“Ehhh”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #54 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a one night stay to celebrate Easter since we had no extended family obligations. We expected more based on the website. The toddler pools we looked forward too was in my opinion not toddler appropriate The slides are for 4 to 5 not 2 and too much spraying water for littles. It was better in the am with less kids. We also had to convince the boy at the counter we had stayed overnight in order to get towels.

Since we have a small child we were disappointed the only "room service" was the pizza. We had expected to order a decent dinner to eat in our suite. The Mexican place is seasonal (boo, I didn't see that online) so we headed for the buffet which while not bad was overpriced, and no price listed until we got the check, at least under 3 was free. Our room was spacious but there was still cable issues going on and we lost signal periodically. The bed was comfy but the decor old and the bathroom grout lines were moldy. I noticed quite a bit of noise but our room was close to the elevator.
The weather wasn't warm enough for outside activities to be up but based on the look of things the volleyball, shuffle board, and water basketball haven't been used n awhile.

Overall the Chula Vista didn't quite live up to the term "resort".

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Jill K
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Jill K.,

Thank you for being with us on your recent getaway. We appreciate your feedback and I am sorry that there were issues during your stay. Hopefully you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future.

Dan Hoppe

Write a ReviewReviews (2,268)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at this resort on a AAU basketball weekend. Booked 8 rooms so the kids can enjoy the Waterpark and adults can have some fun as well. from the first contact with the front desk at check in this resort had the worst service I have ever experienced. The check in person kept the phone to her ear for the entire time. Check in took at least 15 minutes per room and everything was prepaid. I wanted to rip that phone from her ear, was she on hold ordering pizza? Our room smelled, beds in the kids room were soft and sunken, and the bed in the Master looked as if someone had been jumping on the bed. We had broken a bottle on the floor. They sent up service to clean promptly while we went to dinner. When we returned it was cleaned up so we thought. My daughter cut her foot on glass. We forgot our room key the next night so we went to the front desk to get another. well, the same person was holding the same phone to her ear and it took a good 10 minutes to get a key with no others on line. I will never return to this resort.

1  Thank Chris W
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Chris W,

I am so sorry regarding your room condition upon arrival, your feedback is important and was used as a training tool to avoid future incidents.
Thank you for being with us and hopefully we may be of service again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

i have stood @ chula vista before we have been staying at this resort for some years now and this was are 1st time there that we walked away thinking about staying at another resort next time around.. The resort has gone down hill the food @ the buffet use to be very good and it is just really horrible even howlers was bad the rooms are looking run down they are not keeping up with them just very sadden about this stay this time around the area in the lower part of the resort where you can walk through to the arcade and water park was so filthy there was garbage everywhere under the chairs old water bottles crumbs from food and this is where they hold there kids club it feels as if they have new owner ship that just doesn't care.....

KittyKat2014,

Thank you for being with us on your recent journey to the Dells and we appreciate you being with us. I am sorry that there were issues with your stay over spring break and I apologize for those.
The feedback you provided has been given to the appropriate department managers for follow thru.
We hope to see you again and will keep you updated on our progress.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Love this place. We don't stay at the hotel but we love the water park. It has an awesome kitty pool, slides and water roller coaster. It never gets old even though I have been there about 6 times. Will be back!

James K,

Thank you for your feedback on the Los Rios water park glad to see that you had an enjoyable time and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was my first time staying at Chula Vista. My family and I had a wonderful stay. Our room was located in Villa D. The shuttle service to and from the waterpark/restaurants was excellent. We had 8 total in our party. We had enough space in our room. The room was very clean. Housekeeping came everyday and kept us with fresh towels and emptied trash. They asked us each time if there was anything else that we needed. My children abosolutely loved the waterpark. No compliants my way. Upon the day of check out we lost power in our room due to Mother Nature (it had snowed) I called the front desk and asked if we could have an extension and they gladly agreed to let us check out around Noon instead of 10:30 am... I will most definitely be coming back to stay with Chula Vista

1  Thank Micarr M
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

MiCarrM,

So glad you could be with us this past week even during the spring snowfall. It sure brought some great photo opportunities. We appreciate the feedback and especially the comments on our staff.
We hope to see you again soon. Have safe travels

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Well to start I read so many reviews on this place and I shared many of what others had to say. First of all we stayed in the Golf Villas room 2710 a studio. Which didn't look like the pictures online. It was a very nice Villa; we wanted to say in the villas to be away from the huge resort and it has it's own private hot tub (BEST QUALITY). We arrived around 3pm hoping that our villa was ready, it wasn't but they sent us a text about 20minutes later. I did not have to wait long to check it at all which was good. Our room had a nice kitchen two queen beds that were comfortable and a pull out couch. The two TV's in the room were huge tube TV's that DID NOT work. We called maintenance and he came and "fixed" one of the TV's meaning we had about 10 channels that worked. The other TV did not work the whole time we were there. They blamed the cable company but we knew that was untrue. We also had to call for extra pillows and bedding for the pull out couch.The staff over the phone were all friendly. We didn't wait long for bedding. Kitchen had all things you would need except tin foil which we brought. Water park the first night which was a Saturday was fairly busy my husband and 7 year old loved going down water-slides. My 5 year old however didn't want anything to do with much, the water was super warm and there were traces of mold on the floors of the park. The bathrooms were pretty gross. Me and my daughter spent most of our time in the private hotub at our Villas. The next morning Sunday we received a call about the "club" I knew they would do this from other viewers. If you went along to listen and act like you were interested you would receive 200$ in food vouchers for the buffet and Holwers oh and as well as a free breakfast however NOTE : their will be a strange guy joining you for the first free breakfast before the club presentation which was a little award. We went along with the presentation and kindly said we were not interested. So needless to say all the food we did bring to cook ourselves sat there since we had the vouchers. Food at the breakfast buffet was pretty good lots to chose from. Howlers sports bar was flat and ok, we ordered cheese pizza which my kids would not eat because it had burnt black stuff on the bottom from them not cleaning our their ovens properly. Onion Rings which were standard, nachos which were plain and lack flavor, and a roast beef sub sandwich which was so bland and gross my husband took two bites and through it away, the fires are your stand crinkle cut and were somewhat stale. Sorry we are huge foodies so we judge accordanly. The buffalo wings were super but not good reheated. Sunday night water park was not busy at all no lines my son and husband had fun! Monday we had house keeping clean our room for 20$ which they did not charge us for :D PLUS. they did a good job. All housekeeping staff was very nice and friendly. Room always had a musky smell to to it not sure why we believe it was the carpet. Fridge in room kept everything frozen basically. Everything was pretty standard at this resort, nothing special. I would recommend you stay in a GOLF VILLA and go to "the club" offer they will call you about you will have to sit through a 60-90min speech but just nod and smile. Heck they kind of owed us for the two TVs not working and super early check out 10:30. Lifeguards were alert however some carried soda with them and i watch one of them drop one and never clean it up not sure if it was pop or water. In the Luigi place to get drinks and pizza is way over price don't but their drinks they are not strong at all. I witnessed a bartender drop a cup and rinse with water then keep making it.. kinda gross. Don't buy food from there either, you get better food at fast food places. Loved having the shuttles there to bring us to and from when we didn't feel like driving, very cool. Total we paid was 411$ for a 3night 4 day stay there in the studio golf villas. It was worth it but I don't think we will be back. I mean if you're TV's aren't even working and you give no notice or compensation.. that's no resort. Water park was average. Overall we had a great time :D Can't rate on spa too overpriced to even try it as well as chop house. I can get a steak and potatoes anywhere I won't pay 200$ for it sorry. Also never went to dinner buffet due to bad reviews and picky eaters.

Room Tip: Bring you're OWN pillows and extra blankets if you can. Stay in the Golf Villas for easy access...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Cookingmama2525,

We appreciate you being with us on your recent journey to the Dells and Chula Vista. I am sorry that we did not deliver in certain aspects of your stay. The information that you provided is helpful to our managers and supervisors for future training opportunities. During the time period of your stay we were experiencing issues with Charter Communications in reprogramming of individual units.
Hopefully we may be able to be of service again in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We hadn't stay at Chula Vista in many years and had a lot of good memories, so we thought we would go back. Big mistake!! The room was in north tower, a very long walk from the water park. There was hair on the bathroom floor (not ours), cheese or something smeared on the curtains, the side of one of the box spring had a big brown stain on it. I think the bed spreads are the original ones from when they opened. They offered to move us but was late on Friday. The inside water park is very dark at night. They tried to put a lot of water play areas in a very small place.

Stayed: April 2014

Beachy2206,

Thank you for being with us, I do offer my personal apologies for the the housekeeping issues that you encountered during your getaway. The feedback that you supplied has been forwarded to our housekeeping team for followup.
Hopefully you may be able to give us another opportunity in the future to be of service.