I was told over the phone that we would get a free upgrade to a river view because the internet reservation was down. When we arrived, they did not have any river rooms available unless we wanted to pay an additional $80 a night. I did not think it was worth to pay that much more.

My wife and I have a 3-year old and she had a ball! We will be back again.

Room Tip: After this stay, we stayed in a villa, condo, and a junior suite. The villa and condos are much nic...
1 Thank Jeff L
Jeff L,

So great to have you back with us on your recent Spring Break getaway. We very much appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to being of future service to you.
Thank you for your feedback and we will be sure to keep in touch with you on future promotions.
Have safe travels and a great spring

chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Did last minute booking of a 2 queen bed room, at a great price during spring break. At check-in was warmly greeted. Asked about an upgrade, and was given a beautifully decorated 2 bedroom condo with Jacuzzi, and great river/forest view. My girls-25/15/13/5-were elated! The underground tunnel to arcades and waterpark is a great idea. Kids had a blast! Breakfast buffet had incredible variety and very fresh. Easy check-out. Everyone wanted to stay and come back again, which we plan to. Can't wait to see it during warm weather!

Room Tip: Add on the breakfast buffet at booking for a great value and delicious meal
1 Thank mrsmarti
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
MrsMarti,

Great to have you with us and thank you for selecting Chula Vista Resort. Glad to see that you had great time with your family and made some memories.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Was woke up 3 times by major plumbing issues. Sounded like a jackhammer for 10 seconds each time. Indoor water park is very small and overcrowded. One small bar area and no food available without going outside the pool area. The hotel bar had small tvs that weren't high def you could hardly see the game. For $215 a night, I expected more.

• Stayed March 2014
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
MPD51,

We appreciate you being with us and thank you for the feedback it is most valuable. I do apologize that your stay was not comfortable.
Hopefully you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Loves Park, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Was concerned when reading all the negative reviews after I had booked our 2 Brm condo, but we were very happy with our experience at the hotel. We found the check in to go quickly and smoothly. There was a short line, but they had 5 representatives working. Service was friendly and helpful. We had a problem with the heater/airconditioning in our room that kept the temp at almost 80, which was fine with everyone except me, as I take medicine that makes me sensitive to heat. I went to the front desk to let them know and they called maintenance while I was still there. The maintenance man almost beat me back to my own room. He thought he had fixed it, but it still remained too warm, so he offered to go and try to track down a fan that we could use for the duration of our stay. In a few moments, Frank returned with a fan and it truly made the difference in being comfortable or not for me. Frank is awesome! The room was very clean and in good repair. The king bed that my husband and I slept in was comfy. The waterpark was also clean and in good repair. Kids said the water wasn't too cold and I don't think there was any more chlorine than at any other water park I've been to. We had a nice get away and would stay here again.

Room Tip: I took advice from fellow travelers and requested a scenic view on the 4th floor and a late check ou...
1 Thank Julie L
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Julie L.,

Thank you so much for being with us this past week and we do appreciate the kind words that you expressed for our team members.
Great to see that you a had a memorable time and hopefully we will see you back with us soon.

Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Booked a 2 bedroom condo which was spacious, immaculate and perfect for our family of 6.

The indoor waterpark area is confined to one area and was jam packed with people. The chlorine smell was overpowering. We've been away from the waterpark for several hours now and all I can smell and taste is chlorine. My sinuses are on fire.

At times, the waterpark was standing room only. All chairs taken, no place to even turnaround. Long lines everywhere from the waterpark bar to the buffet to check-in. Granted it was spring break week but there clearly were not enough staff to handle the crowds. Elevators were also slow and packed. Housekeeping used the guest elevators which didnt help.

Overall, the condo was great and our kids (ages 6-9) had fun. The small waterpark size was good for young kids just not very enjoyable for adults.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sunandmartinis
Flyabo,

We appreciate you being with us this past week and thank you for selecting Chula Vista.
I do apologize that there were a couple of issues that you encountered, we do take your comments seriously.
Hopefully you will be able to give us another opportunity in the future to be of service.

Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

This is an all-inclusive package at a great price. The buffet offered just enough variety so we didn't lack for choices. Rooms and property were very nice. Fitness room is just a converted guest room but was adequate for a quick run on the treadmill. Howlers sport bar was the only bar outside of the water park but the staff was friendly and creative. Waterpark was OK but the lazy river was just too cold. For the price it was a great relaxing getaway.

• Stayed March 2014
Askiola,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay. The Great Escape Package is a great value for a quick getaway.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon and I hope that you have a great spring.