“Beautiful location surrounded by forest”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #53 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were traveling from North Carolina over Spring break and staying with family in Wisconsin. My son wanted to go to a water park but none of the water parks on the main strip in Wisconsin Dells were offering day passes at that time. We found Chula Vista via internet search. We were impressed!
Chula Vista is a short distance off the beaten track away from the other water parks in Wisconsin Dells. The forest surroundings are *very* scenic at Chula Vista. My son had a fun time all day long at their water park. The adults in our party who were just watching/reading did not have to pay an admission fee. There is a small restaurant serving burgers, etc. there at the water park. There are more expensive food options in the hotel. One of the restaurants in the hotel has wall-to-wall windows with a beautiful view of the forest.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

KPTRS,

Great to have you with us on your most recent journey thru Wisconsin and the Dells. We very much appreciate that you selected Chula Vista and glad to see you had a memorable time.
Have safe travels and great summer.

There are newer reviews for Chula Vista Resort

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at the ressort for 2 nights. Very big hotel. Main raison for stay was for a golf outing at the Canyon. Golf course located beside golf course. Very good service and friendly people. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

2010 Townshipper,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay, hopefully you had a good golf game the course is in great condition.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon, have a great summer

Reviewed 7 June 2014

First, let me say in addition to Chula Vista, I've stayed at The Kalahari and The Wilderness Resort. After our first few stays we fell in love with Chula Vista. So much so, we became Club Members. What The Club is, is basically a discount program with additional benefits around the country. We paid to be members for 30 years and we stay here 4-5 times a year. We almost always get the 2 or 3 BR condos. The few times we deviated from the condos, we got to our rooms only to find them in poor condition and ended up "upgrading" to the condos. However, in the last year or two, it seems the condos and standards are starting to deteriorate. The list of things wrong with our condos in just the last 3 trips is long. Nothing absolutely disgusting, but just a lot of little things that add up. Some stuff we try to ignore but if housekeeping didn't notice some of these things or if the same issue occurs on different stays in different rooms, what else are they ignoring? Furniture with a tear here or a tear there. A stain here and a stain there. Stains in the carpet. Broken sliding patio doors. Broken fixtures with no spare parts readily available resulting in us moving to a lesser room. A light bulb burnt out here and there. Filthy air intakes. A 3/4 empty Gatorade bottle on the night stand when we first entered the room. A half used sucker on the coffee table. This latest stay there was a hardened white substance all over the sink. Now, it turned out to be a type of cleaner, but if the housekeepers missed that, what else did they miss? The manager on duty (Sara) was very nice and came to inspect and agreed it was gross and unacceptable. She had housekeeping come and clean it relatively quick. The next day, we never had housekeeping come at all. We understand for multiple night stays, they usually only empty the garbage, provide clean towels and replenish misc items (toilet paper, soap, etc) on a daily basis, but we didn't have ANY service. No clean towels, no emptying of garbage...nothing. Another issue we had is it seems no one enforces the posted rules. The resort shouldn't post rules if they are not willing to enforce them.
Case in point. The posted rule is the hot springs is for spa guests until 3pm but one time a bachelor party invaded the hot springs and another time a group of people who were loaded brought their glass liquor bottles and soda bottles into the hot springs. The first time I notified the spa employees but nothing was done. The 2nd time I just referenced the posted rules and they said they needed to sleep anyhow because they were up all night partying. Did I mention it was 10am? Lol. For the most part, each time we bring an issue to the attention of management they usually address it and try to appease us, but I really would just prefer to have a stress free stay with no issues. The wireless internet signal is horrendous. For me, this is critical as I could do work while my family enjoys the watermark. But since the internet signal is so bad, we pretty much only come on a weekend because I try not to do work on weekends. The waterparks are decent however they recently started partnering (or at least it's more promoted now) with some of the area campgrounds and/or "dumpier" hotels in the Dells to allow use of the waterparks. This is a big problem for a few reasons. First, the water parks aren't huge to begin with. By allowing all these additional people "free" access, it makes the waterparks much more crowded. Second, the people that stay at the campgrounds and dumpier hotels seem to be much more inconsiderate and disrespectful of the property. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of inconsiderate and disrespectful people staying at Chula, but the type of person staying at the off site locations are of a different nature. Third, these additional people make a bad parking situation that much worse. Chula guests should have access to the better/more convenient parking areas before any off site people. I would argue Club members should get prime locations but I digress. The managers we have dealt with, for the most part, have been understanding and hospitable but I feel we shouldn't have to deal with them at all unless it is to rave about our experience. And I would if it was warranted. We have felt we were stuck going to Chula Vista when we come to the Dells since we paid for The Club membership. Maybe I am a sucker and that was their intent all along. I don't want to believe that. We are considering just saying "screw it" and going to one of the other big resorts when we visit the Dells. If someone were to ask me if they should join The Club, I would probably tell them no. If someone asked me should they stay at Chula Vista, right now I would tell them to stay at one of the other large resorts and only come to Chula to eat at Kaminskis. And that pains me to say....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank schamk
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I've stayed here many times over the years, always for business trips and conferences. The hotel hasn't changed at all (it's starting to look like it could use a renovation). Rooms are large, and fairly comfortable. Provided toiletries are bare minimum: wall-mounted dispensers of shampoo/conditioner and soap. The rooms that have a view/balcony overlooking the Wisconsin River are the best, in my opinion.

I've eaten the breakfast buffet and had a sandwich at the sports bar a few times. I much prefer the buffet (although you'll pay more to eat that way). The steakhouse upstairs seems pretty overpriced for the Dells, but I haven't tried it.

If you're going to see all of the Dells attractions, it's about a 5-10 minute drive. I briefly visited the waterpark here once, and it seems fine. There's a golf course on the property.

I'm not a fan of their policy of making you pay at least one night in advance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Liz G,,

Thank you for being with us over the years and we do appreciate your feedback. We will be conducting upgrades to the hotel rooms this fall and we will be sure to keep you updated on the progress.
Hopefully we will see you on a personal basis in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at Chula Vista for 2 nights, the first week of June. The resort was fairly busy, and everything was great. We stayed in a King 2BR condo and 8 of us were very comfortable. Our group consisted of 8 kids, 5 and under, and 3 adults. The room was very comfortable, clean and quite. I would suggest making room-service available to condo guests, as an up-sell. Also, on-demand movies would be a nice feature to add. The kids loved the indoor and outdoor pools and dinner at the Kaminski Chop-House was amazing. We enjoyed surf and turf and the menu has HUGE sharing portions of sides and salad made at the table. The highlight were the strolling violin-player, INCREDIBLE dirty martini and a dessert called "Candy Mountain" that included 10 scoops of ice cream with a ton of toppings. We got the toppings on the side, so everyone could make their own sundae. The kids have never been so well-behaved over a late dinner! The location is a true asset, not being on the highway. For me, having quiet and not hearing semi-trucks roaring past, is a big deal and makes t feel much-more resort-like. They look out to the river, and have a wave pool in the back of the property that is right next to a really good Mexican restaurant. I would recommend this resort, for couples, families or a friend's get-away, they also have golf and a spa,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SuperMOMoftravel
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

SuperMOMof travel,

So great to have you with us and thank you for the wonderful review of your stay. It apppears you were able to take advantage of all the wonderful options we have for dining.
We appreciate you being with us and hope to see you again soon. Have a wonderful summer.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in condo area in a queen suite. Two queen needs one queen sofa bed.
Small fridge and microwave. Tv good with HD digital channels. But we only had tv on for news.

WiFi free and fast. Good speed.

Included water park which we enjoyed.

Food limited but available.

Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

WarrenC,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay we appreciate you being with us.
Glad to see that the condo accommodations worked well for you. I do hope you have a wonderful summer and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Halfway between Minneapolis and Chicago, this was a perfect meeting place for a girls weekend away. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. The grounds and the facilities were all kept neat and clean.
We ate at all of the restaurants at the resort and enjoyed each and every one of them. Especially, Kaminski Brother's Chop House. The food there was fabulous!! We will definitely visit Chula Vista Resort again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

LindaH,

Thank you for selecting us for your "Girls Getaway" and so glad to see that you and your friends had a memorable time. The resort is ideal for getaways as you just experienced. Hopefully we may see you all again sometime in the near future and we will be sure to keep you updated on our progress.