“Do Not Bring Your Kids”

Bowman's Oak Hill Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We booked two cabins here for 3 nights, for 2 adults and 4 children. I spoke with the proprietress ahead of time to ensure that they were family-friendly, and she assured me that they often accommodated children and it was no problem. However, from the moment of our arrival we sensed that we were not welcome. We were told not to allow the children outside except in a designated field near the highway. During our initial tour every one of our children was told it to touch things, not to sit on the furniture, etc. our youngest son was grabbed and pulled off of a couch. We tried to keep things smooth, watching the kids far more closely than usual, but the owners spied from their window and admonished our children as soon as they walked between cabins the first evening. I was sorry to leave the property, which was pretty, with a great claw foot tub on a deck (and yes, my son did exit the trailer to speak to me out there), but there was no way that we could coexist with these people for 3 days. We left the next morning, feeling that they had badly misrepresented themselves as "family-friendly". They were adamant that our unruly children were the problem, but honestly the problem began the second we exited our vehicle, and while our kids are normally quite energetic we tiptoed around this place to no avail.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank carlamilo13
Nancy B, Owner at Bowman's Oak Hill Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your Valentin's Day review of your August 2013 stay with us. As in all situations involving more than one person there may be different memories of any given occasion.
When you arrived from your several hour drive from Canada it became obvious to us that the 4 children needed something to spend their pent up energy on thus we offered a safe place and ball so that they could get some exercise. The offer was not accepted. At that time we did request that your children be under your supervision at all times.
Upon entering the cottage when one of the boys began jumping on the sofa it seemed wise at the time to assist him in getting off so that he didn't fall off and hurt himself. I am so sorry you were offended no offense was intended.
No looking out windows was necessary at 12:00 AM to be aware of what was going on out there. We as well as the other guests in the neighboring cottage were woke up by the sound of loud voices and running on the decks. Three of the children were outside unsupervised having a great time playing chase. We didn't feel it was unreasonable to ask that you keep the children inside. Again there was no intent to offend. We did have other guests to consider.
After a discussion the next morning and being threatened with a review like this we agreed to refund 2 nights of your three night stay. Which we did!
We do welcome well behaved children and have had some delightful experiences in the past. With children under the age of 12 we offer breakfast served on the cottages, however in your case we offered a setting for the 6 of you under the cabana on our large deck. Even though the table was set and breakfast was prepared you chose to leave without eating.
Life is full of lessons to be learned every day. Thank you for being our teachers in this situation. We learned a lot. We would love to have you back another time for a romantic couple weekend. Happy belated Valentines day!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Our stay was WONDERFUL...my husband and I went for the weekend to get away. We stayed in Gracies Garden Room, it was SO CLEAN. Our bed was comfortable, and the linen where clean and smelled fresh. Nancy and David were out of town for the winter, so Brenda and Jim were there instead. Brenda and Jim are such nice people, and they made my husband and I feel so comfortable. Breakfast really good. Our first day we had, fruit, cinnamon roll, quiche, and scone. I felt so bad because I was SO stuffed that I couldn't eat all of my fruit. Our second day we had, fruit, sausage, english muffins, blueberry muffins, and wild rice and oatmeal bake. Nancy has won awards for her rice and oatmeal recipe. Again, I was stuffed and I couldn't finish my oatmeal. It was a realaxing weekend, and I will be back in the summer!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I stayed one night in the Bowman Cottage on a short getaway from the kids, and we had a wonderful time. The house is beautiful and well maintained. We stayed in one of the cottages, and it was beautiful. Breakfast was wonderful. Because we were in the cottages, they packed us a picnic basket, which was a nice touch! Deer were on the property as well, and it backed up to a creek. My husband and I plan on coming back to the Dells, and we will definitely stay here

Room Tip: We were unable to get WIFI in the Bowman Cottage, so we used our hotspot which worked out.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelArg
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great location, comfortable B&B. We just returned from meeting friends there for Christmas night.
We were warmly greeted at the door, shown to clean comfortable rooms, and enjoyed an evening of visiting in the living room with the Christmas tree and fireplace. Brenda was kind enough to make a cake for us, with cheese and crackers, and coffee. A wonderful place for visiting, and relaxing. Breakfast was absolutely amazing. Wonderful kind hospitality, yet privacy and time to ourselves. Perfect!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our experience at Bowman's Oak Hill was wonderful. Upon driving up, we saw deer in the yard. The driveway takes you to the bed and breakfast as well as the cabins on the property. It is far enough back from the road that everything is quiet. Nancy and David were very accommodating and kind during the stay. Breakfasts were wonderful between Nancy's cooking and the company of the Bowmans as well as the other guests. The view of the sun coming through the changing colors of the leaves in the front yard was a spectacular sight. The bed and breakfast is tucked out of the way of the busy tourist section of the dells, but close enough that it is easy to take in those attractions should you wish. I would not hesitate to stay with my wife or family again or hesitate to recommend Bowman's Oak Hill to anybody.

Room Tip: We stayed in Elmer's Oak view room and were the only guests in the house so I cannot speak to ha...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Bowman's Oak Hill is the place to stay if you're looking to steer clear of the mediocre, crowd-filled, and disruptive. The Bed & Breakfast is conveniently off the highway about a mile and a half from "Broadway" - yet tucked back just enough to offer nothing but peace, quiet and great company.

Bowman's hosts two beautiful, hand-crafted cottages, one Argosy travel trailer carefully restored to beauty, and the main house where you'll find comfort and rest.

We stayed in Gracie's Garden. This room is at the end of the house, complete with it's own jacuzzi, separate shower, toilet and sink. Attention to detail is the best way to characterize this B&B. It's clean, the food is lovingly prepared, served and conversation holds plenty of recommendations for enjoying the surrounding areas to it's fullest.

Ideal for couples, this B&B is your perfect get-away in the Dells.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I just returned home from a weekend in the Dells. This was our first time staying in a B&B, so we were a little nervous. Upon meeting David and Nancy our nervousness melted away. They are some of the most warm, kind, and accommodating people I have met. We stayed in the Garden Cottage. It was FANTASTIC. Very quiet, and spotless. The property is very private and beautiful. David was so helpful. When we arrived he gave us a map of downtown, showed us a shortcut to get to the boardwalk, recommended some great restaurants, and gave us three different coupon cards for tons of dining and attractions. Nancy is a phenomenal cook. Breakfast was wonderful both mornings. Everything was homemade, and fresh ingredients were used from the garden outside. DELICIOUS. They have tons of DVD's you can borrow, and we even had fresh baked cookies in our room. We are hooked. We will be back for our next dells trip.

-Melissa & Adam M.