“Good service, good food. They have paletas!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Colotlan Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #107 of 184 Restaurants in Wisconsin Dells
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Good service, good food. They have paletas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Appears to be a family owned and operated place. Food was good, but not incredible. It was fun to support the he small family run place. They had paletas which I haven't had since a was a kid and would go across the border into Mexico for lunch. Slightly pricey.

• Visited May 2014

“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We decided to try this place after seeing all of the great reviews on Trip Advisor. It was a little intimidating entering the place. We were the only customers, and there are only a few tables. Despite the appearance, we stayed and ate. The food was good, but a bit expensive. Dinner for 2 people was $30, and we only drank water. This isn't your hip-Mexican restaurant that serves giant margaritas and has people packing the place every night. So don't come here expecting that, otherwise you will be disappointed.

Visited May 2014
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Worth a Try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I thought my taco plate was good. I do not like a lot of spice though or my food too hot. The salsa could use some fresh cut tomatoes in it. I thought it was a little too pricey though, even for the dells. If it was a choice between here and taco bell, I would probably go to taco bell next time. The booths are also very small and things get crowded real fast if you have 4 people with food all sitting at a table.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Yes It's Mexican not a "Wanna Be Mexican" Rest.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

First time visit with my family and it was awesome. My daughter was eager to eat authentic mexican food after finishing a program at Madison WI, University where they didn't have authentic mexican food so we tried Colotlan. Best choice ever, service was excellent, Carlos was courteous, amicable and attentive. Food was great! Taste was just what we were looking for and my daughter craving for after 2 months. Great tortillas, steak tacos the best! Tongue tacos OMG awesome!!!! Salsa was spicy, just like authentic mexican salsa should be.... sorry for those that didn't like the salsa but like I said it's not a "wanna be mexican rest." Cozy and family like atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Maria H
Wheaton, Illinois
“Nice Small Place Need Better Menu and Flavor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We ate here on the past weekend, we had found nothing appealing and we were tired of the hamburger and Pizza Restaurants. Carlos the owner/cook introduce himself and was very pleasant. We were offered salsa and chips as soon as we were seated. The salsa was watery, spicy and a little bland but that is sometimes the way it goes. The horchata was great but a little expensive at $2.00 glass and no free refills. We ordered different things from the menu and were satisfied, not completely happy. Their prices, like anything in Wisconsin Dells, are a little high for the food they offer. I think that a business downtown pays a lot of taxes in this town and that becomes their death sentence because not many manage to stay afloat.
I would not say they are absolutely the best Mexican restaurant but they are trying to be better. Maybe one thing that hurts this place is that their menu is limited and they are trying to appeal to the American consumer that never has had real Mexican food. That is to say that, Carlos with his fare and menu, is trying to please a section of American consumers that likes bland foods with lots of cheese and nothing outside of their comfort zone.

I wanted to Order the Tacos the Lengua But Carlos told me that nobody order them so he took them off the menu. So I ended up with Chicken tacos dinner, tasty meat but nothing spectacular, I had to enhance the beans with salsa, salt and pepper. I think Carlos forgot that onions and Garlic are a favorite condiment in Mexico. My son ordered the Burrito with Picadillo and it was rather juicy/greasy. Again, due to they way people ask for them in this are or so I was told by the waitress. My daughter ordered the Quesadilla Dinner and she liked the tortillas filled with cheese but the beans did not have much flavor, no red sauce over the quesadillas like in is the custom, no avocados. My wife had the tostada con Pollo and love the meat and the seasoning. All in all the food that we ordered is not hard to make so I was surprised that the taste was so bland. Carlos appears to be worried that if he puts too much flavor or real Mexican foods in the menu people will not want it and he will loose his business. But charging a lot of money for simple plates that cost less than half in our area is not way to survive either. I hope Carlos enhances his menu and offers new things that will appeal to the palate of the Wisconsin Dells visitors. Our experience was adequate but with a limited menu this is not a great place yet. I hope the restaurant improves and stops limiting its flavors.

Visited October 2013