“Family Fun”

Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Family Fun”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We had so much fun during our one night stay at Great Wolf. We were very impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel. The water park was so much fun and the temperature was great. We enjoyed our dinner at the Loose Moose and our breakfast at Camp Critter. I have certain diet requirements which were accommodated. Kids were very happy with cub club, arcade and lobby activities. We would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We had a cabin room for our kids, 10, 8, 5, 1. It was fun, clean, nice and met our needs. Waterpark was fun. The pizza was like a frozen grocery store brand, terrible and over priced. Service in the bar was lousy. Kids' meal were gross. Fries weren't good. After that meal we went out for all other food. Cracker barrel, Startbucks and Dunkin Donuts were good and normal prices. McD's had tourist prices and was a rip off. Overall fun, enjoyable, memorable but bring your own food.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank puglab
Bayside
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The room was a 2 beroom condo. Very very clean. The room was actually a fairly good deal in comparison to others in the DELLS. Wish the indoor and outdoor parks were open longer. Closing at 9pm for the indoor just doesn't seem right it should be open until 10 or maybe even 11pm on the weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My family of 4 just got back from an 1 night trip to Great Wolf Lodge. I'd heard great things about GWL and when a girlfriend of mine found a Groupon for it, we decided to split it with her and go. It's really not all it's hyped up to be. The marketing pictures on the website make it look bigger and more attractive than it really is. The room was pretty good though. We had a 2-level loft room and slept 7 in it comfortably. Beds were fine and it seemed clean enough. We paid $280 for one night for the room. The kitchenette was too small, tiny fridge, you're not allowed to microwave popcorn in the microwave. Some kind of fire hazard. ??? I don't understand that at all. I would advise bringing food because buying meals there is far too expensive. If you do, remember that they supply nothing with the kitchenette area and you have to bring all cutlery and plates. One hassle with staying only 1 night is that checkout time is 11:00 a.m. Late checkout costs $40 extra and is only until 1:00 pm. Thats $20 an hour for late check out.... pretty steep! If you're doing what we did and arriving the night before, planning to spend the next day in the waterpark and then leave at the end of the day, it means that you have to move all your luggage and food to either your car or the lockers in the Waterpark. We picked out what we needed to change into after the Waterpark and then moved things to the car and did get one locker. The full-sized locker cost $15.00. I'm not joking. My jaw dropped when I saw that. Are you kidding me? With the price of the hotel, they actually charge $15.00 for a locker? That's appalling. My kids wanted to do the wand adventure, but at $18 a wand we said "No way". I think for the price of the rooms, that should be included free. The arcade is noisy and pricey. I used the Ironhorse Fitness Centre for about an hour while the kids were in the waterpark. I have to say it was not deserving of the name "Ironhorse"... it was small, with no free weights, no mats to do floor exercises on... just a few treadmills and elliptical machines. There were a few Nautilaus machines but only for arm exercises, no leg machines. I would have liked to see a stair climber, mats and free weights. Now for the waterpark. It's smaller than it looks in the pictures. My son loved it (he's 8). My daughter was bored (she's 12). The Lazy River water temperature was tepid. For that to be a relaxing experience the water should have been warmer. Also it doesn't go anywhere. When you look at the description on their website you think that it will be longer and more interesting than it is. It's just a small circle that winds around another structure. Also it's too full of empty tubes that no one fishes out. I did like some of the tube slides. Some of them are also appropriate for little ones as well. I took my girlfriends 5 year old with me on them and she enjoyed them. The wave pool wasn't bad, but again, not really that exciting. My husband went on the Vortex and said it made his head hurt for hours afterward. I thought I'd try the hottub after my workout and I was shocked at how cool the water was. This was the family hot tub, but still, it's supposed to be HOT. I think it's reprehensible that you are not allowed to bring your own food into the waterpark and if you want food in there, you are supposed to buy their over priced french fries. Overall, I'm glad I went so that I know what it's like. I'd been hearing such good things about it for so long. I'm just glad though that I did it through a Groupon and for my family of four our expense was only $160 (for the room). That's all it's worth MAX. If you pay a penny more than that, you're being ripped off. Perhaps the people who write such great reviews of it have to convince themselves that spending all that money was worth it. What should they do to improve it? - make the hot tub HOT - include all kid activities, like the wand adventure, in the price -make use of lockers either free, or a nominal charge, like a loonie at most -the lazy river should be much warmer and wind it's way around the entire waterpark with bridges for people to cross over -beef up the fitness centre with weights, mats and a stepper -improve the kitchen facilities in the rooms, bigger counter, some kitchen supplies -make the late checkout free, or cheaper and until at least 4:00 so you can have use of your room while you're using the waterpark Overall, I would recommend going ONLY if you get a Groupon or other deal like we did. Our groupon was for during the week as well, which is why it was cheaper. $40 a head is the absolute MAX this is worth and even then, the only one of the four of us who loved it was my son, so we won't come back ever, not just for one person in the family.. not with the drive (from Toronto) and expense. It's overrated... think about doing something else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Vicky G
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We found the Great Wolf chain while in Niagara. The Dells property is actually the original lodge. Just like Niagara, just older. We had the fireplace suite with a lovely balcony. The place is spotless, from room to water park to restaurants. And the service? Phenomenal. Everyone is friendly, from Linda at the front desk, to John in the grill, to all the ladies in the spa. Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing, everyone was great. And this is an amazing time to visit, beautiful Fall weather, gorgeous trees, so lovely.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Beloit, Wisconsin, Usa
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We've been to Great Wolf in the Dells several times on family vacations. It is a LARGE hotel with an attached water park with different areas and features. Very easy to get to, right off the highway.

The best:

Rooms. We always had a medium-large suite, with two queen beds and a king with a living room area, a table, and a kitchen. It's a nice, open layout which accommodates four or five very nicely. New and nice. Always clean and room service was in and out and we never saw them. Excellent job.

Activities. There is plenty to keep young ones occupied on the grounds, from a coloring den where they can make their own shirts and crafts to Magic Quest (former Wiley's Woods) to the water park to a build-a-bear-like station to tours to story time in the lobby.

Restaurants. You don't really need to go out of the place if you have the money to pay for dining. Sometimes we ate at the restaurants there, sometimes we cooked and ate in our rooms. Certainly the latter option is more cost effective.

Worst:

Layout. I know that we're always in the running for fattest nation on Earth, and exercise is a good thing when done properly, but after your second day going to a water park with your kids, that ten minute walk (on your vacation!) to the water park and back to the rooms gets pretty old. Why no one thought of putting the water park and pool in the middle of the place and making all wings equidistant is beyond me. Engineers, I suppose. Such large wings also guarantee that kids will be running down the halls at all times. Once we stayed on the same weekend as a middle school hockey conference. Good thing the suites have an extra room out front as sound cushioning. I can't imagine being in a room without when all those kids are running around. We weren't by the highway, at least, which can also be very noisy.

Expense. It is a very expensive stay, comparatively. A cheaper hotel (without the same size and cost and noise concerns) and a trip or two or three to Noah's Ark water park may be better use of your money. Book any vacation carefully.

In sum, for a family with young kids, it's a great place to stay a few times if you can afford it. At least it was for us.

Room Tip: Book carefully (a nice suite for the amount of people) and away from the highway and as close to the...