“Fun at the water park”

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Fun at the water park”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

There was 5 in our party and we stayed in the condo section - which was a long walk to the water park. This fit our needs fine - we had 2 double beds and a couch behind a partial wall. Not really what I would call a condo. The staff was very helpful, efficient and friendly. I have been to other Great Wolf Lodges and had to wait a very long time to check in - I guess they have finally gotten more efficient with checkin. Girls enjoyed the waterpark. The hotel has restaurants, bars and grill plus many other things that we did not take advantage of. I was pleased with accommodations. We had to pay extra for water park pass for the 5th person.
Note - on Wisconsin Dells - Traffic was terrible in some areas. I don't think I would go back to the area because there were way too many people and weird attractions (as well as good one)

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk a long distance - ask for a room not too far from water park.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have never traveled to the Dells before, so I did not know much about the area or the differences between the hotels. I wanted a resort with an onsite waterpark so I booked this resort. Being a Disney addict, it is very difficult to go anywhere without comparing it to Disney quality, so I was happily surprised that it was as nice as it was. Check in was very easy and I thought the wolf ears was a cute touch. I appreciated the fact that I was given the option to wait a few minutes for an upper level room. We chose the family suite with 2 queen beds. The room was spacious and I liked that the sink was outside of the bathroom. That made it easier for more people to get ready faster. Like a previous reviewer, the bathroom itself was quite small. My concerns was that the a/c was extremely loud and it went on and off all night depending on the temperature of the room. The people who were sleeping on the pullout sofa were freezing because the a/c unit was a wall unit that blew directly on them. There were also multiple outlets that were not working.
Housekeeping did a marginal job. The beds were not made up as well as they could be and she didn't vacuum, even though there was obvious crumbs on the floor. We also only received 1 shampoo and 1 body wash for 6 people for 3 days I feel for the price we paid, the hotel should provide a better assortment of products, including lotion or aloe.
The waterparks were great, and was perfect for our kids. Towels were provided (though they were a bit small) and every thing was super clean. I have to give kudos to the life guard staff. They did a tremendous job. I have never seen life guards who took their work so seriously. Usually I see them at other pools chatting and standing in groups. These guards gave it 115% every second- constantly scanning the water and walking back and forth.
I also really liked that the water park was exclusive for guests of the hotel. This made the expense of the hotel well worth it.
My only real concern was the cost of the food at Buckets- the little café near the indoor water park. I gave my girls $20 for lunch, assuming that would be plenty of money. For $18, they received 3 chicken strips, an order of sweet potato fries and a fruit cup! For $7, one would assume the chicken strips would come with a handful of fries. Drinks were expensive, too. If you wanted an icee, you had to pay for the souvenir cup for $5.99. You couldn't just get the paper cup icee for $1.99 (or something like that). I also saw the employee eating out of the french fry warmer.
Check out was easy and everyone was very nice. I often saw management picking up trash and employees fixing things to make everything look great. I would venture a guess that there was some Disney training instilled in the management.
I would come back again if we return to the Dells.

2 Thank Misseulalie
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My main reason i picked this resort was for the water park, however i was pleasantly surprised of some of the other amenities.

Check in was a little slow, but wasn't a hassle. As we entered our room, family suite, it was nice. I'm use to staying at resorts so this was just nice, nothing extraordinary, but clean. I liked the wood beds and they were very comfortable. Nice balcony. My only complaint about the room was the bathroom. That was the smallest bathroom i have ever seen. If your claustrophobic, you will have a problem.

Water park Indoor, very nice. I live in Florida so I'm used to these kind of parks but it was nice to see it in Wisconsin. Areas were clean, towels are provided, Strawberry daiquiris were great, not to crowded. There a section for kids, the other section is kids and the wave pool, and the other section is when you come in with hot tubs and slides.

Water park Outside, very nice as well. I like to be in kiddie land which was fun with my nephew, but the water was soooo cold. After we got used to it, it wasnt so bad. There are plenty of life guards every where.

My only complaint about the water parks overall was that they closed at 9pm. I would think for an inside water park, it would be open much longer, so that was very disappointing. Even if they only leave one section open would have been great.

If your looking for a reasonable priced breakfast, forget it. The food was ok, but was very disappointed that adults could not get juice, considering the price of the buffet was 11.99 and extra for juice. Florida has really spoiled us cause were used to 6.99 breakfast including juice and a lot more of variety of breakfast foods. We only went once. We were waiting and waiting for our waitress to come that we used someone else waitress. I wish i could remember her name because she helped us a lot. They have a place to get ice cream and sweets and the prices were outrages. We ate at the Grill on the property and I must say, the French Onion Soup was the best. Everything else was just ok,

Game Room - very fun, no complaints

Overall, I give the resort 4 stars. If they pool was open longer, cheaper food prices, bigger bathroom, and a quicker check in, i would have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be near the game room and water park, dont stay on first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JGSWOMAN
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Traveled to Wisconsin Dells in July/Aug 2014. 2Q room was very spacious, and both room and hotel were extremely clean. Even saw staff cleaning railings in hallways! The waterpark area was also very clean, and staff attentive without being constant "whistle-blowers." Water was tolerable temperature, and slides very fun for 10 and 7 yr old. There are many hotels in the Dells advertising rates under $100, but once we drove by them, we were so thankful to be staying at a place that allows only hotel guests to use pools, and we were also thankful to spend a bit more to get a lodge-resort feel. The kids LOVED MagiQuest, as well! Would love to go back some day!

Room Tip: Choose room on top floor away from waterpark area. Back of hotel faces highway, so those rooms may b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KJB1978
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Traveled August 2014 with 2 couples and 4 kids ages 10 to 10 months. Check in was a breeze! Front desk staffed with 4 people to get people through quicker. Rooms were great, good size and clean. Water parks all clean, well staffed with attentive, friendly staff. Can;t say enough about all staff at resort. Everyone is so helpful and courteous. Water parks are perfect for children in the age group we traveled with. NEVER felt crowded. Food at outdoor pool grill was good.
We have stayed in other large resorts in the Dells, Great Wolf hands down is the best! Never crowded, have to stay there to use the water parks, NO LINES for the slides! WOW, do not think of staying at the other big resorts, Great Wolf is perfect!!!! Close to the outlet mall and Knuckleheads, can walk to both which is convenient.

1 Thank Matt P
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our family of six consisting of four kids ages 12, 9, 6 and 3 spent two nights at the Great Wolf Aug 2014 on a little getaway. We live about three hours from the Dells and this is the fourth waterpark resort we have tried. We really enjoyed our stay! I was a little nervous before going because I had read it was more for small children and my older kids are daredevils but they greatly enjoyed the stay as well and are already asking to go back!

Check in was quick and efficient. We got two paw passes for the kids to share which ended up being a GREAT deal. The boys got the magic quest games and wands and both felt it was their most favorite thing to do. The girls used the build a bear. We shared the cups, candy, ice cream and other goodies that came with the pass.

Location is excellent, near many eateries and an outlet mall which we walked over to. It was a short drive to the downtown area and other attractions. The waterpark consisted of three areas and an outdoor park. It was a little on the cool side so we didnt spend much time outdoors. The indoor park areas were fun. There were plenty of slides for our three year old to enjoy that were perfect for her. She also enjoyed the large wave pool which was warm and fun. The older three enjoyed the various slides, with Howlin tornado being the favorite. There were three other tube slides and some mat racers we all enjoyed as well as a few body slides. Only thing I missed that other parks had was a decent lazy river. Staff in the waterparks were so vigilant, we were really impressed. I also really liked the fact that the dont admit outside guests, you must be staying at the resort. It never seemed crowded at all.

The storytime and clock show in the lobby were loved by our youngest, and definitely geared to the younger set, but truly with the magic quest and some of the bigger slides, our older kids seemed to have just as much fun.

Our room was a kids cabin and it was a super cute set up with a bunk bed and daybed in the cabin part and then a queen and pull out in the main part. Kids felt the beds were a bit hard but were so tired they fell asleep quickly at night. We enjoyed having our own private balcony. Room was clean and in good repair.

We would not hesitate coming back to this resort, but will probably continue trying other parks as well as each place has something different to offer!

2 Thank tln331
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our group of 5 age 71 to 8 had a fantastic time. Our room was clean, service was prompt, the atmosphere great. The water park was a ton of fun. Check-in was a bit slow but we expected to wait. The lobby has a pine scent - nice touch. Every staff member was helpful and friendly. All staff members greeted us in the halls. The water park is clean and well maintained. Super fun water slides. The tornado slide is a must. Be ready to climb a lot of stairs. The lifeguards are spot-on. Every inch of the water is being watched like a hawk. Safety is taken very seriously at Great Wolf Lodge. Before we left we were planning our return visit. Our kids, 13 & 8 loved it. Grandpa loved it too. We highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Sarge000