“Good times”

Spring Brook
Villa Park, Illinois
“Good times”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We had a total of 8 people on this particular outting, and we all said the house we chose was perfect. The house we stayed in was of course large. The master bedroom was very nice with an up to date bathroom w/ a jacuzzi. The whole house was clean, and was supplied with towels and kitchen utensils and cookware. There was a firepit outside as well as a fireplace inside, which was perfect being that we stayed during the winter. The rental office had a heated pool as well as a regualr pool which was nice. All in all, good times

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed here for my husband's family vacation, which includes over 30 people, and had two houses. I have read many bad reviews on this place, but none of us had the bad experience that everyone else seemed to have. The houses were nice, not luxurious or fancy, but definitely nice and clean. The main lodge had a nice pool that the kids loved to swim in. Spring Brook is very close to the Dells. It took only minutes to be downtown or get anywhere you wanted to go. We had a good time here and would consider staying here again if we ever were in the Dells (but I doubt we will be!).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank luckymuf06
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay at 131 Sugar Maple. First of all, the main reason we decided to rent from Spring Brook was because we wanted to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the Dells and we wanted to have the ability to cook our own food instead of going out to eat for every meal. If that happens to be your plan, be prepared to have a minimally, and I do mean minimally, stocked kitchen. We received a confirmation call advising the kitchen was fully stocked except for coffee, filters, sugar, spices and things of that nature, which was totally understandable. I planned to take my own blender and my steamer as I use them on an almost daily basis and I am very glad I did. Well, imagine our surprise on in the morning when we started to make breakfast when we found only one frying pan (in very bad condition), one knife (which happened to be a butcher knife), no vegetable peeler, and child-sized silverware (luckily I had packed some plastic silverware). We were able to make do; however, it made it rather difficult to cook. We actually had to make a trip to Wal-Mart to purchase vegetable peeler (I know a small item but I could have brought my own had I known). One would think that a fully stocked kitchen would contain more than a worn out frying pan, one sauce pan, and one butcher knife. Really? An inexpensive knife set and an inexpensive set of pans would be nice. We also discovered after a full day that the refrigerator was not working properly and most of our food was frozen.

In addition, we weren't able to open the sliding door because the screen door had a huge tear and we didn't want a house full of flies. The decor was extremely dated, the carpet was filthy (and when I mentioned it upon checkout, the person behind the desk said well, we clean the carpets in the spring and the fall and with the number of renters, they are bound to get dirty in between). It wasn't just dirty, it was stained and it was obvious it had been that way for quite some time. The couch in the living room was an old futon which was extremely uncomfortable to sit on. The bathroom was tiny, which wasn't a problem. However, the shower, well let's just say it's a good thing my husband and I are not tall. The faucet in the shower barely moved, and we ended up taking lukewarm or cold showers. The shower doors were almost impossible to open and close and the track was very loose.

The outside of the home was not kept up well either. There were huge weeds (some almost as tall as I am) in the front yard and the landscaping was totally overgrown and unkept. Not a great first impression.

As far as golfing was concerned, they advertise unlimited golf. My husband found out the hard way that this is another area where their advertising is misleading. He golfed in the late afternoon and was told they lock up the pro shop at 6:30 and close the course. That's hardly unlimited golf. In fact the person in the pro shop was actually quite rude to him.

We will not stay at Spring Brook again.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the smaller homes.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary P
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We traveled to Spring Brook July 27th for a weekend to meet friends from MN. We came from a city only 2 hours away. We liked the idea of renting a house in a quieter setting with a smaller pool for four children. We arrived Friday at the home 'Backwoods Retreat'. It was anything but a retreat. The highway was a stones throw away with constant traffic noise. We were greeted with a musty smell of wet dog and a dead mouse outside the house. The exterior was not maintained. The inside was old which we were aware from choosing this house on-line. However, old and dirty is not acceptable. The shower floor was black, the furniture was stained and the kitchen table had a visible bolt trying to hold the halves together. The counter top on the bar area would have broken if a heavy person leaned too hard. The towels were like sandpaper and the bar of soap supplied was the size of a piece of gum. The worst was the furry gray visitor scooting across the kitchen floor during dinner. There were mouse poison and ant traps strategically placed around the kitchen...such a welcoming feeling when cooking for your friends and family. We immediately called the front desk and spoke with Ashely. She was going to send maintenance over with mouse traps. This was unacceptable as we did want to sleep in the house with a mouse. Ashely was trying to accommodate but did mention that she was not really scheduled to work so the office was not open until 10pm as stated on the sign. Sorry, she was obligated to help 8 people find accommodations for Friday night! She seemed very tired and lacked enthusiasm. We ended up moving to Cozy Creek at 10:30pm in the evening but were told we had to vacate at 10am because other guests for a wedding were arriving on Sat am. We had the option of moving for a THIRD time on Sat to another old house that only slept 6. We had 8 people total. The Cozy Creek was a much better upgrade of a prefab house but the black hairs in the master bed was almost too much to bear after the mouse ordeal!!! Since we really had no place to move on Saturday evening (except a 6 person old house) we chose to leave on Saturday, less than 24 hours after arriving. Jennifer helped us check out Saturday am but was a bit rude and kept referring back to a 'manager' which we never saw. We ended up having all our money refunded but would have gladly paid to spend a nice weekend with friends!! Overall, the weekend was a huge disappointment. We moved around several times and were exhausted!! We all had tons of cold food that needed refrigeration so we said our goodbyes and vowed never to visit Spring-Brook again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank anns771
Wauconda, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We rented a house in this resort from 7/22-7/27. Internet special at the resort promised four free water park tickets for staying four nights during the week. When we checked in the office girl 1 said we had to mention it when we made the reservation to get the special. I explained i made the reservation on-line and it didnt have anywhere to do that. Girl 2 said we should have mentioned it when they called to confirm the reservation. I explained that no one called to confirm the reservation. Girl 2 explained it is their policy to call and confirm all reservations. I said that is great that you have that policy but no one called me. Girl 3 then gets off the phone and explains we had to mention it on the phone. I again explained we made the reservation over the internet and didnt talk to anyone. She explains the policy again and tells me the homeowner has to pay for the tickets thats why you have to mention it when you make the reservation. "Since i made the reservation over the internet how could i mention it?" She then looks on the computer and says jenny called you on june blah at blah at your home number. I said well since that is a work day and you just recited my home number you must have talked to my dog. She gives me the tickets and girl 1 and girl 2 are still continuing that jenny always calls because its our policy. I said "look why are we still having this discussion i have the tickets in my hand?"

Reason number two to never rent from spring brook resort: on check in we received four drink coupons (buy one get one free drinks) for the bar by the pool. Our last afternoon before leaving we decided to use them. My husband and his friend use two of the coupons for the first round. They went back for another round later and a guy pulls them aside and said they had a video tape of us stealing a stack of drink coupons.

We went into the office and the manager said it was a misunderstanding and there is no video tape and apologized. That is NO way to treat people. Horribly managed property. I have posted a complaint to the BBB.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 3 July 2012

First off we were greeted by a grumpy old man. He did not make us feel welcome in the least. He took my name into the computer. When I told him about our coupon he said thats not accepted before 1, even though this coupon didn't say that on it. We took a minute to decide if we wanted to wait the 90 minutes. We thought that would still fit in our schedule so we said after 1 is fine. He slammed his keys erasing my name from his computer and told us we had to come back to register. I would not go back to the course because of this solely, but in addition the course was in terrible shape. It had roped off areas all of the fareways which appeared to be to help grow the grass. The course looked like an openning weekend course in April with patchy grass everywhere. The course itself is designed fine, though not very challenging. It also had some wildlife running around which was fun to see. All in all I would never come back to this place or recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We had a reunion here in August and we absolutely LOVED it!

Cabin
We booked the Red Oak Lodge (229 Badger CT), which was supposed to sleep 14 people max. We had 19 and still had plenty of room to spare. The rooms were spacious and clean. The furnishings were all updated and very classy. We were definitely "wowed" when we walked in! If you need cable, wifi, etc., this cabin has it.

Amenities
There's an indoor and outdoor pool, pool bar, and a bar/restaurant area. The property is also a very short drive to local amenities like convenience stores, wal mart, restaurants and bars.

Activities
You're right there in the Dells, so there's no shortage of activities! Spring Brook is great about providing a ton of information to vacationers.

Again, we had a really great time here and would definitely consider staying there again. We had no problems at all with management. Check-in/out was a breeze!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends