“Great for the whole family, but beware . . .”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 28 July 2007

We stayed here for two nights and were really happy with the cleanliness of the entire hotel and the comfort of the beds and room's atmosphere. We were a family of 14 (ages 4 - 60) staying in the condo, and we had plenty of room, which is hard to believe. With the full kitchen, we saved $$ on no eating out as often, and were able to enjoy full nice meals, especially breakfast. The major problem we had was items (Sketcher shoes and a Weight Watchers book) were missing when it was time to pack and leave (and we even left a large tip the first morning for the cleaning lady). Unfortunately, we haven't heard back how the "investigation" went (over a week), but we're very disappointed how it was handled. We all individually travel a lot, and have never had items missing from our rooms from any other resort or hotel. If there ever is a resolution to this situation, I'll update this review. Just beware to NOT leave any valuables in your room (our safe didn't work in the rooms, either).

4  Thank mzraap
There are newer reviews for Great Wolf Lodge

Reviewed 27 July 2007

Our family of six just returned from a two night stay at the Great Wolf. This was our second trip there, and the first that included our two youngest.

The age range of our kids is 4 - 11. There was plenty of water activities to suit each one. I believe the hotel was at capacity, but the few lines that we found were pretty short.

The standard rooms were quite comfortable, with two queen beds, a pullout sofa, two sinks, a separate shower and toilet area, a fridge, and a balcony.

Reviewed 24 July 2007

We have a family of 5. Three children ages 14, 11, & 5. They all were kept busy at the water park during our stay. The Lodge was very accomodating. Our room was very clean. We had a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa. The Lodge was at capacity the day we left and they were no long lines for any of the water park slides. Their water park is not open to the public only guests are allowed to use it. We were also able to purchase event tickets at 20% off from the Lodge. Included with your stay is Wiley's World. Again all the kids had a blast there. You gather foam balls and use them in the machines to get points. We all worked together and got high score for the day. You climb and slide throughout the place. You can also shoot the balls at each other. There is reading involved with each machine but my 5 year old still had a blast. We are planning to go back for a weekend get away in a few months. The whole family loved it.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank goingCentralIllinois
Reviewed 20 July 2007

This was our second visit to the Great Wolf. I would say our first visit was better. The room was clean, but the beds were a killer. The mattresses were very wore out in my opinion. One would think for what they charge for a room the mattresses would be better.

As for the Service, you don't want to be told when you call and ask for an extra blanket & pillow that the resort is at 100% capacity and they can't supply you with that. This only reason we needed the blanket was because the one on the sofa sleeper was so thin that you could see through it. After my wife got a little irrate with them miraculously 30 minutes later they showed up with what we asked for. So I will have to give them that.

The waterpark was OK. It did seem to have less life guards then the last time we visited. This makes me wonder if they are cutting cost.

1  Thank Dukeis
Reviewed 18 July 2007

I was so worried about this trip and my choice in resorts. I was especially worried about my thrill seeking teenagers.

A little about us: we don’t like crowds; we love adventure and being treated like our business is appreciated. “We” are myself, my husband, and two teenage sons.

I got our reservation directly from the GWL in the Dells on the internet. I confirmed our reservations on the way. Our check-in was smooth and fast. I realized before we got to the room that I didn’t have vouchers for breakfast that was included with our reservation. I called and someone from the front desk brought them to our room.

Our room was exactly as it was shown on the internet. We got a water park level room and we were directly across from the water park on the 1st level. I really wish I would have asked for a tour because we were a little confused about where everything was.

We got in our swimsuits and went directly to the tornado. We loved it!! There wasn’t a line so we rode it over and over. I wish they had a way of getting the tubes up there for us because it was exhausting!! Anyway, from there we went to where the wave pool and race mats were (Bear Claw). That was a lot of fun also. We spent a lot of time there.

We also liked playing basketball, sitting in the hot tub, going to the area with the dumping bucket and doing the body slides there. The body slides and mat slides are my favorite because the tubes get so heavy.

Housekeeping did a good job of keeping fresh towels and wiping down the tub and sink, etc. We were directly across from the laundry room which worked well for us.

Breakfast at Wiley’s Buffet was included. It would have been $9.99 per person if we didn’t have the vouchers. I got the fresh omelets every day and my family was happy with the variety of things to choose from. It was the same every day which was ok for us. It was a little chaotic but the wait staff was good and attentive.

We stopped at Walmart and got water, soda’s, and snacks and used the refrigerator and microwave often. We didn’t notice whether the restaurants were expensive or not because we only used the buffet that was free for us. This really helped keep our costs down. We did it for convenience and ended up spending a lot less then expected on this vacation.

The GWL is right next to Tanger Outlet Mall and we got a lot of school shopping done with great savings. I was able to walk there from our room. Tanger was clean and had great deals.

We were also close to a cinema. We planned on seeing the new Harry Potter movie but were exhausted by the time evening came and didn’t check it out.

There was a noisy family above our room. I met them while walking to the lobby. I don’t know what I expected these noise makers to look like but I was surprised at how clean cut and normal they looked. I have never had this problem before so I am not sure if there is an insulation problem or if these people were especially active. I didn’t hear a sound from the rooms next to us (only above).

Check out was easy. We could have done it from our room but we decided to grab some brochures for a friend who is going to the Dells in August. But it was smooth.

All in all the Great Wolf Lodge met and slightly exceeded our expectations and we will certainly stay there when we visit the Dells. Based on this visit we are going to the GWL in Kansas City for New Years. I didn’t give them 5 stars because it could have been a little cleaner and other minor things like not being able to find the towels in the water parks or finding someone to do the rock climbing.

Pro’s:
Location
The water park
Friendly life guards and front desk
Included breakfast (a special)

Cons:
Could be a little more to do for older kids and adults
Noise from the floor above us
I didn’t find anything showing us how to get around other than signs (no map)
The beds are a little uncomfortable but ok for a few days

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank GinaTay
Reviewed 17 July 2007

Very nice weekend at Great Wolf. Although the resort was booked solid, the waterparks were never overly crowded. This resort is geared more towards the smaller children, so our 6 and 2 yr. olds really enjoyed themselves. The only negative was that they keep the doors to the outside opened and the cooler air comes into the indoor section. Even though it was reasonably warm outside, you could really feel the difference. Nice resort and a great time. If your children are in the 10 yrs. or older category, you might want to try Kalahari as it has more exciting rides. For younger ones, this is just right.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank Zagloba
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We stayed here for 2 nights with our 5yr. old and 2yr. old. I am comparing to the Wilderness, as we've stayed there twice before. This has the same 'northwoods' theme, but more of a Native American theme, as well. Like the Wilderness, waterpark entry is to guests only. This is great - it keeps the crowding down. Although we were there at comparable times of year, and both weekdays, the Great Wolf felt less crowded than the Wilderness.

I was most impressed with the variety of waterpark activities - instead of 2 giant rooms that the Wilderness has, the Great Wolf has 3 (or 4 - I lost track) separate rooms. All are big areas, with lots of different activities. I liked that each area had things for younger kids and older kids. Our 5 yr old could ride nearly everything (at 45 in. tall) and had a blast. Our 2 yr old also had lots of fun - little kids slides, splash pads and fountains, etc. The outdoor area has a fun little pool with bumper boats that my kids thought was a blast. My husband and I also enjoyed going down many of the water slides - especially the mat racers. Wow! They go really fast!

The breakfast buffet (Camp Critter) was bountiful, fresh, with made to order omelets. Not cheap - $10 per adult, $4 per child, under 3 free, but all you can eat, and we took cereal and yogurt back to the rooms with us as a snack for later.

The 'Loose Moose' restaurant, on the other hand, was thumbs-down. The hot dog off the children's menu was very big and tough skinned - almost like a polish sausage, and difficult to cut up and tasted funny. The Caesar salad was just iceburg lettuce and croutons. The Chicken Parmesean Sandwich was downright icky. It was bland and the cheese tasted slightly funny. I had a stomache later that evening. :-( We joked that maybe the name 'Loose Moose' implied the impending diarrhea, but thankfully I was spared that!

The much better restaurant is the MOOSEJAW in town - great pizza place (and lots of other choices) with a wonderful selection of microbrew beers, clean, delicious. Well worth a trip 'off resort'.

Wiley's Woods, the dry play area, was ok - but not as fun as the dry play area at Wilderness. The whole theme is collecting the balls to get points, which my kids didn't really understand. Maybe older kids would really enjoy that. Also, there is no place to sit for little kids to play that is protected from the noise. Our 2 yr old thought it was ok, but the 2nd day was upset by how loud it was.

Our room was very spacious - we had the family suite, which is one room (with balcony), 2 queen beds, and a 1/2 wall with a sleeper sofa on the other side. They provided a pack-n-play, so that was nice. Our room was clean and the beds were reasonably comfortable. The mini-fridge is nice to have drinks and snacks in. As part of the 2 night package deal, we got 2 free kids' T-shirts and 100 tokens for the arcade. The T-shirts were cute - they were the color-your-own style. The arcade tokens were a nice activity - and 100 tokens is about $25 worth! most games are 2-3 tokens.

Another fun item was the nightly 'show'. The big clock tower in the lobby has moving characters that perform a little 10 min show at 8pm. It's followed by 'story time' with a staff member and the Wiley Wolf character. The staff member was definitely not headed for a future in Early Childhood education, as she seemed VERY bored with the story time. Of course, my kids enjoyed it anyway! A nice way to wrap up the evening, and we appreciated it was at a decent hour. They do have another show at 9pm, in case some little ones miss the first one.

5  Thank ldeninge