“Pretty good”

Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We just completed a night at the Chula Vista resort. We upgraded our junior suite to a family suite with a River view. The room was as expected, not great, but pretty good. I was there for a conference, and we decided to stay as a family. The waterpark was fun although the main attraction slide broken. One great thing,-the lifeguards are very alert and always watching the water. You never saw them distracted. On Saturday night, the hot tub was jampacked and had way too much chlorine. But then again, maybe it needed it. If you get there Sunday morning, the waterpark is much more enjoyable. One thing: they said they would text me when our room was ready, that never happened so we couldn't check in and tell 4 PM. We did not eat at the hotel.

Stayed May 2014
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thomas67_75,

Thank for the feedback that you provided regarding your stay and the compliment on the waterpark staff. We will be sure to keep you updated on future promotion and our progress. Thank you again and have a great summer.

Dan Hoppe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wi
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Just returned from a weekend at Chula Vista, stayed in a 2-BR Condo room 2153. We were up there for a conference and had stayed in a like unit last year during the same conference

Check-in was a breeze and we took advantage of the upgrade to get into the room by Noon since the Golf Outing started reg at 1230PM (more on that later). Plenty of trolleys for moving stuff to the room so that went well. Once in the room we had a few housekeeping issues of a supposed "cleaned" room. One issue turned into 4 over the course of the next 36 hours. NOT the same level of service as observed last year.

That being said, we had a conversation with the Reg Staff (very cordial and responsive) and received a personal call from Customer Service and we worked things out. I was impressed with the quick response by management but unimpressed with whoever handled housekeeping in that room on the morning of April 25th.

Mo's at the Golf Course recently had a fire so they are working out of a temp facility for golf. They have some food and a running bar plus a small Pro Shop area. All things considered I think they are doing a bang up job under tough circumstances. This was very early in the year and a lot of rain the past week but the course was in wonderful shape and the outing we very successful.

Took kids and grandkids to the waterpark. Yes, the towels are small but hey they provide towels. The day we were there it was busy but not swamped so lines for slides were short and repeated runs were easy to do. The "kiddie pool" had a shall we say kid with a small mishap. Staff immediately taped off the area, handled clean-up quickly and made sure everything was good to go before re-opening that section. Efficient and professional response to what I am sure is not a unique incident (would guess if folks followed rules about swim diapers there would be fewer incidents).

Did not go to any of the restaurants since we had a kitchen in the unit, a cocktail event with great apps on Friday (enough quantity and quality to make a meal of it) and a banquet dinner on Saturday night. The banquet food was better than average but wait staff seemed a bit out of sync when they came around 3 times to check on what our entrees were. Found out some of that was because a few servers removed the tickets from tables and when entrees came out the next group did not know who got what. That was resolved but serving was delayed due to the error. Oh yeah, the cherry cheesecake for dessert was very well done

Would we return... Yes. Do I feel the housekeeping issues were isolated, I sure hope so and did management make you feel like a valued customer and appear to have real concern for our problems - YES

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
TravelJunkie146,

We appreciate you and your family being with us on your conference stay and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize for the housekeeping issues that you incurred and these were addressed.
Thank you for being with us and we look forwarded to being of service again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Chila Vista is one of my favorite places to stay while in the Dells. It is clean and the buildings are not very far from each other. We stood in a Golf Villa and the pool building was right across the street so we could were our swimsuits and a shirt (we went in April). The rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff were very friendly. The watermark was clean and not so crowded and the lifeguards were very patient with my 5 yr old. They actually encouraged him and gave him high 5's which made him happy. The food was good and they have different dining experiences. I had a team with me so we did the Buffet but they do have a chop house as well that I want to try next time. I did bring my own pot for cooking and extra towels, shampoo & conditioner. All in all it was a great stay.

Room Tip: I had a Golf View Villa and we had a view of the golf course and we were on the first floor which wa...
Rachel D.,

So great to have you with us and thank you for the wonderful review. Hopefully we will see you again soon, we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.
Have a great summer and safe travels.

Milwaukee
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had a hard time deciding on an overall rating for this place. If I had given it a rating after our first night, it would probably have been 1 star.

Our room was not very clean. I had to wash the tv remote because it was so sticky, and the washcloth I used ended up very black, so gross. The shower curtain was completely ripped, so we had to call housekeeping to replace it. When the woman came up with a replacement, the "new" shower curtain also ripped as she was trying to put it up. So a third attempt had to be made. Maybe Chula Vista should invest in better shower curtains. The room we had advertised having "two televisions!!!" But not really... because the one small TV over the fire place only got three static filled channels. When we called maintenance to take a look, he said there was nothing he could do.

Bring your own shampoo, body wash, and conditioner... They "provide" shampoo and body wash in a dispenser attached to the wall. That just feels cheap, and kind of gross. Also bring your own pillow. They provide tow tiny pillows per bed, but they weren't very comfortable. The bed mattresses were very uncomfortable as well. Overall, the room was pretty terrible. It felt unclean and very outdated.

Can anything save this trip? Let's move on to the water park. The indoor water park is pretty small, so I'm glad we were there in the off season. They have a nice little kids area so I felt comfortable letting my three year old play while I sat on the side of the pool with the baby. But my son's excitement quickly faded when the head life guard told him he couldn't play with the clean, empty plastic cup in the water because.... it might give the other guests the idea that drinks were allowed in the pool. So after ten more minute of cup-free play I was informed "I want to go home now" by my son.

We tried the water park again on the second day and had more success. I brought some lifeguard approved bath toys for the baby, and my son ventured out of the little kids area to the "Mayan temple" with my husband. Those slides are bigger but not too scary for a three year old. Though if your kid doesn't like getting water sprayed and dumped on their head, stay away. That section gets very intense.

So why did I give this place three stars? Well, your experience is really what you make of it. We all had a blast at the indoor water park after the initial bumps in the road. The water park was tons of fun. They have some adrenaline rides for the adults, and some tamer slides for kids that still produce some thrills. I can't imagine this place at high season though... I imagine it would get pretty crowded. So if I came back, I would stay in a different hotel that provides passes to the water park, and go in the off season when there are no lines.

2 Thank Betsy S
BetsyS.,

Great to have you and your family with us and I do apologize for some of the issues you encountered. I was glad to see that you had a great time in the Los Rios waterpark.
Hopefully we will see you again soon and we will be sure to keep you updated.

Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very nice waterpark and hotel. We liked it so much we also bought into the club to get major discounts in the future here and at partnering hotels. Pizza was great at Howler's and the food is ginourmous at Kaminski's.

Room Tip: We had the presidential suite. Very spacious, felt like we were at home. Had a view of the outdoor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nurse2008a
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Nurse2008,

Great to see that you are now a member of the Club, we look forward to being of future service to you and your family. We appreciate your feedback on the most recent stay. Have a great spring and we will be sure to keep you informed.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 April 2014

reserved room day of one night stay- excellent price- one adult 3 teenagers.
beds are rock hard pull out was tough- felt springs through mattress.
TV cable went on and off many times at night.
Kaminski's restaurant - fantastic.
waterpark average

Room Tip: search for good price before booking
444Kidstravel444,

Thank you for being with us on your most recent journey to the Dells and Chula Vista. We appreciate your feedback and I do apologize for the cable interruptions by Charter Communications.
Hopefully we will see you again in the nar future.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This is a good example of how your brand can be damaged by a single individual. We took a family trip here last weekend. The rooms are nice and spacious. Our kids, however, are mainly interested in the water park. I liked the layout of the water park because it offered good variety and different types of slides than you see at most parks.

My 11-year old son and I were in the hot tup warming up a bit when we were approached by a George Michael wanna-be (two diamond earrings, trim beard) who first approached my son telling him he couldn't be in the hot tub. We had been there all day. It was now around 8:30 p.m. and during the course of the day he was in the hot tub both with me and with the older kids. The guard then approached me and gave me the same rap. I pointed to a sign next to the hot tub that clearly stated in big bold print "participants 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult to use the hot tub" - very clear. The guard responds in a snotty, self righteous voice "we changed that rule".

I then explained to him that there could be no reasonable expectation to enforce a rule that is in direct conflict with the posted signage and explained that my son had been in the hot tub all day. It's a little like putting up a sign that your child has to be a certain height then disappointing the child by saying "no, we changed that - you can't go on this slide". The guard asked if I'd like to speak to a supervisor and I said yes. At that point the guard continuously blew his whistle and waved his arm as if someone were drowning. This embarrassed my child and pretty much ruined the rest of his night at the park.

When you go to a place like this it's for your kids. It's not like a waterpark is my first choice to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Yet, this simple brand premise - that the customer's satisfaction is everything is not understood by this place.

Avoid this place and head over to Great Wolf, Kalahari or Wilderness where you'll be treated the way a guest should be treated, not like a child being scolded.

7 Thank clayewi
Clayewi,

I appreciate your feedback and offer my personal apology to you and your family. The comments you provided has been used as a training tool.
Hopefully you may be able to see fit to visit us again in the future.
Have safe travels,